3 of the Most Lopsided trades in BBA history #2 (according to WAR)

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
Knucklehead254
BBA GM

3 of the Most Lopsided trades in BBA history #2 (according to WAR)

Post by Knucklehead254 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:45 am

So if you know me by now I love trades. I love to look back at those deals where it made or break a team. So of course I got curious to see some of past trades pf the BBA. Some of my favorite videos to watch on Youtube are about trades that ended up being in favour of one team, and got inspired to do this based on this video. Of course I'm not gonna do the exact rule they did and go based off just team control. If a player doesn't test free agency and re-signs with the team before hand, I'm counting it because simply put, it's more fun! Also there is no exact order based on anything, it's just three random trades.

While I am aware that WAR is not always the best tool to decide a players worth, I also try consider if a team has success after making a deal. For example if a team gets a one year rental which helps them win a title, even if they give up a future franchise player, I'll try not to consider it unless that rental doesn't have a good season.

DISCLAIMER: This was simply done for fun and not in anyway to trash other GM's whatsoever. Teams at the time made these deals because they thought it was best for the team. You know what they say, hindsight is 20/20.

LINK TO #1

July 1st, 2023

California receives:
P Luis Gracía 85 WAR
P Ricardo Ortíz 0 WAR

Huntsville receives:
RF Doug Kendall 0.3 WAR

Huntsville were looking to capitalize on a potential championship run in 2023, and added some depth with 27 year old right fielder Doug Kendall. Kendall had been struggling to crack the California roster and was only hitting .125 in 48 AB that year in the majors. Huntsville would go on to win the championship. I know what the second paragraph of the intro says so this can be a matter of opinion, but they would've won it without him, especially as he only suited up for four games the entire postseason before being dealt along with four other players in a trade for CF Kal El.

The two players they gave up were 18 year old pitcher Luis Gracía and 19 year old pitcher Ricardo Ortiz. Ortiz was dealt away in 2024 in a package deal for shortstop Todd Kilger. Gracia on the other hand slowly began to work his way up the Top 100 prospects list, getting up to #22 in 2028, his debut season. In his 15 year run with California, Gracía would go on to be one of the best pitchers in the BBA. He led the league in ERA twice, in Wins three times, and only had two seasons where he finished with an ERA above 4. He also became a 5 time All-Star, and finished runner up for the Steve Nebraska award in 2040. He would eventually lead the team to a championship in 2035. This trade really helped California continue there run of dominance, as they only missed the playoffs once during Gracía's first run. In an ironic twist of fate, California did get Kendall back in 2028.. just in time for Gracía's debut season.

Whilst this may seem like Huntsville got screwed, they did at least win the championship in 2023 and again in 2028, after 2031 they went on a decade long playoff drought, which may not have happened if they had kept Gracía.

July 21st, 2027

Vancouver receives:
2B Valeri Kharlamov 3.9 WAR

Indy receives:
3B Emilo Morales 56 WAR
1B Patrick Lue 5.6 WAR
2B Jesús Martínez 5.25 WAR
P José Rodríguez 2.7 WAR

In 2027, nearly 26 years after winning their last Monty, Vancouver made a trade for future hall of famer Valeri Kharalomov. It seemed like the right move, he had acquired nearly forty war his first 8 years with Indy and could've been the guy to push the Mounties over the top. I mean they did end up making the cartwright cup that year before losing to Omaha. He played ok with the Mounties but ultimately GM Brett Schroder dealt him away in 2028.

Indy got a decent haul of prospects and a regular starter in Martinez. Martinez actually had an amazing 2028 which culminated in his only All-Star appearance in his career. After a slow start to the 2030 season he was dealt in a seven player deal to Brooklyn. Patrick Lue was a fine player his 3 year stint before being dealt to Louisville for prospects in 2030 as well. Rodriguez was the weakest player received as he bounced up and down between the majors and AAA before leaving in 2034 to join Calgary.

Ok now that those guys are out of the way we can talk about the reason this trade is on here.. Emilo Morales. Morales would only go on to become the home run king of the BBA when he retired in 2050 with 738 Homeruns (before being passed by Felix Roman in 2056). Morales was an absolute beast in his prime, leading the BBA in Homeruns 6 years in a row, three times surpassing 60 Homeruns a season. Below are the rest of his accolades:

8X All-Star
2X Diamond Glover (3B)
6X Platinum Stick
4X Sawyer Silk Runner-up
1X League Champion
1X WAR League Leader
3X RBI League Leader
4X SLG% League Leader
6X Home Run League Leader

So of course this move ended up leading the now Omaha Cyclones to a championship in 2035 and one of Omaha's best players in franchise history. For my Vancouver Mounties, it ended with no championship and only three playoff appearances during Morales' career.

July 7th, 2037

San Fernando receives:
LF Rodrigo Barbosa 0 WAR
$700,000 0 WAR

Mexico City receives:
LF Fernando Moreno 70 WAR (and counting)

In the 2037 draft, the Mexico City Aztecs selected Rodrigo Barbosa 25th overall. Just 4 picks later, San Fernando selected Fernando Moreno 29th. Barbosa looked like he could become the next feared power hitter in the league, while Moreno had a clean swing that looked like he could bat over .300 easily. Just two weeks after both players signed their bonuses, they were swapped for each other, with $700,000 sent to San Fernando to make up the signing bonus cost. These two started ranked #57 and #51 respectively. What happened next were these two careers went two totally different directions.

Barbosa.. holy shit I feel really bad for him because if you look at his injuries during his time in the San Fernando farm system, its a bit of a read. Mainly, his knee continually crapped on him severely hampering his much needed development time. By 2041 he was dealt away to Portland not playing a single BBA game for the Bears. Even then his total of 66 BBA games led to him batting .177 with just 6 homeruns. San Fernando obviously had not seen much playoff action since the deal, having a lengthy period where they did not win a playoff series until 2057 (against me..)

Moreno on the other hand, became a consistent .300 hitter and was constantly among the league leaders in hits per season. He became a three time All-Star and a two time diamond glover. In 2052, he helped the Aztec become BBA champions, and even to this day, is still playing at a high level. He may never have been one of the 'top guys' in the league, but his incredible play and his longevity make him one of the most underrated players of All time.

I know it might be unfair to have this on here due to Barbosa's career being derailed due to injuries, but unfortunately injuries are a part of the game, and sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.
Aaron Wharram (356-292)
General Manager of the Vancouver Mounties!
Playoff App: 2056, 2057, 2058

Former GM of the Sydney Sharks! (22-22) (August 2054 - October 2054)

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: 3 of the Most Lopsided trades in BBA history #2 (according to WAR)

Post by BaseClogger » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:32 pm

Those trades of guys right after they’re drafted are always interested. You just did one yourself last season that looks promising.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Rubaboo
BBA GM

Post by Rubaboo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

So the Moreno/Barbosa swap should never have happened. I was busy during the draft at work or something and missed that I was on the clock. I was going to pick Moreno at 25 but got Barbosa with the Auto. Randy had Barbosa at the top of his list and reached out after I whined about getting auto picked. We set up the straight swap. Glad Moreno has worked out like he has for me but San Fernando should get a pass on that one.
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

Rubaboo
BBA GM

Post by Rubaboo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

Also, Brett's Vancouver team in 2027 was really good. He still bitches about losing in the Cartwright to my Omaha team that year. One of my all time favorite seasons.
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

Oh, Kharlamov. Such a hard fall-off.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Knucklehead254
BBA GM

Post by Knucklehead254 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm

Rubaboo wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm
So the Moreno/Barbosa swap should never have happened. I was busy during the draft at work or something and missed that I was on the clock. I was going to pick Moreno at 25 but got Barbosa with the Auto. Randy had Barbosa at the top of his list and reached out after I whined about getting auto picked. We set up the straight swap. Glad Moreno has worked out like he has for me but San Fernando should get a pass on that one.
Ahh ok that's interesting, didn't know that. Thanks for the insight!
Aaron Wharram (356-292)
General Manager of the Vancouver Mounties!
Playoff App: 2056, 2057, 2058

Former GM of the Sydney Sharks! (22-22) (August 2054 - October 2054)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”