Trade Review 2027 #4 - Pre deadline moves pt 1

Analyze and breakdown all Brewster Baseball Association deals here
Ted
Ex-GM

Trade Review 2027 #4 - Pre deadline moves pt 1

Post by Ted » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:28 am

As we continue our walk back through 2027. This group of trades in the month before the deadline includes further dismantling of a once might Grasshoppers squad. As a reminder, all these grades are just one man's opinion (and at that a man who is often at odds with some of the better managers in the league)

Indianapolis/Yellow Springs
Indianapolis receives:
SP Anastasio Vazquez
LF Mike Sullivan
CF Raul Gonzales
SP Hamilton Urglar (prospect?)

Yellow Springs receives:
SP Eduardo Lopez

[list][*]Anastasio Vazquez seems to be an alright player. You could do worse at the back of your rotation, and he's probably a strong middle relief option out of the pen is used there. He's 26, but had a delayed start to his big league career so remains cost controlled for a while. He best pitch is a slider, which usually raises concerns about managing hitters from the other side of the plate, but he seems to compensate well with his cutter.
[*]Mike Sullivan is a trap prospect. He's a right handed hitter with mediocre contact. He will likely struggle mightly against the right starters in the league. He also can't play defense, which makes him a platoon DH at best. On top of that, he's underdeveloped at 24, which plays against the idea of him bumping as he reaches his peak years.
[*]Raul Gonzales is a minor leaguer.
[*]The hamburglar is a creation of mine. He was discovered when a scout saw him throw a 98 MPH cheeseburger. That's about the most interesting thing that can be said about him.[/list]

[list][*]Eduardo Lopez is an elite lefty starter. He's simply an ace, a flamethrowing lefty good for 200+ innings, 200+ k's and a low 3's era every year. His contract is reasonable until his option years (starting in 2031), which could easily be declined if he's declining by that point (age 34 to start 2031).[/list]

Indy got jobbed in this one, plain and simple. I know rebuilds are tough, and you always sell for a loss in a fire sale, but they got a 26 year old back half starter and table scraps for an ace. Vazquez is probably a little better that his ratings make him look, but at the time of the trade he had a 5+ ERA in his established big league time. You just have to get more for a guy like Lopez.

Grades
Indianapolis
Talent: C+
Organizational: D-
Yellow Springs
Talent: A
Organizational:A+

[hr]

Madison/Louisville
Madison receives:
RP Domingo Navarro
One meeeeeelyon dollars

Louisville receives:
SP Zach Bauer

[list][*]Domingo Navarro, at 26, still hasn't figured out how to get lefties out. He has solid control and enough movement to keep from getting his hard, but just doesn't have the stuff to get the ball by anyone with any frequency. He probably can be a below average middle reliever, but is more of a AAAA starter.[/list]

[list][*]Zach Bauer, at 42, just keeps on truckin'. He's no longer the player he was in his heyday with the Sluggers, but his pinpoint control and strength against lefty hitters lets him remain a decent option in the back of the rotation or out of the pen. (editors note: at the time of the trade, Bauer had lost only 1-2 mph in the last five seasons. His arm has since flamed out)[/list]

Strangely, at the time of this trade, Bauer had considerably more value than Navarro. However, given Bauer's age and Navarro's lack of relevance, the money many end up being the biggest part of this deal.

Grades
Madison
Talent: D+
Organizational: C+
Louisville
Talent: C-
Organizational: C+

[hr]

Yellow Springs/Vancouver
Yellow Spring receives:
1B Raul Rodriguez
P Randall Thomas

Vancouver receives:
1B Julio Morin

[list][*]Raul Rodriguez is more of a DH than a first baseman. He was an okay hitter for a 1B/DH during his days back in Havana/Buffalo, but since that time has lost some bat speed and is not longer much of an option, and can't hit lefties at all.
[*]Randall Thomas is a 24 year old righty who seems to have a little difficulty giving up the long ball . His best role at this point is middle relief. A conversion could possibly let hit stuff play up to setup possibility. On the other hand, he's outpitched scouts' predictions to this point in his career and if he develops a bit could actually be a starting option.[/list]

[list][*]On paper, Julio Moran's ability to play defense makes him an upgrade over the 1B he was traded for. He's not as bad at hitting lefties either, but should still be in a platoon. In reality, he's a subpar batter for a 1B, and hasn't produced at an acceptable level for a 1B since his New Orleans days. He's not worth his salary.[/list]

This is a curious deal. I can't recall how much Rodriguez was making, but if it was more than Moran, this makes sense as a salary dump move by Vancouver, who I think needed cap space at one point. If not, Vancouver gave up Randall for next to nothing, which makes little sense. Randall's not a world beater, but he's probably serviceable, especially in their park and division which suppresses homers.

Grades
Yellow Springs
Organizational: B-
Vancouver
Organizational: C

[hr]

New Orleans/Huntsville
New Orleans receives:
SS John Aguilera

Huntsville receives:
RP Karl Soranzo
SP Pedro Mejia (prospect)

[list][*]John Aguilera has some value as a player. He can play 3B at a Zimmer level, 2B fairly well (although maybe you'd like him to have more range, and a steady short in a pinch. His bat leaves a bit to be desired against righties, but at the weak hitting middle infield positions it's definitely adequate. He's about the right price as well.[/list]

[list][*]Karl Soranzo has been converted since the trade, and now he looks like a decent middle relief option. His stuff is nothing special, but he has terrific movement and control. One assumes prior to conversion he was a junkballer type starter with the above attribute. He has very little track record to go on, but likely isn't much to be excited about.
[*]Pedro Mejia is a 19 year old with project-able top notch stuff. However, his reliance on his curveball hurts him against lefties, and he will need to learn to locate better to be a viable big league starter. His future may be in a setup or closer role, depending on how he develops.[/list]

This is a pretty even deal. As is, New Orleans gets a slight edge for getting a useable player for two projects, however Huntsville may end up getting the better end of the deal depending on what happens with Mejia. Knowing Kyle, there's a good chance Mejia gets swapped at some point for future upgrades. This is a solid little deal, and is the kind of deal the good clubs make to keep the organizational momentum going.

Grades
New Orleans
Organizational: B
Huntsville

[hr]

Indianapolis/Carolina
Indianapolis receives:
CF Robinson Peralta (prospect)
P Tai fat Cheng (prospect)

Carolina receives:
1B Newman Watson

[list][*]CF Robinson Peralta is barely a prospect. The 19 year old lefty currently projects as a very good defensive backup, pinch runner. He just doesn't have big league hitting or power tools. He'll need some real help to be an everyday player at the big league level. The good news is that he is ahead of the developmental curve.
[*] Tai fet Chang at the time of the deal was a promising 17 year old prospect, with very good motion and control, along with three strong pitches. He projected at a #2-3 type starter. Projecting 17 year olds is never easy though. Development is random enough without factoring in injury, which is what happened to Chang. It remains to be seen if he can bounce back from Tommy John surgery.[/list]

[list][*]Newman Watson is one of the underrated first baseman in the league. He has consistently outperformed scout's expectations, likely in large part due to his ability to hit competently form both sides of the plate. He's a .300, 30 homerun guy in a bad in year. In a good year, he's as good as they come. His contract is a little friendly for his talent level as well.[/list]

Before Chang got hurt, this is a pretty reasonable deal. It probably favors Carolina a tad in the Chang is so very young, and therefore risky. Were he 19-20 and better developed, I'd call it more even. The other change that would have made this an even deal would be getting an actual 2.5 star prospect instead of a paper tiger like Peralta. Carolina does a quality job flipping hopes and dreams from a very good big league player.

Grades
Indianapolis
Talent: B
Organizational: B-
Carolina
Talent: A-

[hr]

Well, I figured I killed Alan a little bit ago, so why not keep being an asshole and beat up on Fletcher. Overall, I think Indy's teardown went pretty poorly. In summary, they traded Kharlamov, Lopez, Lawrence, and Watson and still only have the 15th best minor league system (caveat: before the tear down they had ZERO prospects in the top 100, and the minor league system rankings are admittedly not very good). In Fletcher's defense, it was a buyers market, and the longer he held on to guys, the worse their value. Three of those star players were in their 30's. Three were in the last or second to last year of deals. Having had a fire sale myself not so long ago, and getting reamed on every trade I made, I know how tough it can be. The good news is the next six trades don't feature many repeat teams that I've already been mean to, so maybe I can stop making enemies for a bit.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Trade Review 2027 #4 - Pre deadline moves pt 1

Post by recte44 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:14 pm

Yeah, that Lopez deal was really, really bad.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:01 pm

Morin was cheaper than Rodriguez and can actually play 1B. That was the motivation behind that.
GM Vancouver Mounties

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:04 pm

bschr682 wrote:Morin was cheaper than Rodriguez and can actually play 1B. That was the motivation behind that.
I thought that might be it.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 pm

I totally missed Carolina getting Watson, which is weird because I processed it, just don't remember that happening.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:03 pm

We liked Thomas, and will use him in the pen on the cheap. We wanted out of the 2028 portion of Morin's deal anyway, so we paid Rodriguez a little extra this year and then let him walk. So, fundamentally I looked at it as that I got Thomas (a decent-looking reliever, and a guy who might spot-start) and his couple $500K contract years for something under $1M in 2027 expenses. I mean, by that time it was clear we weren't going anywhere, anyway.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Trade Analysis”