Someone Sign Slawomir!

Backstory and history of a particular player- make them come to life!
pandan
Ex-GM

Someone Sign Slawomir!

Post by pandan » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:13 pm

Browsing free agency recently (as I always do looking for a deal), I came across a relief pitcher who I was shocked was still available in free agency. RP Slawomir Trcinski is arguably the best relief pitcher on the market, and if not the best, certainly in the top 5.

In this post, I will make the case that you should sign Slawomir. He won't sign with me in London. Slaw's got his sights set on the BBA.

Background -- Who Is Slawomir Trcinski?
29 year old Slawomir Trcinski was born in 2026 in Zielona Góra, in Poland's western region. His baseball career began in Copenhagan, where he pitched for 2 seasons. He was regarded as a non-prospect at the time, boasting a humble set of pitch ratings in 2044.
Stuff: 4 (5); Movement: 4 (6); Control: 3 (7).
Despite his relatively humble ratings at the time of his senior year in Copenhagan, Slawomir's college career is suprisingly gaudy -- In 16 career starts, he pitched to a 2.17 ERA in 78.2 IP with a strong 1.04 WHIP. Getting 3 WAR and an eye-popping 205 ERA+. Despite his impressive line, Slawomir went undrafted in 2044. I'm not sure what the state of the league was in 2044, but the competition for draft picks must've been strong if every GM passed him up in the draft, either that or his stats were ignored due to the noisy nature of collegiate stats. His ratings didn't project him to be much of an impact player in the BBA.

However, the Polish native would not remain on the market for long.

Enter Yellow Springs
On 21-May-44, Trcinski signed with YS9 to the tune of $1,500,007. He'd spend 3 years in A-ball, posting an ERA+ of 121 in a relief role, getting called up to AA in 2047, his age 20 season. During this time, Slawomir's stock rose -- his stuff rating saw drastic improvement. See his scouting report below from 1-Jan-47
OSA scouting updated ratings (potential): Stuff: 9 (9); Movement: 6 (6); Control: 7 (8).
An improvement in all marks from his Copenhagen days. Slawomir's AA days would be among his strongest in the minors. In 2 seasons, over 101 games, he'd toss 229 1/3 IP with a 2.24 ERA and a WHIP of 0.97, good for an ERA+ of 183. Most impressive was his strikeout numbers, notching 296 K's in those 2 seasons, more than his 3 seasons in A-ball. Slawomir was revving up. He finished 3rd in 2047 AA reliever of the year voting. It wouldn't take long for Trcinski to skip AA and make YS9's opening day roster in 2049 at the tender age of 22.

Slawomir's rookie campaign would be his strongest in Yellow Springs, posting a career best 0.93 WHIP over 103 IP with 20 saves. A 164 ERA+ indicates Slawomir was ready for the big time. He'd win a rookie of the month award and finish 2nd in reliever of the year voting at the age of 22.

Here were his scout ratings going into his sophomore campaign in 2050
OSA scouting updated ratings (potential): Stuff: 12 (12); Movement: 6 (6); Control: 8 (8).
Clearly YS9 has some fantastic development staff, Slawomir put in the work, or scouts in Copenhagan were plain wrong about his potential. While he was a bit prone to the HR ball, Slawomir was looking increasingly like a stud.

However, Slaw would scuttle in subsequent seasons, never replicating his rookie success. He'd post a mix of sub-par and above average seasons in relief, but never be quite as dominant during his 5 year run in YS.

Slaw sent to Rocky Mountain
Trcinski's Yellow Springs tenure would end unceremoniously in a 2054 trade to Rocky Mountain for RP Eisa Kutaiba and RP Juan Blanco. Kutaiba's yet to make his BBA debut, and Blanco's played in an up-and-down role the past 2 seasons, notching 28.2 IP and a 103 ERA+ over that span.

Trcinski's Rocky Mountain tenure would be short-lived, in less than a month and 5 IP, the Oysters would release him, presumably to make room for other relievers. 2 weeks later he'd sign with San Fernando.

2055 -- A Renaissance Year
Slawomir would quickly pitch himself into a key role in San Fernando's bullpen in 2055. After posting a career worst 5.51 ERA in 65.1 IP in 2054, Trcinski bounced back in a big way, throwing 94.1 IP and posting a 3.34 ERA, good for a 131 ERA+. He'd earn 17 saves for San Fernando. His 1.9 WAR indicates he was returning to form.

Clearly, Kurt in San Fernando felt the same, giving ol' Slaw a call out as the relief pitcher of the year on his team.

See below from this thread .
Relief Pitcher of the Year - RP Slawomir Trzcinski
Slaw Dawg had the best season I can remember a reliever having in San Fernando since I took the helm. The lefty threw 94.1 innings with a 3.34 ERA--good enough for 1.9 WAR from the relief pitcher Trzcinski notched 78 Ks, 25 BBs, and 9 HRs allowed. After a few midseason trades he became the Bears' stopper and also saved 17 games.
What's next for Trcinski?
Despite these honors and his bounceback performance, the now 29-year-old sits alone in free agency. Trcinski's getting shown as a 50 OVR/POT reliever and has quite a few things going in his favor.

* He's a lefty
* He's popular nationally
* He's known for his sense of humor, getting the "prankster" tag.
* He's an iron man
* He's asking for not much more than $1 million

Frankly, I was stunned to see Trcinski available at this point in the season. He's currently 11/5/8 with 9 stamina and a 7 hold runners. The biggest knock against him is his movement rating, which likely makes him a liability in high leverage spots in some stadiums. However, despite his up and down career, he's still under 30 and posted a solid season in relief a season ago.

Is there something I am missing? Why is "Slaw Dawg" still on the market?
Last edited by pandan on Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trebro
BBA GM

Re: Someone Sign Slawomir!

Post by Trebro » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:37 pm

Quick correction: Blanco has been with the Nine in 55 and 56, and only was "demoted" because he had options available.

I dumped Slaw because he was playing poorly and his salary demands were insanely high.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

pandan
Ex-GM

Post by pandan » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:41 pm

Good catch, fixed!

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:05 pm

I’m worried about his ability to replicate the success in my park but I agree I’m surprised somebody hasn’t taken a flyer.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

pandan
Ex-GM

Post by pandan » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:09 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:05 pm
I’m worried about his ability to replicate the success in my park but I agree I’m surprised somebody hasn’t taken a flyer.
He seems like an ideal candidate for a non-competitive team to sign and then try to flip at the deadline to someone in the hunt looking for depth / injury coverage. This late in the season IDK if that's viable though.

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:59 pm

Too low of movement for my taste. But yeah, a bad team could do a lot worse.

I'm a big believer in everyone on your team serving a purpose. Like your #13 pitcher, a loogy type..... he should be really popular or a captain or something because his role is so minimal, he needs a little extra to earn his keep.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

mragland
Ex-GM

Post by mragland » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:59 am

Gave him a look this past offseason.

Refused to entertain an offer because of manager.
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/2047 - 11/06/2058)
1005-974 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Player Spotlights”