Trade Delay Blamed on "Technical" Issues - But We Have the True Story

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
tylertoo
Ex-GM

Trade Delay Blamed on "Technical" Issues - But We Have the True Story

Post by tylertoo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:03 pm

(League Headquarters) -- Just prior to the exciting 2050 Brewster Association All-Star Game, Rockville and Chicago announced a trade that seemed fairly routine: the contending Pikemen acquired second baseman Rocky Wattson, with two prospects heading to the rebuilding Black Sox organization in return.

Problem was: the trade was never formally processed by the League Office. After learning of the delay, the GMs of the respective teams, Jim Slade of Rockville and Mike Dunn of Chicago, reached out to see if there was a problem that would negate the deal. The response from Brewster HQ was that a minor "technical snafu" had held up processing, and the transaction would proceed.

Actual surveillance video of Commissioner
However, your intrepid reporters have learned the truth. According to various sources, the Commissioner of the Brewster, Matt Rectenwald, had gotten shit-faced drunk at several pre- and post-game parties during All Star Weekend. "Truth is, we went looking for Matt to sign off on the deal," said one top league official. "We looked all over the freakin' place, but his bar hopping was too much to keep up with."

The sources say when the Commissioner was finally located, asleep in beer slop in a dive bar, they could not even get him to hold the pen to sign the transaction paperwork. "So we figured we'd just delay the deal. No biggie."

The trade -- once it actually happens -- will be a biggie for Rockville, since the team coincidentally just lost 2B Heng-zong Guan for five weeks with a fractured rib. Wattson, meanwhile, made the most of his extended stay in Chicago, the only organization he has ever known. Those extra three games as a Black Sox brought the following stat line:

11 AB, 5 H, 2 HR, 6 RBI, .455 AVG, 1.636 OPS

Slade likely hopes Wattson continues that torrid hitting when he finally arrives in his new home town!

The incident overshadowed the All-Star Game itself, in which the Frick League topped the Johnson League 5-2, proving once and for all the vast superiority of the Frick.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Trade Delay Blamed on "Technical" Issues - But We Have the True Story

Post by recte44 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:31 pm

Fantastic!

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:34 pm

That's some hard-hitting journalism - and double-fisted drinking!

I should have checked Wattson's adaptability ratings. What if he takes 5 sims to assimilate into his new surroundings? (In my other league, there's a guy who actually assesses that quality before making deadline deals. Maybe others do this too, but it still makes me chuckle.)
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:54 pm

Ha! Love it! You beat me to the press…. I was gonna write up a TN on how my guys “IL” paperwork was delayed due a different kid of bug… fallout from the computer issues the league offices suffered last week 😄

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:56 pm

Man we gotta get a hold on these ASG extra curricular activities… back to back seasons now 🤔

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”