A Horrible-Pitcher Trade

Analyze and breakdown all Brewster Baseball Association deals here
Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

A Horrible-Pitcher Trade

Post by Lane » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:01 pm

'Horrible' Simpson

So, Shoeless finally did the deed, and traded away David 'Horrible' Simpson in his walk year. In return? A buncha pitchers.

Here's the deets:

Sacramento Receives:
SP Ben Render
SP Todd Jones (rookie)
SP Danny Dodds (rookie)
RP Ludwig Werberg (A)
RP Jose Avelina
RP Ron Noftall (rookie)
RP Alonso Estrada (rookie)
2B Bill Moody (SA)
LF Jose Figueroa

Twin Cities Receives:
SP Tony Alomar
RF David Simpson SAC Retains 100%

Oh boy that's a lotta players. Back in my day, you could just get superstar outfielderAlfredo 'Savage' Salazar for a 37 year old Mike Love and a couple of long shot pitching prospects (Victor Hurtado and Shao-qi 'Daddy' Teoh). Now to be fair to Chris, it was a deadline deal in the days before salary retention, and Savage was probably making about $69 million that season. Anyway, it turned out to be a steal, and Savage showed what he could do on a real baseball team, winning the Landis Memorial Series MVP, and earning his first and only championship ring.

But I digress. We're here to talk about David Simpson, Twin Cities, and the Mad Popes. Simpson, as if you need an introduction, can't hit lefties, but has a career 184 OPS+ against righties, which, is good. He also plays decent defense in either outfield corner, and he keeps the team entertained during long road trips, which is probably worth what, 2 WAR? Sacramento retains 100% of the salary, which is a big deal. Twin Cities Ted also received SP Tony Alomar, who, with ratings of 9/6/8 is actually a good pitcher. I've never heard of him, but he was used as a starter in Sacramento and had an ERA under 3 for the Mad Popes. The River Monsters don't really have an ace, and Alomar isn't one, but he fits right in with 4 other starters that are pretty good.

I'm trying to decide how much longer I can delay talking about what Shoeless received in this deal, because it's a really long list. The addition of Simpson might give TWC the best lineup in the Heartlad. There's not really a hole there against right handed pitching. As for the pitching, Alomar really solidifies the rotation. Looking good so far.

Alright, alright...what did Sacramento get?

Ben Render, 20, BBA, 2045 Draftee. Render went straight to the BBA following the draft. Three pitches, all fully developed and 8/7/6 overall. Looks like the kind of guy you plug into the back of your rotation for 6 years and forget about.

Todd Jones, 19, R, 2045 Draftee. Three pitches, 7/7/7 potential. Back of the rotation/swingman type. Well developed for his age, not too risky.

Danny Dodds, 19, R, 2045 Draftee. Three pitches, 7/7/6 potential. Swingman/middle reliever. Needs the 3/8 curveball to come in, but pretty well developed for his age.

Alonso Estrada, 19, R, Undrafted FA Signee. Reliever, two pitches, 12/7/4 potential. With 9 stamina he could be an SP convert, or one of these super relievers that are so trendy right now. But the problem is that a lot of that stuff is tied to the 4/12 changeup. Now, having it at 4 is a great sign, but I'm not confident that it ever reaches 12. Anyway, if pitching doesn't work out for him, he could play 2B, and pretend to hit (4/5/2/5/5 POT).

Ludwig Werberg, 18, R, Undrafted FA Signee. Reliver, 10/7/5 potential. Slight positive platoon bump against lefties, very well developed for his age. Maybe a closer if you're into that sort of thing.

Jose Avelina, 26, BBA, 2036 Draftee, <1 yr service. Reliever, 11/5/8 actuals, probably not hitting that 11/6/9 at his age. Could start in a pinch...not enough movement for high leverage, imo, but a decent reliever nonetheless.

Ron Noftall, 18, S A, Undrafted FA Signee. Reliever, 10/7/7 potential. Closer material, leader, work ethic, blah blah. Slight positive platoon split against RHB, which is the good positive platoon split to have. Needs to work on his control. Slightly riskier than Werberg, but could end up being better.

Bill Moody, 19, R, 2044 Draftee. Second baseman, 5/8/9/6/4 potentials. Not much to see here, his arm limits him to second, and I don't think he's going to hit enough to be a regular. He can play a little outfield, so I'd train him up there, and maybe see if you can get a rating at SS and 3B as well. Maybe he's a utility guy in a few years, but more than likely he's a career minor leaguer.

Jose Figeroa, 26, BBA, 5 yr 96 days service. 9/7/7/4/9 ratings. Like Simpson, Figueroa is a corner outfielder who can't hit lefties. Unlike Simpson, he's got a 123 OPS+ against righties for his career. Which, actually, aint half bad. He probably won't be too meaningful to Sacramento, maybe a minor trade chip or someone who plays just enought to get a Comp B pick in the 2047 draft.

So, if you're still with me, that's the pieces. Ted traded away a good chunk of his 2045 draft, and most of what was left of his minor league system. In exchange, he gets one of the best hitters in the Frick with no salary cap hit, and a solid starter. He's in Win-Now mode, and this is about as Win-Now as any trade you'll ever see. Twin Cities goes from playoff contender, to better playoff contender. Can't call them a Brewster Championship Series frontrunner quite yet, but they're certainly much better than they were before the trade. Simpson is the kind of player that can win you a playoff series and is a career .320/.380/.552 hitter there.

Sacramento traded away the face of the franchise in Simpson and a solid starter. They get worse, but they probably haven't tanked their playoff chances. Shoeless has been in a quasi-rebuild for a while now, and this is his pièce de résistance. Assuming he doesn't care about succeeding this year, it looks like a great move. They added a bunch of pieces that look to have really good shots at being decent big leaguers. I don't think there's a superstar in the bunch, but more than likely there's half a rotation and half a bullpen in there. They don't have much salary on the books for 2046, so they probably could have signed Simpson to an extension. but I stll think this is a great move for the future by Sacramento.

Grades:

TWC
Organizational: F
Immediate impact: A

SAC
Oranizational: A
Immediate Impact: C
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: A Horrible-Pitcher Trade

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:12 pm

It's worth keeping in mind that Simpson is already 28 and is asking for $25 million a season, which he probably deserves based on his current superb campaign, and that he can't play defense.

This sort of thing differentiates him from, say, Aaron Haney, who's 26 and can play defense.

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Post by shoeless.db » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Great analysis (not just saying that for the Organizational A-grade you granted). If Simpson came down at anytime to 18-20m per year, I likely would have resigned him. But, with no budge in his ask, receiving something more than the comp pick was my best hope. As much as I love Simpson, who I may still try to resign in FA, I couldn’t fathom paying that amount of cash for a, likely, strong-side DH over the last four years of the deal.

Alomar is the part I disliked giving up, more so due to my balking at his one year 6m ask at the beginning of the season. Boy, I have no idea why I didn’t sign him for that. He subsequently raised it to 4yr/42m, and, with him at age 35, I couldn’t do that with the flurry of young pitchers I have itching to play in Sactown. I’m dumb.
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:58 pm

I mean, yeah, you're dumb for not signing Alomar to that one year deal, but as he was here on an expiring deal, you're very much not dumb for making this deal.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:45 am

Unless shoeless has the worst development luck ever, I'm coming out way behind in this one. The fun thing about trying to be bad later is that I don't really care.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:10 am

Ted wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:45 am
Unless shoeless has the worst development luck ever, I'm coming out way behind in this one. The fun thing about trying to be bad later is that I don't really care.
Not if you win a title.

By the way, tell me this trade had nothing to do with the prop bets. :)

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Post by shoeless.db » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:37 am

aaronweiner wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:10 am
Ted wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:45 am
Not if you win a title.

By the way, tell me this trade had nothing to do with the prop bets. :)
I still plan on winning the TC/Sac prop bet.
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:39 pm

Lane wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:01 pm

Oh boy that's a lotta players. Back in my day, you could just get superstar outfielderAlfredo 'Savage' Salazar for a 37 year old Mike Love and a couple of long shot pitching prospects (Victor Hurtado and Shao-qi 'Daddy' Teoh). Now to be fair to Chris, it was a deadline deal in the days before salary retention, and Savage was probably making about $69 million that season. Anyway, it turned out to be a steal, and Savage showed what he could do on a real baseball team, winning the Landis Memorial Series MVP, and earning his first and only championship ring.

Sounds like I got fleeced! Lane should be kicked out of the league for taking advantage of me like that! haha

But I think you're right on nearly every comment there. I can't remember the trade but Savage was probably owed about $35 million that season and Madison was losing money fast.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:45 pm

7teen wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:39 pm
Lane wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:01 pm

Sounds like I got fleeced! Lane should be kicked out of the league for taking advantage of me like that! haha

But I think you're right on nearly every comment there. I can't remember the trade but Savage was probably owed about $35 million that season and Madison was losing money fast.
That must have been it. I just remember we did the deal around the deadline and I might have been the only team interested.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:04 pm

Lane wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:45 pm

That must have been it. I just remember we did the deal around the deadline and I might have been the only team interested.
One of the good things about writing all of those team news. It appears Salazar was asking for a 1 year deal worth $89 million to re-sign with Madison so we dumped him.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:43 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahah I had forgotten about that completely.

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 am

Looks like he got a 6 year 160m deal with CC (~26m) per season after LB. 90m yeesh!

His contracts were...

249m with MAD
160m with CC
54m with AC
38m with YS
27m with BO
10.5m with MAD
4.6m with BRK
1.7m with BRK

544.8m in contracts

Uhhhhhh yeah id say he made his 90m in other ways 😝

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic