Expectations: A Richie Vanness Story

Backstory and history of a particular player- make them come to life!
StormZ_23
Ex-GM

Expectations: A Richie Vanness Story

Post by StormZ_23 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:19 pm

June 1, 2039
BBA Draft

It's the big day. It's a big deal for everybody. "Where will I get drafted?" That question has probably been asked hundreds of times today. 18 year old Richie Vanness is just as nervous as everyone else. He turned 18 years old the week prior, but the only gift he wants is to be drafted. Vanness' Mom and Dad are sitting with him. His 2 little sisters are in the green room. But, there are couple of other people at the table too. Richie's grandfather Russell and younger brother Joe are sitting beside him.

Russell Vanness pitched in the BBA for over 20 years. He had quite the career, that's why everyone in that room is staring at this table. It's not too often you see a true BBA player in the draft room.

Joe is the younger brother to Richie. He thinks he could be in Richie's spot in a couple of years time. Spoiler alert: he wasn't.

Richie is clearly in his own head right now. Russell places his hand on Richie's shoulder.

"It's been many years since I've been in your shoes, but I know how you're feeling. There is something I didn't figure out until many years into my career. The only person that can set your expectations is you. Ignore the writers, pundits, YouTubers, all of them. I know you. No coach or manager will ever set expectations that exceed your own. If they do, that means your not ambitious enough. What I'm trying to say is you can be a real baseball player, but you have to believe it."

30 minutes later, Richie's name is called by the commissioner. Richie is heading to Vancouver.

April 2042

3 years since draft day. Richie Vanness is now living in a little apartment as he gears up for his first season in A ball. He hasn't quite lived up to his own expectations. Clearly the organization is satisfied since Vanness has been promoted for the second time in his career. BBA writers placed him as the #13 prospect in the league. But, Richie just isn't satisfied with the results. He feels he has gotten better, but the stats aren't there. However, is that a bad thing?

In a conversation with his new manager, Vanness said "I feel great. I know I'm getting better. There was some doubt regarding my changeup. I have worked on it throughout the off-season and I feel better than ever. I can set the expectations, I just need your trust."

A month later, Vanness is pitching like his prospect ranking shows. He is the best pitcher on the team. The Vancouver Times wrote an article on Vanness' recent performances.

A few weeks into the new season, Vanness doesn't finish his 6th start. But, a few hours later, Vanness learns his season his over.

A couple of weeks later, Richie is laying down in a hospital room. The surgery is done, but recovery is from over. When Richie isn't rehabbing, he spends most of his time watching baseball. His grandfather has stopped by a few times.

"Richie, I know this is a setback. But you'll be back, your too talented to not make a comeback."

Richie stares at the rain drops sliding down the hospital room window.

"I'm just...confused. Maybe not confused, but I don't know what I'm feeling. I finally start producing the performances I expected from myself and the world punishes me."

Russell stands up from his chair.

"I'm sure you remember what I told you a few years ago. You can set expectations for yourself, but you don't expect the setbacks along the way. Look, I've been in your shoes. I had a long career because of my ambition, but I came to realize that setbacks are just part of the game. They are part of life. How you react to them is what will define your future. Don't blame the world, this happens to everyone."

Richie ponders on what he's just heard as he watches the rain outside.

April 2044
Northwoods Outpost

Opening day. Rowdy fans are heard in the distance.

Richie sits in front of his locker. The #42 hangs in front of him. "Vanness" is written above it. Everyone else has their jersey on.

Richie remembers the day he chose #42. The equipment manager smirked and said "bold choice."

After an award winning season in AAA, Vanness has nothing left to prove. He got a taste of BBA action at the end of 2043 and left a lasting impression. This time around, Vanness has been given the final spot in the starting rotation.

Has Vanness lived up to his ambitions? His expectations? He expected to live this moment. He endured the setbacks. But in the end, he still made it.

In a few days, Richie will run to the pitcher's mound to face the San Fernando lineup. For now, he takes his jersey off the hanger, puts it on, grabs his glove, and leaves the clubhouse.
Taylor Bettencourt
Vancouver Mounties GM (2036 - Present)

2041 Frick League GM of the Year
2041 FL Pacific Champions

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Expectations: A Richie Vanness Story

Post by jleddy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:09 pm

LOVE. IT.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:26 am

Saved this for when I could focus...Great read.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Outstanding

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Player Spotlights”