Revisiting the Pedro Gomez Trade

Analyze and breakdown all Brewster Baseball Association deals here
7teen
BBA GM

Revisiting the Pedro Gomez Trade

Post by 7teen » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:15 pm

In May of 2045, the Chicago Black Sox made a big move to acquire Catcher Pedro Gomez from the Portland Lumberjacks. The Black Sox were coming off a post-season trip in 2044 and were looking to make a big move to better their chances at not only winning the Heartland but contending for a Landis title. Portland, on the other hand, jumped the gun a few years prior and acquired some talent thinking they had the parts to contend in the Pacific. The Lumberjacks were too early to the party and instead settled for trading off pieces, like Gomez, eyeing a few years down the road as their time to contend.

The Trade:
To Chicago:
C Pedro Gomez
P Xing-li Cong

To Portland:
P Randolph Marable
P Rafael Gomez
P Juan Martinez

What the Teams Got
Chicago got their catcher to push ahead in a tough Heartland and Frick League battle. Let's also note real quick that Cong never materialized. Chicago got a piece they felt was needed in a weak catchers market to perhaps knock off Yellow Springs. The Black Sox jumped to 95 wins in 2045 but still finished 3rd in the division. They were bounced in the opening round of the post-season. In 2046, they jumped to 2nd in the division and 98 wins, but yet again were sent home in the opening round. In 2047, they won 98 again, dropped to 3rd, but again, went home in the first round. They gave Gomez a 4-year extension that season (more on that later). In 2048, Chicago won 95 games, fell to 4th in the division, and yet again, went home in the 1st round.

Meanwhile, the trade landed Portland 3 pitchers. At the time, pitching was still a huge commodity and Portland went back to its Master Plan philosophy in stockpiling young arms. None of the 3 arms were ranked on the top-100 prospects list at the time of the trade and only Randolph Marable appeared on the list at any-time, ranking in at 78th the following off-season. Nonetheless, Portland had some of its own drafted talent still waiting in the wings and these parts would add to the stable of Lumberjacks arms.

Production
Chicago has gotten what it expected from Gomez. He has produced 20.3 WAR over his time in Chicago and has single handedly outperformed what the arms Portland got in the trade have since the trade. The three arms have posted a total of 17.9 total WAR since the trade, with reliever Juan Martinez putting up close to half of that while appearing in an all-star game back in 2047.

What About Now?
Looking at the trade through the 2045 lense, Chicago had to be happy with the move. Gomez has been a staple in the lineup and behind the plate, producing what they needed. Looking at the trade in the eyes of 2050, Portland couldn't be happier. Marable is in the midst of his best season to date as the 24 year old lefty has 16 wins on the season and looking for more. He's taken a rotation spot and ran with it after years of shuffling between the bullpen and rotation. Martinez has been a steady arm out of the bullpen for 5 seasons now. He's produced over 1.0 WAR in each of the 5 seasons and has made a decent payday out of his relief efforts.

The real kicker in the trade remains Rafael Gomez. Gomez was a 2-pitch pitcher at the time of the trade and appeared destined to be on the same path as Martinez. IN fact, if memory recalls, Portland was looking to build a very strong bullpen via trades. But then Gomez discovered he had the ability to throw a changeup and added a devastating 3rd pitch. Suddenly the trade swung into Portland's favor. But then we throw in the wrench that Gomez has failed to remain healthy. If Gomez could remain healthy and perform to the ability he appears to show, then Portland would be in a very good place at the moment.

But then we circle back to Pedro Gomez and that contract extension. The Black Sox 7 year streak of making it to the post-season came to an end last season. Chicago now appears caught in that middle area of having good pieces but not enough to contend. It's a precarious spot because the Black Sox appear headed towards a losing season and show a payroll of being over the cap for next season. That's never a good spot to be in. At 31 years of age and still one of the top guys at a weak spot, Chicago would love to recoup some losses on a veteran like Gomez and perhaps build up some farm pieces. However, previous ownership groups gave Gomez a no-trade clause in which the all-star catcher refuses to void, at least in 2050, making him impossible to trade.

Meanwhile Portland, utilizing two of the arms in the trade (minus R. Gomez due to another injury) is in the midst of a run similar to what Chicago had a few years back. The Lumberjacks came up short last year in winning a Landis but are primed for another run here in 2050.

Of course the irony of it all is, Portland could really use a better catcher to improve their 2050 chances.

Who Won the Trade?
I think this is a rare case where you can say both teams got exactly what they wanted. Portland got its needs met of acquiring a future arms stable while Chicago got another all-star piece to make a run. While the end result didn't get met in the terms of winning the Black Sox a title (or a post-season series for that matter), Pedro Gomez proved a pivotal part of making that run. Meanwhile Portland is reaping the benefits of the trade at the moment, fulfilling their needs at the time of the trade.

Granted I'm sure Tyler would love to reverse the trade given the current state of the Black Sox.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Re: Revisiting the Pedro Gomez Trade

Post by tylertoo » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:41 pm

7teen wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:15 pm
Granted I'm sure Tyler would love to reverse the trade given the current state of the Black Sox.
Great analysis -- love these kinds of articles!

I don't think I'd want to reverse the trade, but I definitely wish previous management had not agreed to the NTC for Gomez. He obviously doesn't fit into our current plans and he could absolutely have moved before the deadline. But this trade was good for Chicago while it was contending and even though I didn't make the deal, I think it was good for the club up until this season.

(Also, it's Mike -- tylertoo is just my stupid forum login name)
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:27 pm

tylertoo wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:41 pm

(Also, it's Mike -- tylertoo is just my stupid forum login name)
My fault, Mike. I knew that. Think I got the Tyler stick I my head looking at your screen name.

At one point in that article I got my Gomez’s backwards too.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:53 pm

Yep. Think it worked out well for both parties. If Portland wins a championship with this squad then they obviously win the trade.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Post by lordtoffee » Sun May 01, 2022 7:58 pm

Dington wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:53 pm
Yep. Think it worked out well for both parties. If Portland wins a championship with this squad then they obviously win the trade.
I'd say that Portland already is in a good space. It really helped Portland's climb up into contention in hindsight.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Trade Analysis”