2057 - Ernesto Gonzalez- Last Man Standing

Backstory and history of a particular player- make them come to life!
chicoruiz
BBA GM

2057 - Ernesto Gonzalez- Last Man Standing

Post by chicoruiz » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:29 pm

January, 2057

Outside the house, the winter was unusually cold and snowy for Maryland, even in winter. But inside the house, it couldn’t be cozier- a stone fireplace reaching two stories high, and Ernesto Gonzalez and I relaxing in front of it with drinks in our hands, watching the snowfall through the huge picture windows.

“I’m sorry the weather has taken such a turn, said Ernesto. “I was looking forward to showing you our stables.”

“Stables? Do you have race horses?”

He laughed. “Maybe someday. I do admit I get the itch sometimes, but thoroughbred racing is an excellent way to lose a lot of money. No, these are just a few old nags for my family and I to play around with when we get the chance. They’re just blue-collar- kind of like I am with baseball.”

“I’d hardly call you blue-collar. You should reach 3000 hits this season, and that’s pretty rarified air. So tell me about your early life…were you raised around here?”

“Yes, just over in Bethesda. My grandparents settled here many years ago, and my grandfather worked as a laborer for a landscape service. He planted many of the trees you see around here, back when a United States Senator owned the house and grounds...

“Grandfather's hard work put my father through school getting his degree in horticulture. My father eventually bought the landscape business, so he’s also responsible for a lot of what you see around here. And now I own the house; all from playing a child’s game. America, eh?”

“How were they about you making a career in baseball?”

“Oh, they were okay. My father was actually fine with whatever I did, but I did get some pushback from my mother about leaving home at 18 and forgoing college. I wish you could meet them; they take care of the place for me during the baseball season, then they’re Florida snowbirds in the winter. It works out pretty well”

“What was it like moving away from home at that young age?”

“Very much a period of adjustment. Everyone kept saying, “Oh…you speak good English”. I told them, “I had better… my mother is a high school English teacher”. People make assumptions based on your name. Anyway, I did not do well at Albany my first year, and I think my mom secretly hoped I’d give it up, come back home and get an education. But things started to look up for me baseball-wise; I made the majors at age 21 and never looked back.”

“That’s for sure. At age 22 you scored 134 runs and hit 60 doubles. In fact, you’ve been a doubles machine your whole career- one of the all-time leaders in BBA history. What does it take to hit so many doubles?”

“I don’t really know. I guess it’s a glass half empty or half full thing. Obviously it means I hit the ball hard a lot, and that’s great. But of course, if I could have just elevated my swing a bit, those would be home runs, and I’d be a Hall of Fame candidate.”

“Well, you’re being modest, but assuming you top 3000 hits this year, I’d say you’re still a pretty strong candidate. So, what are your fondest memories of your sixteen seasons with the Gamblers?”

“I’d say the great teams we had a few years ago. Flores, Rivera, Romero, Moreno… It was an honor to put on the same uniform as those guys. And they were all of Hispanic descent, so I felt like I had something in common with them, even though my Spanish is not so good.”

“Did it kind of hurt to see those players leave one by one, and for you to be the last man standing from those great teams, and going through a rebuilding stage?”

“Oh, I miss them, for sure. And anyone who says losing doesn’t bother them shouldn’t be in the sport. But I tell myself, it’s fun to see the young players come up... and in baseball, anything can happen. The team could become a contender while I’m still here, or I could play out my contract this year and decide to play somewhere else..

“Either way, I’m at peace.” He spreads his arms wide… “How can I ever complain about a path that has led me here?”
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Return to “Player Spotlights”