Post by Ted » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:44 pm

A couple ho-hum moves in the last week.

Buffalo/Madison
Buffalo receives:
cap relief

Madison receives:
RF Richard Poe
LF Johnnie Oh (prospect)

Poor Richard Poe. Poe started his career as a promising young outfielder in the Halifax system. He accrued 15.3 WAR in his first four seasons and looked to be a staple in the lineup for years to come. He could never escape the injury bug; however, missing time due to 11 document injuries in his first 6 seasons. His bat started to slow early, likely due to all the damage, and he was finally done in by a PCL tear that he will never recover from. Buffalo trades him essentially for salary relief, as the team is well over budget this year.

To do so they give up 22 year old AAA LF Johnnie Oh. Currently, Oh has the look of a AAAA player, but does have a good glove in LF and hits righties reasonably well with some pop. The exciting thing about him is he's fully developed at 22, and has bumped recently. With one more good bump he could become a real plus in the OF for Madison. It's unclear where he will play if on the big league roster as he would be behind incumbents Andrew Ivey and Matt Moore. He would provide a cheaper option next year if Madison trades one of the two or lets them walk in FA. I'm not sure he was the best player for Buffalo to give up as he is liekly better than there current LF Jimmie Starks (although Starks is on fire to start the season)

Grades
Buffalo: Talent N/A, Organizational C
Madison: Talent C+, Organizational A-

Huntsville/Greenville (someday I hope to do one of these without talking about HSV)
Huntsville receives:
C Ignacio Rubio

Greenville receives:
P Craig Browning(prospect)

Huntsville makes another move to shore up a modest team trying to take advantage of an unexpected playoff chance. Rubio has a very good track record when allowed to play. He might have lots a bit of bat speed compared to the early 20's version of himself, but this hasn't kept him from being effective as recently as last year, when he posted a .301/.369/.511 line. He handles pitchers well, but is know to have a problem shutting down the run game.

For Greenville, who had four catchers on the ML roster with two ahead of Rubio, this is a no-brainer move. In return they get 23 year old prospect Craig Browning. Browning has never really showed the endurance to be a starter, and has struggled above the AAA level. This is a shame as he has great physical tools, and a good head on his shoulders. He seems only a little bit of improvement away from being an effective major level player, but doesn't have the record to back this up. Huntsville's office views him as a dime a dozen long reliever, 6th starter type. He may end up a bit better.

Grades
Huntsville: Talent B+, Organizational B+
Greenville: Talent C+, Organizational B+
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

crobillard
Ex-GM

Re: Trade Review 2022 #3 - They can't all be exciting

Post by crobillard » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:59 pm

Ted wrote:A couple ho-hum moves in the last week.

Buffalo/Madison
Buffalo receives:
cap relief

Madison receives:
RF Richard Poe
LF Johnnie Oh (prospect)

Poor Richard Poe. Poe started his career as a promising young outfielder in the Halifax system. He accrued 15.3 WAR in his first four seasons and looked to be a staple in the lineup for years to come. He could never escape the injury bug; however, missing time due to 11 document injuries in his first 6 seasons. His bat started to slow early, likely due to all the damage, and he was finally done in by a PCL tear that he will never recover from. Buffalo trades him essentially for salary relief, as the team is well over budget this year.

To do so they give up 22 year old AAA LF Johnnie Oh. Currently, Oh has the look of a AAAA player, but does have a good glove in LF and hits righties reasonably well with some pop. The exciting thing about him is he's fully developed at 22, and has bumped recently. With one more good bump he could become a real plus in the OF for Madison. It's unclear where he will play if on the big league roster as he would be behind incumbents Andrew Ivey and Matt Moore. He would provide a cheaper option next year if Madison trades one of the two or lets them walk in FA. I'm not sure he was the best player for Buffalo to give up as he is liekly better than there current LF Jimmie Starks (although Starks is on fire to start the season)

Grades
Buffalo: Talent N/A, Organizational C
Madison: Talent C+, Organizational A-

Huntsville/Greenville (someday I hope to do one of these without talking about HSV)
Huntsville receives:
C Ignacio Rubio

Greenville receives:
P Craig Browning(prospect)

Huntsville makes another move to shore up a modest team trying to take advantage of an unexpected playoff chance. Rubio has a very good track record when allowed to play. He might have lots a bit of bat speed compared to the early 20's version of himself, but this hasn't kept him from being effective as recently as last year, when he posted a .301/.369/.511 line. He handles pitchers well, but is know to have a problem shutting down the run game.

For Greenville, who had four catchers on the ML roster with two ahead of Rubio, this is a no-brainer move. In return they get 23 year old prospect Craig Browning. Browning has never really showed the endurance to be a starter, and has struggled above the AAA level. This is a shame as he has great physical tools, and a good head on his shoulders. He seems only a little bit of improvement away from being an effective major level player, but doesn't have the record to back this up. Huntsville's office views him as a dime a dozen long reliever, 6th starter type. He may end up a bit better.

Grades
Huntsville: Talent B+, Organizational B+
Greenville: Talent C+, Organizational B+
I agree with this. I was jealous of Huntsville getting Rubio. Amazing deal.

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:41 am

Good one again Ted. Oh isn't anything special but could be a contributor. I'm obviously looking towards the future and Oh could be a very cheap 4th outfielder type.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:54 pm

I wasn't excited to give up Oh (not least because Johnny Oh is an absolutely fantastic name) but he wasn't going to make or break the club anywhere down the line, strikes me as a pretty replaceable player and I really just need the room to maneuver.
Adam Dyck
Cairo Chariot Archers Baseball Club, General Manager 2043-Present

Edmonton Jackrabbits, General Manager 2029
Belfast North Stars, General Manager 2028
Havana Sugar Kings, General Manager 2022-2027

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:12 pm

Chey wrote:I wasn't excited to give up Oh (not least because Johnny Oh is an absolutely fantastic name) but he wasn't going to make or break the club anywhere down the line, strikes me as a pretty replaceable player and I really just need the room to maneuver.
I didn't mean to imply it was a bad move. You're right in that he is very replaceable and the financial situation was clearly more important. I was just trying to find something to talk about. You could flip a coin on whether he or Starks is better
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:25 pm

Or maybe Starks really is a true-talent .353/.404/.575 hitter. You never know!
Adam Dyck
Cairo Chariot Archers Baseball Club, General Manager 2043-Present

Edmonton Jackrabbits, General Manager 2029
Belfast North Stars, General Manager 2028
Havana Sugar Kings, General Manager 2022-2027

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:15 pm

Oh's bat will definitely play against RHP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Trade Analysis”