Trade Analysis: Recte Misses Phil Logan

Analyze and breakdown all Brewster Baseball Association deals here
Ted
Ex-GM

Trade Analysis: Recte Misses Phil Logan

Post by Ted » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:36 pm

ImageImage
These guys were traded for each other ... again.

On January 1st of this year, Phil Logan woke up in his room at the Bellagio to a throbbing head and the news that he'd be packing his bags for a move to Nashville as part of a six player trade. That trade brought another second baseman drafted by the Hustlers, one Jesus Yan back to the Hustlers, after Recte had traded for him while the GM of the Nashville Bluebirds in the summer of 2040. Now, it seems the likely inebriated Rectenwald regretted trading for the second baseman this past new years he once traded for before.

Still with me? Fast forward to today, when Rectenwald traded Yan back to Nashville for Phil Logan, making it the second time these players have been traded for each other, the second time Yan has been traded to Nashville (albeit only once by Recte), and the second time Vegas has traded away Yan (again only once by Recte). That earlier trade was the second time Recte had traded for Yan, but only once for any particular team. Also these are both second basemen.

So why would he trade away a player he seems to like so much, that he traded for him ... um ... I'm getting confused. See the last paragraph. I think that's right. Anyway, he really seems to have missed Phil Logan. In 4 seasons with Vegas, Logan displayed perfectly cromulent skills, to the tuned of at mid 90's wRC+ and solid, if not exciting play in the field, good for 1.5 to 2 WAR as the long side of a platoon. Prior to this season, Logan had signed a 1.07 mil one year deal with the Bluebirds out of free agency, which seems like a bit of a steal in hindsight. Logan is off to a nice start this year, doing his thing with a 90 wRC+ on pace for 2.1 WAR.

Yan, on the other hand, has not played so well. His current wRC+ sits at .... that can't be right. NEGATIVE TWENTY?!?!!???

So Yan has already amassed -1.2 WAR this year and is on pace for -5.3, which would be one of the worst seasons since, well ... ever. Yan had signed an extension for 2.4 million prior to the season, his last arbitration eligible year. So he will also be a free agent.

It's clear that Vegas, in the wild card hunt, went back to the well for a trusted source of 2B production in Logan, while shipping out Yan, the player with more upside to Nashville. The timing is a bit curious for Nashville, who is currently second in the uber-competitive Heartland. Normally, you'd see a team out of the race swap a productive part like Logan for a project like Yan, and use the rest of the season to see if he bounces back. If he does, you extend him no the cheap. It's not even a bad gamble as Yan has been, like Logan, a consistent 1.5 to 2 in long side of a 2B platoon.

However, Nashville doesn't seem to have any other infield options, so Yan will have to replace Logan's production immediately, or their playoff chances will take a big hit. Now, perhaps GM Chad Nason secretly agrees with the preseason pundits who really didn't think much of the Bluebirds playoff odds. Maybe he saw a deal to get a talented, if slightly underachieving (prior to this year when he pooped the bed) player on the cheap. Who knows?

I think this is a good move by the Hustlers to upgrade now and rid themselves of a potential headache of an extension decision. Normally, I'd pick on a team like Nashville for downgrading in the midst of a playoff run, but in this case, I can't. This trade could only be better if it was another 6 person swap, with Yan and Logan hidden in it.

When asked about the deal, Logan stated, "I'm thrilled to be headed back to the Hustlers. I always liked living in Vegas. Nashville, well, after the way I got the news, this has all felt like a bad dream. It's gratifying to see a GM who wants you on on the club enough to rectify (winks) his mistake."

Yan was less charitable, "Glad I didn't sell the house in Nashville. Hopefully that spaz doesn't trade for me again, and I can have some semblance of normalcy. He wants you, he doesn't want you, he wants you ... Good lord make up your freaking mind!"

I'm sure everyone is on board for the inevitable 2045 Logan/Yan deal.
Last edited by Ted on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Trade Analysis: Recte Misses Phil Logan

Post by RonCo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:50 pm

And the 2046 Yan/Logan deal.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:52 pm

Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Ha!

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Post by shoeless.db » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:16 pm

I'll throw a 30 POT catcher onto both sides if they'll trade them back and forth one more time.
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:04 pm

While Logan was playing better than I originally expected, I am gambling on Yan bouncing back and getting back to his normal hitting numbers, while improving speed and defense. Both players likely non-tendered in offseason anyway, so why not spice things up a bit.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm

Dington wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:04 pm
While Logan was playing better than I originally expected, I am gambling on Yan bouncing back and getting back to his normal hitting numbers, while improving speed and defense. Both players likely non-tendered in offseason anyway, so why not spice things up a bit.
I have no idea what they are asking for, but these are both the kind of guys I love to extend for 1 to 2.5 million for as long as I can. 1.5 to 2 win everyday player for under 3 mil? Yes please!
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Dington

Post by Dington » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Ted wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm
Dington wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:04 pm
I have no idea what they are asking for, but these are both the kind of guys I love to extend for 1 to 2.5 million for as long as I can. 1.5 to 2 win everyday player for under 3 mil? Yes please!
Well, based on Yan's year thus far, he should be satisfied making minimum wage.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
Kuwait City GM 2042-43

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:20 pm

Buy low, sell high, right?
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Dington

Post by Dington » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:52 pm

RonCo wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:20 pm
Buy low, sell high, right?
We'll see. Players haven't been very friendly with the front office about their demands.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
Kuwait City GM 2042-43

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Trade Analysis”