(2028 points start here) Trade Review 2027 #2- The Deadline

Analyze and breakdown all Brewster Baseball Association deals here
Ted
Ex-GM

(2028 points start here) Trade Review 2027 #2- The Deadline

Post by Ted » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:35 am

Kyle, let me know how you want me to number these. I want to title them 2027 because that is when they happened (and will make finding them easier later, but I'll change it if you need me to for counting purposes. I noted in the title that all posts after this one go towards 2028 points. Since I sucked super hard this year, I'm starting with the 2027 deadline moves and going back. Hopefully I'm done by the weekend, at which point I'll get to the 2028 offseason. (Which means like 12-15 trade reviews to counts towards 2028 points. ITS ON RON!!!)

Calgary/Huntsville
Calgary receives:
RP Hector Escalante

Huntsville receives:
RP Mario Contreras (prospect)

[list][*] Escalante is a 27 year old righty with electric stuff. He does have a bit of a bad split versus lefties, but still has adequate stuff versus them. He keeps the ball down well, which is plus in a park/division like Calgary's. He's been a very good option out of the pen for multiple teams over the last handful of seasons, which speaks for his adaptability.[/list]

[list][*] Contreras is a 20 year old lefty with real command issues. His stuff however, may make up for. As a flamethrowing lefty with two great late breaking pitches in a cutter and sinker, he'll give opponents fits. The question is in whether he does the same to his catchers. His walk rates thus far have been concerning at every level. He's on a good development track for his age.[/list]

Huntsville, due to salary concerns, had no choice but to make this move, which is a clear downgrade, in moving an established reliever in his prime for a bit of a project (albeit a project who is likely to be able to play someday). Their probably got about the best they could have for Escalante, but on the other hand put themselves in a position to trade for cents on the dollar in the first place. Calgary does well to pick up a piece for the playoff run.

Grades
Calgary
Talent: B
Organizational: A-
Huntsville
Talent: C+
Organizational: B-

[hr]

Omaha/Birmingham
Omaha receives:
CF Vicente Marin
Birmingham receives:
CF Santiago Baez (prospect)

[list][*]Marin's a bit of an odd duck. He's a righty all or nothing free swing centerfielder with massive power, a slick glove and solid wheels. He's hardly ever seen a pitch he didn't nearly fall out of his shoes trying to hit, but that hasn't kept him from posting reasonably productive seasons due primarily to his ability to hit the ball out of the park. He's had some injury problems and is getting a bit long in the tooth, but should stay productive for another year or two.[/list]

[list][*]Twenty-one year old Santiago Baez is about as different hitter than the man he was traded for as you can find. He's a slap hitter with okay contact skills and a good eye, with little to no power. He is a good base stealer, with a very good centerfield glove. As a right handed bat with barely major league level contact, he may struggle to maintain a consistent average, but his feet and his eye will help keep his OBP from plummeting. He's a bit hard to project, but if can post a consistent .245/.335/.355 line, he's a pretty decent center field option, and should stay cheap. He could also surprise and be a .260/.345/.380 guy, or suck and be .230/.310/.330.[/list]

I didn't like Baez at first, but frankly Birmingham needed to trade Marin now before he aged any further and killed his value. Baez looks pretty bad on paper at first, but could be a reasonable player. Omaha flipped a questionable prospect for a need CF upgrade. Good buyer and seller matchup.

Grades
Omaha
Organizational: B+
Birmingham
Talent: C-
Organizational: B+

[hr]

Brooklyn/Louisville
Brooklyn receives:
One (probably Canadian) dollar.

Louisville receives:
CF Miguel Hernandez

[list][*] One hundred pennies, Canadian or otherwise, isn't much.[/list]

[list][*] I've already spent entirely too long looking for the recently released Miguel Hernandez. He's a chump. I have no idea how he was ever making over a mil.[/list]

This was a salary dump I think? I don't care. I'm bored here.

Grades
Brooklyn
Talent: N/A
Organizational: B
Louisville
Talent: None to be found
Organizational: Y (as in why bother)

[hr]

New Orleans/Brooklyn
New Orleans receives:
2B Alberto Shoemaker
SP Yoshimatsu Yamaguchi (prospect)
RP Fai Yip (prospect)
RP Duggan Padgett (prospect)

Brooklyn receives:
SP Michael Leroy
SS Alex Ramirez

[list][*]Albert Shoemaker is an interesting player. He has somehow put together a fairly solid offensive career at a weak hitting position despite his mediocre contact ability. His speed certainly plays a role in that. However, he can't play second base, and never really has been able too. He also makes too much money for what he is, is in decline, and is signed for too long.
[*]Yoshimatsu Yamaguchi is a long, long way from starting in the MBWBA. However, the 16 year old throws very hard for his age and is better developed than some. If he gets the typical velocity bumps one would expect, he could have anywhere from middle of the order to top of the rotation stuff. He projects well, but at this point is only that, a projection.
[*]Fai Yip as a lefty with a fastball/slider combo, at first glance looks like your typical LOOGY. However doesn't have a bad split, and with any velocity increase could really turn into a decent relief option. He's still only 18, so anywhere from setup to LOOGY is possible.
[*]Duggan Padgett is aother hard throwing youngster, topping out at 95 at age 17. He has all the makings of a lefty closer, which is a nice commodity, but again, has a ways to go and is anything but a sure thing.[/list]

[list][*]Michael Leroy has had a nice career to this point. He's been a mid 3's FIP, 4ish WAR guy for many years and has a decent salary for this year and next for that talent level. Here's the problem. He's 34 and lost velocity this last February. That's scary. I bet he's out of baseball in a year as his velocity will just plummet.
[*]I don't like Alex Ramirez. He's a slap hitter with only acceptable contact. His other problem is that he doesn't have the range for short. He may not even have it for second base. That's a problem as his bat won't play elsewhere. If his contact is closer to 8 and than 7, his wheels may turn him into an acceptable batter. Think .285/.330/420. His best bet may be a corner outfield spot if he can't play up the middle.[/list]

I don't like to kill people for trades, but I really don't like this for Brooklyn. Look, Shoemaker is a minus. Getting out of that deal is big. If I couldn't do something in free agency because I had to pay Shoemaker, I'd want to shoot myself in the face. The problem is, his bad contact is replaced by what will almost assuredly be a bad deal for Leroy next year (Leroy's deal does end one year sooner). I don't like Ramirez. He's a baseball version of a tweener. So, to get a marginally better contract situation and a questionable player, Brooklyn had to give up three real prospects, albeit very very young ones. New Orleans didn't need Leroy, did take on some bad salary, but got excellent return for a player they don't need.

Grades
New Orleans
Talent: B+
Organizational: A
Brooklyn
Talent: B-
Organizational: C-

[hr]

Brooklyn/Jacksonville
Brooklyn receives:
CF William Kidd

Jacksonville receives:
C Jake Blues (prospect)
IF Gustavo Gonzales (prospect)

[list][*]William Kidd is getting old at age 35, but he's still a lefty outfield bat can get on base and play the hell out of right field, and play centerfield in a pinch. One has to wonder how much longer he'll last, but he's signed to a very reasonable deal through 2028.[/list]

[list][*] Jake Blues is a 21 year old lefty catcher with no real great hitting tools, but no real weaknesses either. Being a lefty catcher alone makes him more value than most similar prospects, and he could be a very good average/line drive power catcher.
[*]Gustavo Gonzales is a slap hitting speedster who looks like he could play elite and elite third or second, and probably at least average short. He's not an impact bat but should be serviceable.[/list]

I hate this trade for Brooklyn, almost as much has I hate killing Alan twice in a row. I know they needed a right fielder who waasn't a black hole on defense, but you have to have been able to pay less for a guy like Kidd, who is not at all a commodity. That's the problem with this deal. While by no means future all start, both the players they gave up are better than average at very very weak positions, whereas Kidd is just another aging corner OF. I know Brooklyn was trying to build up for the playoffs, but this is an overpay. Jacksonville has no need for Kidd given their bad year, and makes out like bandits. Both of these guys could be on the roster in 2028.

Grades
Brooklyn
Organizational: D
Jacksonville
Talent: B-
Organizational: A+

[hr]

Louisville/Jacksonville
Louisville receives:
One dollar

Jacksonville receives:
SP Antonio Mendoza (prospect)
RF/LF Luis Tejada

[list][*]Is this the same dollar they later sent to Brooklyn?[/list]

[list][*]Antonio Mendoza is a nice little 19 year old lefty lottery ticket. As a lefty with four pitches, including a splitter and change, he really only needs to bump any one of his ratings to be a viable back of the rotation starter in this league. Even if he doesn't he's probably a middle relief option. He's solidly developed for his age.[/list]
[*]Luis Tejada is a serviceable corner outfielder. His .276/.336/.412 career line, augmented by his solid defense, is noting to write home about, but he's the kind of roster filling bat everyone needs. He's probably a bit overpaid at 7 mil per, and with any decline the back end of his contract (through 2029) could be painful.

Louisville wanted out of Tejada's contract. He was a steaming pile of dog crap in 2026, and probably not worth his salary, although a good deal better in the first half of 2027. However, unless the genius has plan I don't know about (which of course he does), Louisville is not poised to break out next year. Why pay to unload a smaller salary like this one if you don't have to, although Mendoza, while interesting, isn't much. Jacksonville had to get Rutlidge out of the outfield, so good deal for them.

Grades
Louisville
Organizational: C+
Jacksonville

[hr]

Louisville/Hawaii
Louisville receives:
$200,000 Brewster bucks

Hawaii receives:
IF Paul Regret

[list][*] Genius Hopkins loves gettin dem checks.[/list]

[list][*]Regret is a good backup infielder. He's a great defender, and can't hit for crap. He's appropriately paid and a free agent next year.[/list]

Louisville saves a little cash, Hawaii picks up roster depth. Ho-hum. Nothing to see here.

Grades
Louisville
Hawaii
Talent: C-

[hr]

Brooklyn/Louisville
Brooklyn receives:
CL Alan Dominguez

Louisville receives:
1B/3B Jamie Murray

[list][*] Dominguez is a nice reliever. Great strikeout stuff, good versus lefties due to having two of my favorite pitchers, the cutter and change. He is a bit prone giving up homers, but not so badly he can't be a good back of the pen option. He's nice and cheap, too.[/list]

[list][*]I have no idea what the hell has made scouts think that suddenly in his late twenties, Jamie Murray is going to nearly double his power. He is getting upticks in contact as well. He's not really a third baseman, but is quite good at first. We're he somehow to reach his potential (you know, like if he's doing a bunch of 'roids) his power, speed, and eye combination could be electric.[/list]

Finally, I don't crucify Alan. Good pickup in Dominguez for a guy in Murray who is likely a AAA player. Dominguez was underachieving, but I'm not sure why Stu makes this deal, although Dominguez was strugglnig a bit this year. Part of me wonders if he's just praying Murray gets caught doing 'roids so he can write a profanity laden tirade (you know, more so than normal).

Grades
Brooklyn
Talent: B
Louisville
Talent: D+
Organizational: D+

[hr]

That's it for this edition. Next time I look at the trades in the week before the deadline. That will probably be broken into two parts. Also, no Brooklyn trades so I don't have to beat up Alan anymore.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

bigmike13
Ex-GM

Re: (2028 points start here) Trade Review 2027 #2- The Deadl

Post by bigmike13 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:48 am

Great article! I Bumped Baez Work Ethic, hope it helps
Mike Calvaruso
San Antonio Outlaws 2030 -
Birmingham Bandits 2006-2029

indiansfan
BBA GM

Post by indiansfan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:53 am

Escalante turns out was just a rental, so I'd say it worked out better for Huntsville. Plus the stiff posted a 13.50 ERA for me.
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:27 am

I make a lot of moves just to clear roster space. And a lot of moves because I like to make moves.

Dominguez is nice, but he's a reliever; and a last place team can afford to gamble on Murray developing

Hernandez was a buck, worth it to see if he could fill a hole some where, turns out he couldn't...

Tejeda was killing me; and I've got a ton of young outfielders coming thru who can reproduce what he was giving me for the league minimum

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:32 am

I appreciate the effort, but no need to number these - I just count them up per user number after the PP counted thread.

As for the CGY-HSV trade... yeah, I was pretty disappointed that this was all I could get for Escalante. The trade market seemed pretty dead at the deadline. Still, Contrereas has a couple things that make me really excited for him. A Southpaw with 100 MPH velocity at age 20? That is clearly going to max out by the time he is fully developed - which likely means that STU is above 10. Cutter and sinker are my 2 favorite pitches, too, and I'm well known to worship at the alter of MOV and GB% of which he is terrific. I might have concerns about his control as a SP, but I've had success with bad command relievers in the past - as long as the rest of them is elite (which it is).
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:48 am

I already admit that the Leroy trade was bad. I kinda didn't want to do it, but felt I needed one more piece. His stats still looked solid enough and I still feel if we could have avoided Vancouver, we would have had a good shot at the Landis. Leroy has since lumped again and I'm most likely going to use him in middle relief next season. My willingness to deal the 3 young pitchers was that they are all very raw and will have to be on the 40 man roster by the age of 21-22 and be out of options by 24. One of the pitchers has been on the DL 3 times since the trade while another tore his labrum.

The Kidd trade I still defend. Jake Blues was a club house cancer and was going to be traded at some point. IMO he's not a catcher. He's been in the minor leagues for 5 years and only has a 2 rating. I saw him as an ok hitting DH with a bad attitude. Kidd on the other hand is a great fielding RF who can hit enough in our platoon heavy lineup.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:42 am

Thanks for doing these again Ted!
ae37jr wrote:I already admit that the Leroy trade was bad. I kinda didn't want to do it, but felt I needed one more piece. His stats still looked solid enough and I still feel if we could have avoided Vancouver, we would have had a good shot at the Landis. Leroy has since lumped again and I'm most likely going to use him in middle relief next season. My willingness to deal the 3 young pitchers was that they are all very raw and will have to be on the 40 man roster by the age of 21-22 and be out of options by 24. One of the pitchers has been on the DL 3 times since the trade while another tore his labrum.

The Kidd trade I still defend. Jake Blues was a club house cancer and was going to be traded at some point. IMO he's not a catcher. He's been in the minor leagues for 5 years and only has a 2 rating. I saw him as an ok hitting DH with a bad attitude. Kidd on the other hand is a great fielding RF who can hit enough in our platoon heavy lineup.
I'd say our deal comes down to how well Kidd holds up next year at 35/36. If he can hover around 100 OPS+ with plus defense in RF (or average defense in CF), it's a good deal for you. If not, well then it isn't so rosy.

Gonzalez is borderline unless he can be an average SS and/or gain back that 7th point of contact. Though if he is capable to be a SS, he could possibly hit enough to play at an offensively deficient position. Blues is the intriguing prospect here. He's been in the minors 5 years, but has only played one season's worth of games (119) behind the plate, so I think there could be considerable development there in his future. And if he can be okay defensively with 7/8/6/6/5 ratings against RHP, he could be a valuable piece (though not likely an all-star) and personality can be fixed if he's good enough to spend the PP on.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:16 pm

It was indeed that same dollar. Hah.
GM Vancouver Mounties

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:35 pm

ae37jr wrote:I already admit that the Leroy trade was bad. I kinda didn't want to do it, but felt I needed one more piece. His stats still looked solid enough and I still feel if we could have avoided Vancouver, we would have had a good shot at the Landis. Leroy has since lumped again and I'm most likely going to use him in middle relief next season. My willingness to deal the 3 young pitchers was that they are all very raw and will have to be on the 40 man roster by the age of 21-22 and be out of options by 24. One of the pitchers has been on the DL 3 times since the trade while another tore his labrum.

The personality thing with Blues definitely makes a difference. That's fixable, but expensive if he's that bad.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Trade Analysis”