Monday Night Baseball | Week 3 | Louisville at Nashville (49:7)

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
mragland
BBA GM

Monday Night Baseball | Week 3 | Louisville at Nashville (49:7)

Post by mragland » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:41 pm

Image at Image

Broadcast transcript, postgame comments. Fredo Torres, play-by-play announcer, with commentary by Bob Burke and Susan Price. Nashville won the game 9-2.

[start]

Fredo : It's the Monday Night Baseball Postgame Show. Bob, I know you have thoughts on this one, so I'm just going to get out of your way here.

Bob : Thanks, Fredo. Tonight we saw two very good starting pitchers, but one of them just didn't have it. Jorge Díaz had a great rookie season, finishing second in the Gillstrom voting, but he didn't look like himself in this game. We saw him hanging sliders, missing his spots, and getting pummeled, and when he doesn't have the slider working, the opposing hitter's job gets real simple in terms of approach. Sometimes it's just not your day. I don't doubt that Díaz and his battery mate Ben Scott, were trying their hardest to get things back on track, but like I said, it wasn't his day. It's the manager's job to put his players in a position to succeed, but tonight António García did just the opposite, and left his starter out to dry. García's a former catcher and had to have known what he was looking at. Díaz had loaded the bases in the third, but got out that jam with a strikeout of Garrison. It took him 25 pitches to get out of that inning alone. At this point, a pitcher is going one of two ways. Either he settles back in and finds his groove, or he continues to get rocked. I don't blame García for sending him back out in the fourth. I'll wager most, if not all, managers would do the same. But look at the at-bats in the fourth inning. Fly out, double, single, single, double, strike out, double, ground out. Four hits in a row, four runs scored. It looked brutal. How did it look to you down on the field, Susan?

Susan : Not great, Bob. It looked in the third like Díaz had lost his feel for the zone, walking McNeill on four pitches and Viramontas in five. This was a guy who had a very good walk rate last season, 1.86. He looked like he needed couple more weeks of spring ball. The fourth was just as bad, though in a different way.

Fredo : So, Díaz got lit up in the fourth and came back out in the fifth.

Bob : And this is where I find fault with the manager. Two innings in a row things have been very rough, but your team is still in the game. Just a three run deficit and you have one of the most potent lineups in the game. You can play your way back in it, but you send the guy back out who has clearly been struggling.

Fredo : And I remember you said at the time that García should have had the quickest of hooks.

Bob : Right. Should have pulled him as soon as the Bluebirds got a man on base, which they did with the first at-bat. So here's the sequence in the fifth inning: single, four-pitch walk, hit batter. That loads the bases with no outs, and the manager still leaves the starter in there to face Lock. What has García seen at this point that suggests that his starter is going to get out of this? I just don't understand it. Anyway, Lock sends a 2-0 fastball into the Cumberland River, to the surprise of no one. It's eight to one and the game is now well out of hand.

Fredo : As it happened, the Sluggers didn't have four runs in them in this game, even if they had shut down Nashville after the fourth, as they could only push across two. Barney Lindsay, last year's Nebraska winner, was brilliant, allowing just one run in six and two-thirds, striking out eleven and walking two. He'll have to make room in the trophy case if he keeps this up. We'll hear from the two managers when we come back from the break. Stay tuned.

[end]
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/47 - present)
925-891 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Monday Night Baseball | Week 3 | Louisville at Nashville (49:7)

Post by Dington » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:56 pm

Well this one was certainly my favorite Monday Night Baseball this far.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: Monday Night Baseball | Week 3 | Louisville at Nashville (49:7)

Post by CTBrewCrew » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:03 pm

Battle of the birds….

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”