Trade Review 2027 #7 - Early to Mid May

Analyze and breakdown all Brewster Baseball Association deals here
Ted
Ex-GM

Trade Review 2027 #7 - Early to Mid May

Post by Ted » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:57 pm

We're into the first half of May now. Pretty ho-hum collection of deals here, at least compared to some of the previous editions. Still, there's some talking material.

Vancouver/Calgary

Vancouver receives:
P Carlos Delgado (prospect)

Calgary receives:
CF Mauro Ortiz

[list][*]To steal a phrase from the OOTP scouting, Delgado is a prospect in name only. He's subpar from a movement standpoint, and has marginal control. At 22, you start to wonder if his stuff will develop, but even if it does, he will have a tough time against lefties. He's a long shot, really about the worst you can be and be a prospect.[/list]

[list][*]Mauro Ortiz is not a prospect. He's minor league filler.[/list]

Why did this trade happen?

Grades
Vancouver
Talent: D+
Organizational: C+
Calgary
Talent: D-
Organizational: C-

[hr]

Carolina/Omaha
Carolina receives:
CF Fernando Aguilar

Omaha receives:
CF Rafael Gallegos (prospect?)
IF Jaime Pagan (prospect)

[list][*]You could use 31 year old Fernando Aguilar as a defensive replacement, but really he has no business on a major league roster.[/list]

[list][*]23 year old CF Rafael Gallegos is better than Aguilar in that he can be used as a defensive replacement AND a pinch runner. Does that make him twice as good?
[*]20 year old Jamie Pagan has good defensive tools in the infield. He's fast and has a decent eye, but unfortunately has no power and can't get the bat on the ball. He's young enough that there's a chance for development, especially given that short is such a weak position in this league.[/list]

I have no idea how this trade occurred. Here's my best guess of how the conversation went. Aaron: Hey Fred. Got any old centerfielders I can waste a roster spot and some money on? I've got this 23 year old who can do the exact same thing, but I like old men.
Fred: Sure, I've got this Aguilar guy with a career .592 OPS. I used to pay him a million a year to make spectacular diving grabs during BP, but I figured that was a bit much, so now I'm paying him 750k. That work for you?
Aaron: Awesome. But you know, do you think Gallegos is enough to get him? That's some premium property we are wasting actual minutes of our life making a trade over.
Fred: I know, that's why I've kept him around for ten years. I mean, Gallegos looks like someone I might only waste 300 of 400 games on. How about that Pagan kid?
Aaron: Pagan? Oh man, he's almost an actual prospect. I mean he only needs to bump his contact twice and power once to actually matter in this league as a platoon player. You drive a hard bargain, sir. In fact, I'm only making this trade because I take a sadistic pleasure in making Ted write hundreds of words about utterly irrelevant trades.
Fred: Excellent. I see we have something in common. I too like to know that I'm furthering my fellow owners' alcoholism. Good working with you.
Aaron: Likewise. Let me know if you have any other aging replacement level players making more than league minimum.

Grades
Carolina
Talent: D+
Organizational: D+
Omaha
Talent: C-
Organizational: C-

[hr]

Havana/Tuscon
Havana receives:
SP Pablo Salinas
SP Tomas Suarez
RP Brenden Denley

Tuscon receives:
SP Edward Kish
RP Ricardo Baez (prospect)
LF Ron Mosley (prospect)

[list][*]Pablo Salinas is a back of the rotation starter. His career FIP in Tuscon is over 4.5. He's making league minimum, and at that price he's acceptable. As a big hard throwing righty, he may make a better reliever. He may be very good in the pen with a conversion.
[*]Tomas Suarez is another pitcher with an established track record as a back of the rotation guy. He does well enough against righties, but has struggled against lefties at times. He does have a very good change up, but his fastball and slider are only "meh", which makes on wonder about the effectiveness of his change. His career FIP of 4.2 reflects that. He's a free agent at season's end.
[*]Brenden Denly is a useful bullpen piece. He seems to be a pretty solid middle reliever type. He's not too expensive in about the 1.5 mil range and is arb eligible. Don't expect wonders with him and you won't be disappointed[/list]

[list][*]Ed Kish is just not very good. His ball moves, but batters consistently identify it well enough to not have problems. As a lefty, he continues to find work. There are situations in which his career 4.84 FIP could be reasonable, just not many of them, and not if he's making any kind of money above minimum.
[*]19 year old Ricardo Baez could make his way to the Brewster someday. He's a lefty reliever who projects to have enough motion and control to make it, with pretty solid stuff. If he gains some strength and velocity, he has a shot to be better.
[*] Ron Mosley is a solid looking OF prospect. He's a bit limited in range, which may force him to DH eventually, but he's fundamentally sound and has a cannon arm. He also has terrific power. His ability to hit effectively from both sides of the plate is a plus. Don't expect him to win many track meets though.[/list]

This is a pretty poor trade for Havana. Kudos to their now former management for trying to field a winner, but sometimes you just don't have the parts. Picking up two number five starters and a middle reliever is the kind of move you make if you are a contender already and need to fill a hole or two. They are not pieces that will put you over the top. In that sense, trading a prospect like Mosley, who could be very very good, is a bad idea. Doubly so when your minor league cupboard is already bare. Great move for Tuscon, who had no reason to hold on to three eminently replaceable pitchers and pick up another part.

Grades
Havana
Talent: C
Organizational: D
Tuscon
Talent: B-
Organizational: A

[hr]

Havana/Huntsville
Havana receives:
SP Cesar Sandoval

Huntsville receives:
SP Justin Alexander Jr
RP Hector Escalante
RF Mario Ortiz

[list][*]Sandoval is a nice enough pitcher. He has the ability to be a number 2 type, however he doesn't really make it deep enough into games and so is more of a mid rotation guy. Teammates have squawked a bit about his attitude as well. He's very reasonably priced at four and a half mil, and has an expiring deal. If he loses a bit more stamina, one wonders if a relief conversion would serve him well, given that he's a five pitch guy, with really only two standout pitches.[/list]

[list][*]Justin Alexander Jr. is long past his prime from his Vancouver days. At this point he's a league average or slightly worse starter. He only makes a couple mil, which isn't a bad price for a guy who can give you some innings and an ERA in the mid 4's. However, he's the definition of a "pitch to contact" guy at this point in his career, and if you don't have a solid infield defense, he's not going to do you any good.
[*]Hector Escalante has been addressed previously, but he's a very solid setup type pitcher. He throws hard and doesn't give up the long ball too easily. He does a bit worse against lefties, but still acceptably well.
[*]Mario Ortiz is kind of a super AAAA player, a AAAAA player if you will. On paper, he looks like he may have just enough hitting tools to stick in a platoon role, especially given his speed. He's a sound defensive outfielder, who suffers from not quite good enough range. Thus far, he has very little track record, so it's hard to know if he can make it or not.[/list]

From a talent standpoint, this is a fair deal. Sandoval is the better pitcher, even if he is more of a short inning starter than Alexander. Escalante is the best player in the deal, but starter talent trumps reliever talent. Ortiz is kind of a throw in., and given Havana's signing of Brito, he's expendable. Huntsville had the starter depth to make this move. Havana already has three good starters in Rodriguez, Chandler and Rivera. It's questionable whether it was worth moving their second best reliever for Sandoval essentially.

Grades
Havana
Organizational: B-
Huntsville
Organizational: B

[hr]

Hawaii/Des Moines
Hawaii receives:
C Jeremy Carter

Des Moines receives:
$10 million

[list][*]You can do worse than Carter at catcher. He's got 20 HR power, but that's about it. Not really an on base guy at all. Still, he's a 2-3 WAR player at a tough position. He has an expiring contract. Most teams would probably be happy with him behind the plate.[/list]

[list][*]$10 mil is a lot of free cash.[/list]

This is a weird deal. Ed had been trying to trade Carter for awhile with little luck (this just seems like a theme for poor Des Moines). They definitely have not need for him on the roster. I'd always prefer to get a player back that cash, even if it is several truckloads. I think you could have gotten a 1.5-2.0 star prospect for the guy, but again, Ed was trying. For Hawaii, if you've got thhe money, it's a free player.

Grades
Hawaii
Talent: C+
Organizational: B
Des Moines
Talent: N/A
Organizational: C

[hr]

Omaha/Calgary
Omaha receives:
P Gilberto Longoria (prospect)
P Carlos Medina (prospect)
2B Vittore Monasta

Calgary receives:
P Atsumori Maeda

[list][*]Gilberto Longoria looks like a pretty decent starting pitching prospect. He's got three pretty darn good pitches that should allow him to handled batters from both sides of the plate. He's a bit underdeveloped for a 21 year old, but not so bad that we should be waving the red flag.
[*]23 year old Carlos Medina is a borderline starter prospect. He has three strong pitches, but marginal stamina. Combined with his only average control, he simply may not be able to get deep enough into games. IF he can't start, he should make a pretty good relief, probably a late inning guy.[/list]

[list][*]Atsumori Maeda is a decent enough pitcher. He's a little inconsistent from year to year, ranging from borderline number one to mid rotation material. His ability to keep the ball in the park will play well in Calgary, and his deal is very reasonable, at 5.5 mil per year.[/list]

This is a pretty even trade. Both young guys Calgary gave up project to be the caliber of pitcher Maeda is, but there's always the risk with prospects. Omaha, still in a retooling process, pick some parts up for the future. Calgary adds a starter for it's playoff push. Nice deal.

Grades
Omaha
Talent: B
Organizational: A-
Calgary
Talent: B
Organizational: A-

[hr]

I'm getting closer. Only one more batch of trades that happened during the 2027 season, then some offseason moves, then onto 2028 finally. Hopefullu two more articles knock out 2027, and we probably are about two into 2028 at this point.
Last edited by Ted on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

indiansfan
BBA GM

Re: Trade Review 2027 #7 - Early to Mid May

Post by indiansfan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:03 pm

The Ortiz deal was real simple I had 2 CFers, neither good defensively, go down with injury. I needed a glove guy in CF
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:07 pm

Ha! Thanks Ted. I appreciate a level headed analysis of my trade instead of the initial response I got from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:21 pm

indiansfan wrote:The Ortiz deal was real simple I had 2 CFers, neither good defensively, go down with injury. I needed a glove guy in CF
That makes some sense then.
Ted Schmidt

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:33 pm

Lane wrote:Ha! Thanks Ted. I appreciate a level headed analysis of my trade instead of the initial response I got from it.

Yeah, you got beat up really badly right? I wasn't really paying attention, but now that I look at the deal, I can't figure out what all the hubub would have been about.
Ted Schmidt

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:56 pm

Yeah they were killing me on it. I think maybe because the starters I gave up had inflated star ratings?

Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:09 pm

I was confused because they were cheap. Once you mentioned that Suarez wanted a bunch of cash it made sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Trade Analysis”