Ex-GM

Who Won The Trade? Top Players Edition #5

Post by HerbD » Mon May 31, 2021 8:11 am

March 31, 2040

Long Beach received:
C Kelile Komen

Charm City received:
P Luis Rojas

I'm going to assume a few things here. First I'm going to assume that Long Beach really needed a catcher at the end of spring training 2040. I am also going to assume that Rojas was not ready for the big leagues but was out of options. Komen was the Surfers' starting catcher for three seasons and he was decent putting up 5.1 WAR over that time. He was demoted to pinch hitting duties in 2044, his last with Long Beach, where he hit around .100 in 52 plate appearances. He bounced around on one year contracts for the '45 and '46 seasons before landing back in Long Beach to start 2047.

Rojas was 25 when the trade was made and he already had three seasons in the BBA with the Surfers used exclusively as a relief pitcher. To be fair Rojas was a 9-5-5 potential pitcher at the time of the trade but he received some bumps in all three ratings post trade which allowed him to become a starter in his second season in Charm City. In seven seasons with the Jimmies Rojas has a record of 90-69 and he is not the #16 rated starting pitcher in the BBA.

WINNER:
Charm City is the winner but it is not as clear as the Vega trade. First off Rojas is not as good as Vega. Secondly it was not as obvious that Rojas would become a stud player as it was with Vega. Third there was just no way to tell that Komen's production would fall off a cliff the way it did. 2047 will be Rojas' age 32 season so he may not even make it to 150 victories. I can see why this trade was made from both sides. Charm City just got the lucky development bumps. Had Komen received bumps instead this could be a very different out come.
Montreal Blazers(BBA) 2044~2047(353-295, .545 W%)
2045 Wildcard(lost in one round)
2046 Atlantic Champs(lost in one round)

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: Who Won The Trade? Top Players Edition #5

Post by Lane » Mon May 31, 2021 8:36 am

This one looks bad in hindsight but as you said Rojas got massive bumps after the trade, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

bcslouck
BBA GM

Re: Who Won The Trade? Top Players Edition #5

Post by bcslouck » Mon May 31, 2021 10:05 am

He bumped massively. He added a good pitch too. It even took Rojas a year or two before the scales tipped but they've tipped pretty heavily since then. But I don't fault Lane at all for this one. Just had some good luck on my end.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Trade Analysis”