League Settings

Need the Commissioner to take care of something? Post here.
Ted
Ex-GM

Re: League Settings

Post by Ted » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:56 pm

RonCo wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:39 pm
Just note: I'm not saying "OOTP is fine," here. I'm saying OOTP is what it is, and the BBA is fine enough.

But, yes, I agree 100% that the BBA is not the MLB in this area, and if you want to apply MLB scales to us, you're going to be disappointed. I'm open to ideas here, but unless we remove the salary cap completely I cannot think of a way to match the MLB in any way that will be "right."
Ron, here is more of your argument that what is is fine because it is what it is. You are a master of circular reasoning. You continually ignore that what IS the BBA is different than it used to be. Which means it doesn't HAVE to be this way. You propose a passive acceptance of bad coding of a game and say "that's how it HAS to work".

No it doesn't. The modifiers for projected salaries could work. And if they mean what you propose (i.e. they are a "floor", and FA's will get more than the set amounts, etc) then that could be explained in the manual, so we could set them in a way that worked the way we wanted.

This is a bad part of the game that is poorly coded. Stop making excuses for the devs.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi, Ted. :)

If you want to fight for change in how the game is coded, I'd love to have you come join the beta team and push them to make fundamental changes. You would be a great ally there and we could make arguments together. I would absolutely love that.

In the BBA, however, we can only work with what we've got.

I've agreed with several of your points. But I admit I enjoy the game even as it is, and you've clearly said you do not. If the league wants to adjust the salary level of the "typical" BBA player down a little to try to make demands less large, I'm fine with that. I don't think it will do a whole lot...if I'm right adjusting it down to $12M, for example, would scale demands to $24M, give or take, but whatever.

I'm not trying to defend the development team so much as I'm trying to explain how things work and what that might mean to us in the BBA. At the end of the day, this is how OOTP is pushing more players to go to free agency rather than sign extensions. It might be easier on GMs if they would just say "I'm going to free agency," and be done with it. Once the player goes to Free Agency, this is how they are working to extract max cash from us as GMs. In the big picture, it works.

What the devs are not attempting to do is to mimic the MLB salary structure or its negotiation cycle (unless we set up our league to look just like the MLB, anyway).
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:24 pm

RonCo wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:19 pm
  • Superstar Basement level (minimum they'll agree to): $11M-$14M per, some higher
  • Superstar FA Asking Price: $26-$28M per
  • Superstar Most Likely Signing Level (assuming "routine" market forces driving BBA GMs): $17-$20M per
  • Superstar Extension Demands: $16M-$22M (depending on lots of factors)
I'd have to agree. Average superstar equaling $14M means that's average, not basement. If we are looking at "top-level" superstars asking for $26M, that should also mean there are some superstars out there that are asking for $2M. I want one of those guys.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ping: Commish”