Diamond for a Diamond

Backstory and history of a particular player- make them come to life!
Clayman
Ex-GM

Diamond for a Diamond

Post by Clayman » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:28 pm

When Chris Carter left Port St Lucie HS, he not only held school running records but state records as well. Everything from 60m to 400m with 110m and 400m hurdles thrown in as well, his life was mapped out for twenty years, go to college, then the Diamond League topped of with 3 or 4 Olympics.

It all went to plan for his first 2 years at AFLAC College home of the Ducks, he was the best runner in the country, he helped AFLAC to a college Athletic Championship in his second year he was half way through his college plan. That all changed though, the plan changed. He'd been asked by his coach to try the long jump, on his first practice session he fell short of the school record by 3cm. His second session would be the changing point, his run was perfect he hit the board just a fraction short of the plasticine but his ankle gave way, 2 fractures and a dislocation, 5 surgeries later his athletic career was over. He could still run, he could still hurdle but the lightning speed had gone.

"I felt that was it, scholarship over, athletic career over. I was a second slower, not much to most people but heck of alot when your talking winning races by the thickness of a vest. I could maybe of competed in an Olympic or two, I wanted to win though I didn't want to just compete."

His journey would change again though, it was getting to the end of the AFLAC Ducks baseball teams season.

"I was in a dark place, I just wanted to leave college, forget about sports. My roommate Will Brooks talked me into going watch one of his games, anyway I'm sat in the stands and this guy sits next to me, one of the coaches. It was Marty Gomez bench coach of the Ducks, he went on about how he'd watched me run. Then out of nowhere he asked me had I thought about baseball, he said I didn't have to be lightening quick but the speed I still had would still make me one of the fastest on the diamond."

For the rest of that season Carter would meet up with Gomez for two hours before a game, once the season was finished they upped it to five hours a day. Plate discipline and base running with glove work thrown in. His first season he hit 5 doubles, 2 triples a bonus of 7 home runs with an on base percentage of .382 not bad for a guy who because of his running schedule hadn't swung a bat since he was 7.

He was even better his second season 12 doubles, 3 triples and boosting his obp to .402.

On leaving college he bounced around the Tropics minor league system with the Gaylord Sting Rays in rookie ball and the Medford Mules in single A ball. His lowest point his release by the Tropics would lead to his highest. Little did he know an expansion was on the horizon and for a year the GM of the expansion Centaurs in the UMEBA had been watching him among others.

"I watched Chris a couple times in Hawaii's minor league system, he was quick, his plate discipline good. I'm thinking this kid can give me the extra base hits and on base percentage I need, plus I'm looking at a heck of a glove in centre field." GM Neil Thomas, Athens Fighting Centaurs.

This season, his rookie season after a leap from A ball to the majors. Chris Carter as hit 12 doubles, 4 triples and a obp of .395 and in 554 innings his fielding % is still perfect at 1.000.

"Everyday is sunny, no more dark days." Chris Carter, Athens Fighting Centaurs.
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2051 75-87
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2049 72-81
Valencia Stars 2045-2047 185-301
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2042-2043 112-118
Cairo Chariot Archers BC 2041 8-5

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Re: Diamond for a Diamond

Post by johnd2442 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:32 pm

AFLAC Ducks! I love that team name!

Carter made a big jump from single-A to the UMEBA big time. I mean, he was old enough it seems, but that's really interesting to see that it can work...as it obviously has for Carter.
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

Clayman
Ex-GM

Post by Clayman » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:41 pm

johnd2442 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Carter made a big jump from single-A to the UMEBA big time. I mean, he was old enough it seems, but that's really interesting to see that it can work...as it obviously has for Carter.

Kind of needs must, thin on the ground in centre field. So really he was put in for his glove, the bats been a big bonus. He's been poor SB wise though, saying that his instinct is behind his speed and ability.
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Post by johnd2442 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Clayman wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:41 pm
johnd2442 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Kind of needs must, thin on the ground in centre field. So really he was put in for his glove, the bats been a big bonus. He's been poor SB wise though, saying that his instinct is behind his speed and ability.
I was looking at his stats first, not his rating the first time I glanced at him. That's a habit from real world baseball. But looking at his ratings, I can see what you're saying about valuing his glove. In the UMEBA, it looks like his offensive ratings could probably stay on par, but a .310 average sure looks like a pleasant surprise.
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Nice writeup. I need to get creative and do one of these. I like the player backstories more than team news.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Clayman
Ex-GM

Post by Clayman » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Dington wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:59 pm
Nice writeup. I need to get creative and do one of these. I like the player backstories more than team news.
I actually find them easier to write than team news once I get the first couple lines they usually just flow, the hardest part is the idea. Once I have an idea in my head I can do one of these in minutes. Up to you but why not look at your team and pick one of the guys who came back from retirement, specially a guy who was retired for a couple of years, write about what he was doing in those years like a mayor, town sheriff anything even a tramp. Just relax and let it flow.
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Player Spotlights”