Sonny Bigalow deal (done 8/26/58)

Analyze and breakdown all Brewster Baseball Association deals here
JRamirez
BBA GM

Sonny Bigalow deal (done 8/26/58)

Post by JRamirez » Sat May 25, 2024 10:45 pm

So apparently there was this guy named Sonny Bigalow (4/7/7/8/4) on my team, that is, Des Moines. He was traded in late August of last year to San Fernando for four prospects. That was two months ago in real life. This is an early analysis of this trade, from the perspective of the Kernels new general manager.

TLTR; I approve this deal.

SFB received
OF-IF Sonny Bigalow
$3m

DMK got
P Joe Hulton (5/6/5) fragile
P Javier 'Optimus' Duarte (POT 6/5/6)
P Salah Lutfi (POT 7/5/5). fragile
CF Salih 'Hammerhead' bin Salah (CUR 1/2/2/1/2 POT 6/8/5/6/6)

Bin Salah had just been acquired by SFB from Long Beach in a deal involving SS Sammy McNeill, who I'll soon see in action for the first time. Anyway, his name doesn't figure at all for me in this trade.

Bigalow, sometimes spelled Bigelow, Bugalow, or Biggilow, in random DMK publications, was a hot-shot in the DM system. He was drafted in rnd 3 of the 52 draft and in 2053 was already playing in the bigs, in Iowa, in 96 games. He sent 16 balls over various ML fences that year. And he even saw some postseason time in 53. He did that also in the two "glory years" of 55 and 56 for DM. In the 56 postseason he had 5 home runs and 13 rbis. That regular season he was a FL all-star and posted a 3.7 WAR. Last year, by August, he had slammed 33 home runs for the Kernels and shown decent fielding numbers in the outfield, especially in right. That was two months after signing a six-year extension for $6m a year. Then...gone to San Fernando.

Kurt Imber, aka BaseClogger, said at the time he hadn't really had a decent centerfielder in the BBA and that he hoped he could "plug him in center and turn my attention elsewhere." He also said "[former DMK-GM] Josh asked for a hefty return and I clearly overpaid" and he "didn't mind including the three pitching prospects." He noted that two of the young pitchers were fragile.

I noticed that, too. lol. because I don't like fragile players. (Remember that, guys.)

So, anyway, the two fragiles are at Double-A, doing well. Hulton probably won't start much in the majors. He could be a bottom-tier reliever. Duarte I like a lot better. He has a 1.18 WHIP in 9 starts. He will probably stay at AA this year. He's only 20. He could play football--or pitch for Sydney! He's 6'10", 200 lb. But his early history does show some moderate injuries. Hmm, maybe I should make sure he has a good trainer. I think he'll make a decent ML starter. Lutfi is 21 and was moved to S A where he is expected to be the ace (unless 2059 draftees displace him). That brings us to Bin Salah. At 18 he is not a ranked prospect. I like his potential. The game scout says his ceiling is a bench role. We'll see. He looks a lot better than most 2059 draft picks I looked at.

Bin Salah outstandingly improved is two-strike approach under JoshD's tenure.

Meanwhile... when thinking about this trade: would Bigalow start this year for Des Moines? And that is not a clear yes. He would return to the revolving-door circus that he, Makin, and Cano form as oft-injured outfielders. Speaking of that, Bigalow has sprained his ankle for six weeks. Meanwhile, in 42 games for SFB this year and last he is hitting .153. I am going to guess that Sonny's injury rating is pretty high too. High as in not good. The last six injuries he's had, four have been substantial. Back to the question: would Bigalow start for me this year? JoshD signed 38-y.o. Manoell Whanon to replace (let's say) Bigalow. Whanon won Batter-of-the-Month for DM for April. And he's doing even better in May. He's on course to get 180 hits and 72 rbis this season, with a 99 OPS+.

I'm still wet behind the ears here, so I don't know fast players develop. I do know that great Cfs and SSs are rare. Who is Sunny Bigalow? With v25 do we even know? haha, I'm trying to throw sand into your eyes. Bigalow is an ultimate starting utility player. He might have been decent at Edward Murphy Stadium. Baseclogger says Chico's Bail Bonds Field (what a name!) is also a hitter's park.

I'm gonna be a little Kernel-centric and say DM wins in this deal. Maybe wins big. The most important thing in life, some say, is health. That'll have an outcome in this trade. I am guessing Bigalow is going to continue to disappoint in California and he's gonna lump due to injury, if not soon, then sometime during his six-year contract. Two of the pitchers will probably see time in the bigs, especially if they stay in the sordid DM system. And then there's Bin Salah; he is a wild card.

The other thing is that another $6m in expenses this year would have guaranteed a large deficit. I am glad to get rid of that, and I don't think Sonny was valuable enough to keep around. Although, I could have used the $3m we sent with him.
Last edited by JRamirez on Tue May 28, 2024 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Des Moines Kernels, 2059 Spring training II and onwards
Cairo Pharaohs (GBC), 2058 offseason

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Sunny Bigalow deal (done 8/26/58)

Post by BaseClogger » Sun May 26, 2024 7:28 pm

It was a trade that made (some) sense for both sides. In a vacuum, Bigalow is clearly a starting caliber BBA center fielder and needs to be valued as such, even if he was blocked in Des Moines. Hindsight is already getting the better of us somewhat because he’s been so bad (in a still small sample) since the trade. I still think he has a big season left in him but he’ll probably frustrate me most years.

Each of those prospects have something to offer but also a wart keeping them as they currently stand from being important BBA players.

The trade value on bin Salah alone is pretty huge for the already stated center field position scarcity reason but he has a looong way to go.

The $3M in cash is just about equal to one of the pitching prospects.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

JRamirez
BBA GM

Re: Sunny Bigalow deal (done 8/26/58)

Post by JRamirez » Sun May 26, 2024 8:37 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:28 pm
It was a trade that made (some) sense for both sides. In a vacuum, Bigalow is clearly a starting caliber BBA center fielder and needs to be valued as such, even if he was blocked in Des Moines. Hindsight is already getting the better of us somewhat because he’s been so bad (in a still small sample) since the trade. I still think he has a big season left in him but he’ll probably frustrate me most years.

Each of those prospects have something to offer but also a wart keeping them as they currently stand from being important BBA players.

The trade value on bin Salah alone is pretty huge for the already stated center field position scarcity reason but he has a looong way to go.

The $3M in cash is just about equal to one of the pitching prospects.
I hope Bigalow is a great success for you.
Des Moines Kernels, 2059 Spring training II and onwards
Cairo Pharaohs (GBC), 2058 offseason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Trade Analysis”