2058 – Seven Random Notes While Looking Around

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

2058 – Seven Random Notes While Looking Around

Post by RonCo » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:45 pm

So I’m just sitting here sipping a little bourbon and taking a few minutes after a fairly long day to just poke around an see what I see. I thought, you know, Ron, you should jot down your thoughts here and make it a bit of a feature. What the hell, right? I mean, it’s a Sean Marko inspired night. Why not make four points of it?

So here we are.

Jotting down notes.

Note #1:

I have decided that I really, really want Hugh Mangrowthormone to retire, like RIGHT NOW. The guy’s 37, right? And he came back after a four season lay-off to register 43 hits and 19 homers with Portland last year. That .214 average and .224 OBP, though. Holy crap that smelled. But, you see, I don’t want him to retire due to some kind of hatred of vendetta. No. Poking around, I want him to retire RIGHT NOW because if he does so, he’ll go out with a perfect 666 career hits in his BBA/GBC career. That’s right. 666.

I really can’t think of anything better.

Please, Commish.

I beseech thee.

Get the hence and retire the man before someone splurges on him again.

Note #2

After a big run in 2057. The Pacific’s Long Beach Surfers are 15-16 so far this year. Same thing for Mexico City in the Frontier. The amazing thing here is not the particular fall from grace of either team. It’s way too early in the season for that. The thing to note is that at 15-16, Mexico City is tied for 6th place in the Frontier. And Long Beach is 7th in the Pacific.

Seriously.

Seventh place. 15-16.

These two divisions are bloodbaths.

I think I like this new schedule.

Note #3

There’s still 34 teenagers left in the IFA pool. That means that at present 95 kids have been signed. If my accounting is right, the league has spent $137,122,820 on these guys.

Tell me again that this process isn’t a huge part of the BBA infrastructure.

That said, I ponder how much of that it “new flashy thing” syndrome. We didn’t have the process for two seasons (I think). Now suddenly folks are flashing cash at teenagers in ways that make me reminisce about the Genius and his NSFW, completely politically incorrect recruiting trips to South America.

Those were the days, my friend. Those were the days.

Note #4

Sacramento’s Unem Ploid is OBPing .461. I could be wrong, but that seems pretty good.

Note #5

As Matt noted on Discord, Vegas star Helmut Grun has fractured his foot and will be out for something like five more weeks at least. What makes this interesting is that he also completed a 27-game hitting streak earlier this year. Sacramento’s Yuu Suzuki is at 26, right behind him.

Grun also had a 34 game On Base Streak ended this year, but that’s second to an astounding 40-game On Base Streak by Mexico City’s Zhi-fu Huang.

The longest on-going hitting streak right now is a 14-game stint by Chicago’s Candranibha Saswata. Saswata is a 31-year-old journeyman. He’s bounced around a bunch of teams since starting in Nashville, but he’s hit in every one of the 12 games he’s played in since being signed by Chicago in late April.

Note #6

At his current pace, Nashville’s Brooks Elliot projects to 261 hits this season. If he manages it, that would be a record-setting number, barely eeking out Hall of Famer Dennis French’s 260 hits in 2041. Behind him is Dusty Rhodes, another Hall of Famer, though not one without controversy.

Yeah, it’s early. But ya gotta do it early if you wanna do it late, right?

Note #7

My favorite entry in the All-time Leader boards might well be this one:
Davis Birch 66 1985 Season Caught Stealing This guy has to be a great speaker at, like, local award banquets and other such outings, right? I see him like a Bob Uecker kind of speaker.

Here’s a good Uecker quote: “Hey, I think it's easy for guys to hit .300 and stay in the big leagues. Hit .200 and try to stick around as long as I did; I think it's a much greater accomplishment. That's hard.”

And another one: “I hope the fans have enjoyed listening as much as I've enjoyed doing the games. I don't ever go to the park where I don't have a good day. I don't like losing. But I don't think I ever go to the park where I have a bad day.”

I like Bob Uecker. Maybe I’ll invite Davis Birch to address my Bikini Krill at the post-season dinner. The guy is 101 years old now. Fun fact: those 66 Caught Stealings represent exactly 75% of his career total. That’s right. The man played BBA baseball for 19 seasons. He stole 29 bases and got caught 88 times. Sixty-six of those caught stealings happened in that fateful 1985 season.

So fun.

There we have them. Seven notes. I'd go further, but it's time for a top-off on the sippin' bourbon.

It was kinda fun, to be honest.

And more important, Sean. It was just under 2 notes per point!
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: 2058 – Seven Random Notes While Looking Around

Post by Dington » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:17 am

My favorite thing about Eliot’s hit parade is he’s doing it primarily in the 9 hole.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

mragland
Ex-GM

Post by mragland » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:24 am

About those 1985 Davis Birch stats...

http://montybrewster.net/forums/viewtop ... ch#p226966
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/2047 - 11/06/2058)
1005-974 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:01 am

Don't rain on my parade. :)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:41 pm

Bikini has the 2nd best Run Differential in the Frick League!!
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:54 pm

I guess I need to go sign HGH again. Then he can flood me with trade requests like Wilson Andrade does you!
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50