New Poll for 4 sims a week

League-related polls only (use OT Forum for OT polls).

Are you in favor of the NEW Proposal for 4 Sims a Week for the 2042 Season?

YES
81%
NO
19%

Total votes: 37

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Re: New Poll for 4 sims a week

Post by johnd2442 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:23 pm

I voted no because I am a relative newbie at not only the BBA universe but the game. I fear that any more than three sims will be intimidating for me to keep up with, but hopefully it won't be. The mild hostility regarding the opposition to the four sims is concerning to me though and gave me pause to weigh in with; I'm doubtful my differing opinion is welcomed, but oh well. I know for me, after a long workday on a computer, that's about the last thing I would like to do, is spend more time on the computer. I have found that I will start writing an article and then a sim goes by and it feels like I've lost steam. I only speak for myself though and maybe that is the newness speaking.
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Hawaii Tropics New Schedule:

Sunday- Watch sim, drink and throw shit at the computer screen. Download file, rosterbate and export.

Monday- Write

Tuesday- see Sunday

Wednesday- see Monday

Thursday- see Sunday but drink in the A.M. Wife aint gonna like it.

Friday- A.M. see Monday P.M. see Sunday

Saturday- see Monday and do liver cleanse.
ImageImageImageImageImage

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:27 pm

Clayman wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:08 pm
crobillard wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:01 pm
Clayman wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:40 pm

Actually it's not the worst that could happen.
This is called catastrophizing. If GMs leave because of a move to 4 sims they probably weren't going to be around for long anyways since there's no heavy penalty for missing a sim. Unless that person is missing multiple sims. If they do that then they couldn't handle a three sim structure anyways.
It's called reality, I'll stick around I've put too much into the Centaurs but if I'd looked at the Brewster ad on the OOTP boards and read 4 sims, I wouldn't have read past 4 sims let alone filled an application in or joined. So no it's not "catastrophizing" its reality.

ps I know some wish I hadnt :cool:
Lol I don't think anyone wished you hadn't put in an application (that woe is me shit is pretty weak too). Some of the guys who have been around longer than me can attest to someone threatening to quit almost every time a rule change happens. It's inevitable, but I don't think anyone is actually going to quit when we have a commissioner offering to do more work and the reason they would want to quit is because they don't have enough time to write. So, it's not reality. There might be another reason they want to quit, but if you're that invested into your team that you want to maximize your writing time, I think you'll be okay.

I want to emphatically state that I don't want anyone to leave either. If you disagree with me, that's okay. I wish you had a better argument for it that I could agree with, but that doesn't mean I want anyone to leave the league. I disagree with many people in this league on many different topics and we still joke around and I recognize them as excellent GMs.

One more thing, you mentioned the OOTP boards and four sims, I want to amplify this as much as I can, this move to four sims is not a permanent change. The reason I am mentioning that is because I would agree with you. If this was a four sim league I wouldn't join. I don't think I have the time, but this situation is different. Most of the league is at home and we want more BBA so that we can forget the daily challenges we have just for a little more time, one more sim worth. I hope you can come around to agree at some point that this is best for everyone in the league and if not, I hope you and anyone else who disagrees with me will tolerate it anyways.

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:33 pm

The only thing i'd ask (and i brought this up last time too) is can we pause a sum during the trade deadline?

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:36 pm

johnd2442 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:23 pm
I voted no because I am a relative newbie at not only the BBA universe but the game. I fear that any more than three sims will be intimidating for me to keep up with, but hopefully it won't be. The mild hostility regarding the opposition to the four sims is concerning to me though and gave me pause to weigh in with; I'm doubtful my differing opinion is welcomed, but oh well. I know for me, after a long workday on a computer, that's about the last thing I would like to do, is spend more time on the computer. I have found that I will start writing an article and then a sim goes by and it feels like I've lost steam. I only speak for myself though and maybe that is the newness speaking.
I totally understand your concern. The BBA is a wild monster of a league and for someone new to the game too, I can imagine it being a bigger issue when a sim schedule increases frequency. I can't offer any tips on many of the specific issues you're facing, but feel free to reach out to me with any questions about the game or the BBA. I can try and help there of course. I will always welcome different opinions too. I think different opinions is what makes anything great and this league in particular always benefits from the many different perspectives GMs have, so I appreciate your post. I know how daunting it can feel when there are a lot of passionate opinions weighing it.

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:40 pm

Right now this is passing with a 5/6 majority.

Listen, nobody has to vote yes. If you voted no we respect your opinion on this. That said, writing about every fourth sim would exceed the writing requirements for the league. That's still once a week. How busy are you and how many roster moves are you making that you don't have the additional half an hour to write per week?

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Post by johnd2442 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:58 pm

crobillard wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:36 pm
johnd2442 wrote:
I totally understand your concern. The BBA is a wild monster of a league and for someone new to the game too, I can imagine it being a bigger issue when a sim schedule increases frequency. I can't offer any tips on many of the specific issues you're facing, but feel free to reach out to me with any questions about the game or the BBA. I can try and help there of course. I will always welcome different opinions too. I think different opinions is what makes anything great and this league in particular always benefits from the many different perspectives GMs have, so I appreciate your post. I know how daunting it can feel when there are a lot of passionate opinions weighing it.
I am grateful for your post and only wished that you'd extended this courtesy and patience with previous posts which exhibited resistance to the idea of four sims per week. I hope you really do feel that different opinions truly are what makes anything great. It didn't seem that way reading previous posts. My quandary to post my opinion wasn't so much daunting as it was being perplexed at the impatience regarding the posts that were not fully embracing the four sims. I don't mean this to be a downtrodden and negative post. I hope that this does not come off badly, as it is not intended to. I have felt fortunate to be welcomed in by quite a few friendly folks in the BBA universe which has made me happy to be a part of it and hadn't witnessed that before, so it was a touch unsettling to me. Granted, my time in the BBA universe has been quite brief. Still, I thank you for the invitation to reach out to you. I may take you up on that. I can always learn a lot from the seasoned vets in the league, especially those like you have won a Landis trophy.
aaronweiner wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:40 pm
Listen, nobody has to vote yes. If you voted no we respect your opinion on this. That said, writing about every fourth sim would exceed the writing requirements for the league. That's still once a week. How busy are you and how many roster moves are you making that you don't have the additional half an hour to write per week?
I really hope everyone does respect differing opinions on this and other matters in the future. I can't speak for others, but I am trying to fill my time with a lot of things in this strange and bizarre time, so I do feel busy. If you respect opinions about it, I hope you, and others, will respect that as well, and I will respect everyone's enthusiasm for the four sims per week even though I do not currently share it. Though maybe I will share it eventually.

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:59 pm

I’ve changed my vote solely because I have developed a solid routine during this quarantine and the extra day off between Th-Su is filled with nothingness. Sim, I do FUBAR and a TN after breakfast. Then....... stare out the window. It’s a good routine. It fills the time until I feel good about drinking. Typically after Noon.

I’ve even joined in over on Slack now and feel, dirty.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Clayman
Ex-GM

Post by Clayman » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:04 pm

johnd2442 wrote:
The mild hostility regarding the opposition to the four sims is concerning to me though and gave me pause to weigh in
This sentence made me think and I hope it happens in future, can all league deciding votes be made that you can't see the voters name. There as been put downs and "mild hostility" in this discussion which doesn't make it a totally friendly voting environment, we saw into the future in the last 4 sim thread things can get heated so I propose all future polls involving league changes should be anonymous. I think other votes can stay the same not like there's going to be a flame war between a burger and hotdog discussion. ;)
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2051 75-87
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2049 72-81
Valencia Stars 2045-2047 185-301
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2042-2043 112-118
Cairo Chariot Archers BC 2041 8-5

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:12 pm

Lol... wtf?
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Post by johnd2442 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Clayman wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:04 pm
johnd2442 wrote:
The mild hostility regarding the opposition to the four sims is concerning to me though and gave me pause to weigh in
This sentence made me think and I hope it happens in future, can all league deciding votes be made that you can't see the voters name. There as been put downs and "mild hostility" in this discussion which doesn't make it a totally friendly voting environment, we saw into the future in the last 4 sim thread things can get heated so I propose all future polls involving league changes should be anonymous. I think other votes can stay the same not like there's going to be a flame war between a burger and hotdog discussion. ;)
Athens, you better watch yourself! I'm not sure really what "watching yourself" means, but I have been commanded by Cairo's owner to throw shade at Athens early and often.

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Listen guys, especially John...I don't mind differing opinions. But there have been lots of arguments here presenting with logical fallacies, and in the last discussion about this there were untrue statements being made. So if I seem mildly hostile that's why.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Clayman
Ex-GM

Post by Clayman » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:54 pm

I'll have it written on my grave.
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Post by shoeless.db » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:58 pm

I’m voting yes as life has become one giant groundhogs day. With so little to look forward to, it’s kind of nice to have more fake baseball with my fellow fake baseball nerds. Fake baseball onward!
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Clayman
Ex-GM

Post by Clayman » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:00 pm

crobillard wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:27 pm
(that woe is me shit is pretty weak too).
Tongue in cheek dear boy hence the smilie.
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Post by jiminyhopkins » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:15 pm

This shit is amazing. I love it. Reminds me of all the controversies we'd have in the old GBC. Mosey, Rising, and Browne would be proud!
GM, 2051, 2053, and 2058 JL WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2058)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

Clayman
Ex-GM

Post by Clayman » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:21 pm

jiminyhopkins wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:15 pm
This shit is amazing. I love it. Reminds me of all the controversies we'd have in the old GBC. Mosey, Rising, and Browne would be proud!
I've no problem with a bit of banter, me and Cairo John have a go at each other but I do take exception when people take pot shots knowing full well their standing in the league is their shield. I actually thought it was me being soft until GMs pm'd me and said the same thing I was thinking. But hey ho not much you can do but ignore it in future.
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:25 pm

I hope the one thing we take from all this was James' fantastic contribution to the OOTP lexicon that is "rosterbate".
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:41 pm

aaronweiner wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:40 pm
Right now this is passing with a 5/6 majority.

We’ve been quite good as a league this year, only a couple of GM’s haven’t managed to find time to write any TN’s yet. I can assure you though the amount of writing that Ron, Vic and myself to name three of the current prolific writers takes a lot more than “half an hour” to produce each sim. Perhaps if everyone spent “half an hour” we might get a lot of writing and not have the normal “three-day rush” to meet the six TN deadline. Thankfully we shouldn’t have that this year anyway
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:30 pm

I think it's helpful to remember we're here to have fun.

What guys like Neil and John and Nigel are talking about when it comes to writing is a different thing. Nigel and Neill are trying to create a tapestry of organizational history and it's fair to not that the crunched schedule will make that a lot harder. So, that's a sacrifice if we go to a temporary increase. The sacrifice may well be worth it in that we suddenly have a different environment to deal with. If the Brewster can be made a better shelter from the storm for some guys moving more quickly, I'm certainly willing to give up a few TN. :) But it's important to realize that this is actually a sacrifice and not just a couple guys bitching for no reason. :)

Here's the thing though ... This is the most unique league in the world as far as I'm concerned, and while it doesn't do everything the way I would personally design it, I'd be lost without it--and by that I mean without the collection of people who make it great. So, whatever we do, let's do it with that idea in mind. Matt, I've come to believe, is brilliant when it comes to making decisions the league needs him to make (even when I don't love them).

I admit there's a breathing thing that goes on in that extra day. On the whole, and in a usual period, I prefer three. That said, I find this change makes four sims workable--to Randy's point before, the 24-hour turn around is bad not for writing but for purely the ability to export. This was why my own proposal was every other day.

Regardless, as I noted in the first go around, it might be helpful to note that historically--when I got here, anyway--the league ran 10-day sims three times a week (30 games a week), and there was plenty of time to meet writing _requirements._ This would mean 28 games a week, which is slower than the old days...so as far as raw requirements go I don't see it a big deal. If, assuming this is enacted, someone has concerns with meeting requirements, feel free to PM me and we'll work something out.

And remember...the expectation is to go to back three sims whenever it makes sense. If we've changed, and then the world gets through this period and the Brewster doesn't go back, then we can have a different conversation.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Polls”