Monday Night Baseball | Week 22 | Hawaii at Vancouver (49:18)

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
mragland
BBA GM

Monday Night Baseball | Week 22 | Hawaii at Vancouver (49:18)

Post by mragland » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:20 am

Image at Image

Play of the game, broadcast transcript. Fredo Torres, play-by-play announcer, with commentary by Bob Burke.

[start]

Fredo: Free baseball here in Vancouver. The Mounties will be calling on reliever Hani Goddard here in the top of the tenth inning. Goddard a native of the Cook Islands, population around nineteen thousand. Teammates say that Goddard is on island time all the time. I expect that the pressure of the situation isn't getting to him at all, Bob.

Bob: Goddard had been starting in the Mounties' minor league system, but they've put him in the pen for the big league club as he gets his feet wet in the majors. They have to be encouraged by the results he's gotten for them, a 1.83 ERA in 66 appearances for them. He's got an effective cut fastball that he throws very hard and which pairs well with a plus-plus changeup. He'll also mix in the odd slider, splitter, and even a screwball. We'll likely see him starting games next season, that is, if Vancouver doesn't decide that they like him so well out of the bullpen that they keep him there.

Fredo: The 7-8-9 hitters coming up for the Tropics. Leading off this inning will be Bronx Cortez. Hong-Vu Sam is on deck. Cortez hitting just .202 this season, but always a threat to go deep. He leads the club in home runs with 24. Second place has 9. Not a lot of thump in this lineup. First pitch to Cortez is at the knees and a called strike one.

Bob: Bronx is a New York native. Guess which borough he grew up in?

Fredo: I feel like this is a trick question. I'm going to guess The Bronx?

Bob: Staten Island.

Fredo: Really?

Bob: That's what my sheet says.

Fredo: The 0-1 pitch from the Cook Islands native to the alleged Staten Island native is swung on and missed for strike two.

Bob: Goddard getting a lot swing and misses on the cutter, as you just saw.

Fredo: So both Cortez brothers grew up on Staten Island?

Bob: Parents both grew up in The Bronx, but moved to Staten Island before Little Bron was born.

Fredo: According to your sheet.

Bob: Are you calling Theo a liar, Fredo?

Fredo: Theo Cooper is our researcher, and no, I'm not calling him a liar, though I would like confirmation. The 0-2 offering is outside for a ball. Goddard not a fast worker on the mound. Hopefully we'll get out of here before this becomes Tuesday Morning Baseball.

Bob: So, which island did Goddard grow up on?

Fredo: Let's see. There are fifteen major islands in the Cook Islands, in two different chains known as the Northern Cook Islands and Southern Cook Islands. Goddard grew up on what you might call the main island, Rarotonga. And here's the 1-2. Strike three looking.

Bob: Froze him there with the offspeed pitch. No chance.

Fredo: Sam steps in now. The designated hitter. One for three with a double back in the eighth.

Bob: If your DH has an OPS of .638, your team might be in trouble offensively.

Fredo: In his first year of big league ball, is Sam. Goddard gets his sign and the first pitch is on the way. And that ball is crushed! No doubt about this one as it sails over the center field wall. Sam notches is sixth home run of the season and gives his team the lead.

[end]

The Tropics would allow no runs in the bottom of the tenth, and win this game 3-2.
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/47 - present)
925-891 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

Return to “League Features”