Weiner's Top Ten In The 2051 BBA Amateur Draft

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
aaronweiner
BBA GM

Weiner's Top Ten In The 2051 BBA Amateur Draft

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:11 pm

Here's how this is going to go: I give you what I think is my top ten players and justify a little bit. I also give you my last three cuts from the list; that makes it kind of a top 13.

Disclaimer: just because I think this is the top ten doesn't make it the top ten. Someone from Round 8 will probably become a superstar in this draft and blow the draft board away. I haven’t considered the team fit of the teams actually picking at those spots at all; this is a pure value judgment, though I will mention the fit of the players where they were drafted. I'm never going to do the whole first round; putting them in order would be a sort of arduous, annoying process that's way too open to silly nitpicking (you really had that guy at 22 instead of 24?). I'm only doing this after the first round (or after my whole list is taken) so as not to influence anyone's selections (also I don’t want you stealing my guy). Do not use as a waffle iron.

===================================================================

Weiner's Top Ten

Number 1: Apparently 1B Felix Ramos

Yup. Next.

Actual #1: Ramos

Number 2: Emilio Morales, Jr.

Morales is the first place where it could have deviated, because he’s a long-term prospect and there were more direct players. But there’s no REALLY good reason to do that unless your team improved dramatically. He might end up playing first base, but he could also do that, especially based on recent drafts.

Actual #2: Morales

Number 3: Jerry Stone

I wish I had money so I could pay for Stone. But I don’t, so #5, here I come. Stone is comparable to #1 overalls from previous drafts and comes largely developed, though he’s got some work to do. It’s not a huge difference, but mostly it’s because the next guy on my list isn’t ABSOLUTELY a starting pitcher.

Actual #3: Tim Redmon

Number 4: Quinton Manning

Manning is not my kind of starting pitcher. He’s a workhorse #3 starter type who only gets better than that if he gains velocity, but if he gains a lot of velocity he might be the best pitcher in the draft. High ceiling AND high floor? Sign me up. Manning was my last cut before picking Stone.

Actual #4: Jerry Stone

Number 5: Harley Phillips

Phillips isn’t 100% a starting pitcher; his stamina is just okay and his third pitch is a mediocre changeup. But I’m not turning down a 100% developed player who’s way cheaper than the high schoolers you’ll see on this list later, despite the ceiling issue.

Actual #5: Phillips

Number 6: Edmond Thomas

San Antonio had a pretty good draft by my rankings: they took Manning and Thomas 7 and 10 and I have them 4 and 6. Thomas over some others because of his exceptionally high floor.

Actual #6: Ken Gonzalez

Number 7: Cisco Medrano

In my mind’s eye, Medrano has this crazy ceiling. He’s 16 years old and throws 97, and he’d definitely benefit from velocity increases. If he gets all the way up this guy’s a #1 starter. I like that his control’s already BBA average and that he’s got a lot of his stuff already. He was also insanely expensive and has an injury history, so #7.

Actual #7: Quinton Manning

Number 8: John Raikes

Raikes is up here because of two reasons. #1: I think he’s the best reliever in this draft, and it’s not really all that close. #2: He’s 17 years old, already throws 98, and has a ton of stamina. He’s a good candidate for a starter conversion, which might be pretty good as is and could be really good if he naturally gained more velocity.

Actual #8: Adrian Fox

Number 9: Aaron Stevens

Long Beach appears ready to let Stevens go to college, which isn’t really a mistake given their financial issues and his outrageous demands. I also have some doubts about him gaining more velocity, as he’s a cutter-curveball-forkball. But I also think that Stevens has some advantages: he’s definitely convertible into a reliever, he’s durable, and he’s just 17 so maybe he does gain some velocity naturally. This isn’t a signability seminar.

Actual #9: Cisco Medrano

Number 10: Jesse Holman

Underrated. A nice pick at #15 going against the grain and I think he’s even better than that, in this draft at least. Holman’s not going to be terrible defensively, he has a good arm, he’s fully developed and he’s a switch-hitting catcher who should make good contact and hit doubles. If he bumps a little he could be really good.

Actual #10: Edmond Thomas.

===================================================================

Last three cut, in no particular order: Joe Mother, Victor Mueller, Alejandro Mendoza.

Biggest snub: Redmon, who I'd have let someone else draft.

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: Weiner's Top Ten In The 2051 BBA Amateur Draft

Post by CTBrewCrew » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:34 pm

Damn my Weiner just missed the cut 😜. Pick #24 potential top 13.

Good stuff as always Aaron. 👍🏻

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:53 am

CTBrewCrew wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:34 pm
Damn my Weiner just missed the cut 😜. Pick #24 potential top 13.

Good stuff as always Aaron. 👍🏻
I think you should be very happy about the first part. And the second part. But not if it's in two parts.

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:39 pm

Lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”