Trade Deadline Recap

Analyze and breakdown all Brewster Baseball Association deals here
agrudez
Ex-GM

Trade Deadline Recap

Post by agrudez » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Leading up to the trade deadline this year, there were 8 deals consummated with 9 teams involved: HSV (1), CGY (1), OMA (1), BIR (1), LOU (4), BRK (4), NO (1), JAC (2), HI (1). By far the most active teams were LOU and BRK, with all the rest of the teams (other than JAC) coming in with just 1 deal. Let's look at LOU, BRK and JAC first as those with multiple deals on the record. Then we'll look at the rest save HI (apologies, but I'd find it extremely tough to write anything remotely interesting about buying Regret for 200K).

Louisville
Out:
Dominguez
200K cash
Mendoza
Tejada

In:
Murray
Regret
Hernandez

Louisville ended up with the worst record in the JL at 62-100, so when you see 4 deals for them at the deadline you naturally assume they were selling off some talented, expendable veteran pieces like Clough. Instead, their major trade was swapping out a cheap, useful 28 year old RH'd reliever for... a cheap, not useful 28 year old 1B/3B. The rest of the moves were pretty inconsequential, though dropping Tejeda's salary at the time probably felt like a big win (probably not so much now after he posted 2.2 WAR in JAC, but that's only with the insight of retrospect - at the time I'd have agreed with the move from LOU's perspective).

Overall, nothing really went on here to demonstrably change the Sluggers present nor future so its tough to drum up motivation to argue any of the deals either way. If we were grading these moves (we're not - Ted has that reserved) we'd have to make one up... how about a 'N' for 'Nothing to see here'.

Brooklyn
Out:
Murray
Blues
Gonzalez
Padgett
Yip
Yamaguchi
Shoemaker
Hernandez

In:
Dominguez
Kidd
Ramirez
Leroy

As boring as Louisville's 4 deals were is as exciting as Brooklyn's were. In an effort to prove that last season's fluke wasn't a fluke, the Robins dramatically improved their team this past offseason and turned around to do the same at the trade deadline as well. At this point, it is tough to imagine that they aren't the favors to represent the JL in the WS. Which, of course, means they'll get swept in the current round because there is no justice in the world. Still, the inevitable randomizer smiting that awaits Brooklyn certainly won't be able to be pinned on a lack of trying. Dominguez is a legit reliever. Leroy has pitched like a bonafide ace all year. And Kidd is a perfectly fine role player for a team with a need for his skill set.

In terms of value, pulling Dominguez out of literal thin air is pretty impressive and Kidd for Blues seems relatively fair, but how about the Leroy deal? Ramirez is a sub-replacement level body with a pulse so let's ignore him in the NO swap. As such, it breaks down as an expensive 34 year old SP with a bad LHB split and only 2 good pitches for 2 really good lefty relief prospects and a really good SP prospect. All 3 are really young (18, 17 and 16 respectively) and we all know how I feel about teenage prospects (or prospects in general!), but it really feels like Leroy was being sold (and bought) based on past performance instead of future - and his 1-3 record and 4.5 ERA since coming to Brooklyn agrees. I'm pretty sure there were other SP on the market if the Robins really felt they needed on that could've provided more for a package like that - both in the near and far term. Still, no doubt they got better overall and poised themselves well for a playoff push.

Jacksonville
Out:
Kidd

In:
Mendoza
Tejada
Blues
Gonzalez

For a team in JAC's position, it was pretty obvious the 35 year old Kidd should be shopped and I think they got terrific value for him all things considered. At present, Gonzalez isn't terribly exciting looking, but he is a LHB with 6 CON and a good glove which is at least 3 checks in the "can he make it in this league" box. The most interesting part, though, is his INSANE intangibles (VH int and WE) along with his already nearly fully developed ratings (just missing 3 points of POT) at age 19. If ever there were a player where I would predict bumps in his future, it would be here. Also, Blues is a sneaky really good prospect as a catcher - particularly with a +split vs. RHP starting to show.

New Orleans
Out:
Ramirez
Leroy

In:
Padgett
Yip
Yamaguchi
Shoemaker

As you might expect from what I wrote in Brooklyn's section, I love this deal for New Orleans. Forgetting his sterling 3.31 ERA and 4.1 WAR accruded in New Orleans this season, Leroy is clearly in decline with his 3rd pitch and LHB splits barely holding on as SP quality. He'll be 35 by the start of next season and already had a POT 2.5 stars under his OVR which is generally a portend for lumping in my experience. He was also already pretty redundant for the 100 win Crawdads who very likely would not have had him in their playoff starting 4 over Espinoza (I know I wouldn't). In return, they get 3 really raw, but very interesting prospects. Yamaguchi has the potential of a #2 SP, Padgett looks like he could be a closer and Yip is at worst a LOOGY (stupid slider!), but for now looks like he might have setup potential. Even if only 1 of those guys hits, it'll basically be something for nothing from NO's perspective.

BIR-OMA
OMA receives:
Marin

BIR receives:
Baez

Despite breaking many of my own personal rules about the minimum requirements of a RHB in this league, Marin has made a nice little career for himself thanks to his glove and OMA needed a CFer. In return, BIR probably thought they were getting a rough facsimile in Baez, but I'm skeptical.

CGY-HSV
HSV receives:
Contreras

CGY receives:
Escalante

3.1 IP and 5 ER is probably not what Calgary was hoping to get from Escalante when they dealt for him, but he's still an elite reliever that could redeem himself as the Pioneers make it deeper into the playoffs. In return, they gave up a flame-throwing lefty reliever with severe control issues. Everything other than the fact that he might hit the peanut girl in the 2nd row during any given pitch is awesome, though - good intangibles (VH LA, H WE), 100 MPH fastball, an elite cutter AND sinker? /swoon. Maybe he'll figure out where the plate is one of these days - or maybe not. For an expiring contract it seemed a decent enough bet.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Ted
Ex-GM

Re: Trade Deadline Recap

Post by Ted » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:39 pm

I'm gonna look at this more in depth later, but good stuff Kyle. I'm of the next five days (finally), so expect a scathing rebuttal in which I call you an idiot that hates prospects too much soon.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Rubaboo
BBA GM

Re: Trade Deadline Recap

Post by Rubaboo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:52 pm

Interesting fact about the Marin/Baez deal: this season was the second time these guys were swapped basically 1 for 1. Marin arrived in Birmingham from Greenville in exchange for Baez and $3M in 2024.
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Trade Analysis”