Are Drafts Shitty?

League-related polls only (use OT Forum for OT polls).

Are Drafts Shitty?

Yes, BBA drafts are a joke. No one want's to rebuild because all they will get are a bunch of useless 45-50 POT scrubs in the first round.
25%
No, of course not silly. Drafts are fine. Stop crying about it. No one cares about your opinions.
75%
Who cares? Using the draft to rebuild is actually the least efficient way. You should be making good trades and looking for value.
No votes

Total votes: 8

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Are Drafts Shitty?

Post by BaseClogger » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:59 pm

I get the sense allowing draft pick trades would actually hurt parity because experienced GMs would properly value them.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:40 pm

neugey wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:44 pm
Although it is a bit more whiny than I really feel, I voted the first option for two reasons:

1) During my Draft Rewind features, I've seen how good drafts used to be, and they've fallen off a fair amount
2) Can't trade draft picks in the BBA, so rebuilding through the draft unless it's real slow and gradual is not as viable in this league compared to others that allow moving around in the draft.
Couldn’t possibly disagree more on point number 2. We don’t have to wait to trade players recently drafted. You are absolutely free to find a willing trade partner higher up the draft board and make a swap post draft. Draft pick trading kills franchises.
GM Vancouver Mounties

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Post by jiminyhopkins » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:51 pm

neugey wrote:
Although it is a bit more whiny than I really feel, I voted the first option for two reasons:

1) During my Draft Rewind features, I've seen how good drafts used to be, and they've fallen off a fair amount
2) Can't trade draft picks in the BBA, so rebuilding through the draft unless it's real slow and gradual is not as viable in this league compared to others that allow moving around in the draft.
Rebuilding through the draft is definitely not viable. Unless you TANK for like 5 straight seasons to get a few top 5 picks, Astros style. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with first round 45-50 POT replacement level players if you pick anywhere outside the single digits.

Weak drafts encourage tanking. Deep drafts discourage it.

But hey, this is "realistic" and I just have to "adjust expectations."
GM, 2051, 2053, and 2058 JL WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2058)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:57 pm

jiminyhopkins wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:51 pm
neugey wrote:

Rebuilding through the draft is definitely not viable. Unless you TANK for like 5 straight seasons to get a few top 5 picks, Astros style. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with first round 45-50 POT replacement level players if you pick anywhere outside the single digits.

deep drafts without immense attrition throw off league ratings, as we have now. this makes it difficult for new and even longtime GMs to properly evaluate talent and build teams.

now, we could have a "deep" draft where the top of the draft is 55 ovr and the bottom of the draft is 45 ovr...
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Post by jiminyhopkins » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:24 pm

Lane wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:57 pm

now, we could have a "deep" draft where the top of the draft is 55 ovr and the bottom of the draft is 45 ovr...

LOL, sounds like my Single A team :D
GM, 2051, 2053, and 2058 JL WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2058)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:29 pm

It does seem/feel that development might be off a bit. I can’t think of a single player in my org that has really drastically improved in the last few years. Maybe it’s luck. Maybe it’s my staff. Maybe it’s voodoo.

Not trying to complain or anything - but might be something to look into a bit and see if it’s a real issue or just my perception.

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:17 pm

Lane wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:57 pm
jiminyhopkins wrote:
neugey wrote:

deep drafts without immense attrition throw off league ratings, as we have now. this makes it difficult for new and even longtime GMs to properly evaluate talent and build teams.

As somebody who recently joined the league, it took me two BBA seasons to calibrate to the league’s ratings. I found it very difficult on top of learning the league itself.

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:40 am

jiminyhopkins wrote:
neugey wrote:

But it’s crazy how teams like the Dodgers can continuously draft well in there late rounds year after year. Maybe be it isn’t a talent problem. Maybe it’s an evaluator problem.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:13 am

jiminyhopkins wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:53 pm
Tip of the hat to the conspiracy to deny me the 10 votes needed for two points in the poll. Good on ya mates!

I got u to 8!

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:02 am

The hardest thing I find about the draft in this league is that we've got so many teams. I'm in another league with 16 teams, so my picking coming up at the end of round 2 is going to be about what I was able to get two-thirds of the way through the first round here. Also, as someone else noted, the inability to trade picks means we can load up on multiple lottery tickets. It's all pretty realistic in this way. Drafting is only one part of the process.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

pandan
Ex-GM

Post by pandan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:40 am

I'm guessing in part it is a perception problem -- if the top end of the draft is rated to have potential that isn't significantly above league average, the draft will look shitty by comparison. I can see how drafting can feel like a waste if even the worst teams can't stand to meaningfully improve by it.

That said, I can see the argument how this mirrors reality -- not every draft class has a stud, and players at the top end (70/80 grade) should not be common, drafts only produce so many viable ML players, and players that get rated 35/40 find their way onto 40-man rosters regularly.

What doesn't mirror reality well is the state of FA -- it's opening day and there are loads of 55+ rated guys waiting for a contract -- this feels unrealistic. I can see how lower quality drafts are a way to help correct it, even if it feels worse for teams not actively ready to compete (or who can't afford their demands).

As a newbie, less sure how teams can play up the dev angle to get an advantage w/o the dev budget (I'm sure there's a fine reason we don't use it here), but curious if there's enough TCR to help simulate this. I do wonder if players showing up w/ higher potential ratings that flame out does a better job of mirroring reality though, vs. baking in that most of these guys likely won't amount to much. Lots of tradeoffs here, appreciate the discussion.

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:49 am

pandan wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:40 am
I'm guessing in part it is a perception problem -- if the top end of the draft is rated to have potential that isn't significantly above league average, the draft will look shitty by comparison. I can see how drafting can feel like a waste if even the worst teams can't stand to meaningfully improve by it.

That said, I can see the argument how this mirrors reality -- not every draft class has a stud, and players at the top end (70/80 grade) should not be common, drafts only produce so many viable ML players, and players that get rated 35/40 find their way onto 40-man rosters regularly.

What doesn't mirror reality well is the state of FA -- it's opening day and there are loads of 55+ rated guys waiting for a contract -- this feels unrealistic. I can see how lower quality drafts are a way to help correct it, even if it feels worse for teams not actively ready to compete (or who can't afford their demands).

As a newbie, less sure how teams can play up the dev angle to get an advantage w/o the dev budget (I'm sure there's a fine reason we don't use it here), but curious if there's enough TCR to help simulate this. I do wonder if players showing up w/ higher potential ratings that flame out does a better job of mirroring reality though, vs. baking in that most of these guys likely won't amount to much. Lots of tradeoffs here, appreciate the discussion.
I don't know enough about the talent change issues that you bring up to comment on, but I believe that the glut of 55+ rated players without a contract at this point has to do with the talent bloat that we have in the league right now, that the "shitty" drafts are trying to fix.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

pandan
Ex-GM

Post by pandan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:51 am

Lane wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:49 am
pandan wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:40 am

I don't know enough about the talent change issues that you bring up to comment on, but I believe that the glut of 55+ rated players without a contract at this point has to do with the talent bloat that we have in the league right now, that the "shitty" drafts are trying to fix.
I'm not saying there is an issue w/ talent changes, I'm curious if it happens at any frequency -- haven't been here long enough to see it firsthand, but I know that'd be one way to help mitigate weaker drafts (ie players suddenly outperform their projected ratings)

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:52 am

yeah, for sure. didn't interpret it as you thinking there was a problem with it. i just wanted to be clear that it's something i haven't looked into.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

pandan
Ex-GM

Post by pandan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:56 am

All good! yeah, it'd be interesting to analyze and see if there is a decent percentage of ML players that have a higher set of ratings than initially advertised. I'm sure there are some, but curious how much. May be something I look into down the road.

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:16 am

The reason there are so many highly rated free agents left is a combo of talent bloat and ootp never (in my playing since version 13 experience) truly being able to have players adjust financial demands after pre season starts.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

pandan
Ex-GM

Post by pandan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:36 pm

Makes sense -- sounds like these players need to find a rich patron and come together to make an expansion team :cool:

DaveB
GB: JL Atlantic Division Director

Post by DaveB » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:44 am

To me it seems like there is too much talent in the league. Drafts and negative development seem to be the way the game corrects these issues over time, but when there is a large talent influx it can take up to a 10-15 years in game to sort itself out.
Charm City Jimmies GM

2046-47 UMEBA Champ for Mumbai Metro Stars
2050 UMEBA Champ for Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers
2054, 2055, 2058 Monty Brewster Champion with Charm City Jimmies

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:33 pm

The league feature highlighting the top 100 prospects is an encouraging start. 55 POT but warts or still extremely young is what seems about right for the last couple prospects included on that list.

For those of you who were in the league 10-15 seasons ago, was the top 100 prospect list littered with 70 POT prospects? How did that landscape look different?

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:41 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:33 pm
The league feature highlighting the top 100 prospects is an encouraging start. 55 POT but warts or still extremely young is what seems about right for the last couple prospects included on that list.

For those of you who were in the league 10-15 seasons ago, was the top 100 prospect list littered with 70 POT prospects? How did that landscape look different?
yes, basically. in the late 30s early 40s the ENTIRE top 100 was 70+ POT. Generally about 40 or so rated at 80. see below:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27204&p=153746&hil ... gs#p153746

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30532&p=173986&hil ... gs#p173986

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29317&p=167034&hil ... gs#p167034
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Polls”