You get the point, Mark Dempsey. Wait, he's more interesting than he seems.

League-related polls only (use OT Forum for OT polls).

Should Mark Demspey bet on himself and go to FA?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 12

Ted
Ex-GM

You get the point, Mark Dempsey. Wait, he's more interesting than he seems.

Post by Ted » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:21 pm

I'm going to do something new this offseason with free agents, so I figured I'd rack up some easy PP as a way to research the market. It should help you guys to with some questions I'll later be asking you. We've been wondering how good OOTP is at players judging the market when deciding on player opt outs and options. It does feel like a mixed bag so far. So, before we get to the wonderful day where we all figure out who is screwed and who is not so much, let's see what we think. Remember, I'm asking you, SHOULD this player opt out. Not whether you expect them to do so. With each player I ask about, I'll try to give a little background. Feel free to discuss.

Mark Dempsey

So, the story goes that Demspey was a great third baseman and the cornerstone of New Orleans franchise for a decade. Then he signs a 5 year, 54 million dollar deal before the 2035 season, after it became clear he could barely play third anymore and managed a 1.1 WAR year. The deal is clearly structured to be a three year at most deal, with an opt out before years 4 and 5, and both of those team options. He was okay in year 1 (3.4 WAR) bad in year 2 (1.4 WAR) and then somehow puts up a 3.7 WAR year in his age 34 season. So, if he doesn't opt out, he can make at most 10.09 and 12.09 million (so 22 or so mil) the next two years. Frankly, those are bargain FA prices for a 3+ win player and he'd be dumb to opt in. ON the other hand, does he think he's a 3+ win player still. Those are both TO's, so he could pick up the buyouts of 1.35 and 2.5 mil for and go back to FA.

I'll have to think about this one. I know what the GM in me thinks, but I'm having a hard time getting into the mind of the player on this one.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

agrudez
Ex-GM

Re: You get the point, Mark Dempsey. Wait, he's more interesting than he seems.

Post by agrudez » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:30 pm

How in the world does a 3B with TWO range have a positive ZR? I don't get this game at all sometimes. I honestly didn't even think you got to keep your 3B rating with a <3 range. Anyway...

Dempsey might think he's "still got it", but if I'm his agent I'm advising him not to get too high on last year's half season worth of stats. At 3B you're an above average bat/bad glove and at 1B you're an average glove/average bat. No one is giving you, especially at your age, 8 figures to match what you'd be walking away from.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:47 pm

The money is probably a wash either choice... so if I'm Dempsey the question is more about whether I think I can win a Landis with the blazers or not.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:58 pm

I hope he opts out...id take him back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Polls”