Hitting a (Radial) Nerve

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
jleddy
Ex-GM

Hitting a (Radial) Nerve

Post by jleddy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:09 am

Inspired to post some earlier research I did last week after the most recent wonderful BBA Today episode, here's some quick and dirty analysis on radial nerve decompression injuries, the unfortunate ailment that has struck down young James Browning and possibly the Louisville Sluggers' quest for a three-peat.

I went back and gleaned the last twenty pitchers* who suffered the injury and looked at what happened to their ratings when they returned from the injury and a year after returning, comparing it to their ratings at the time of their injury. *One of the injuries happened to an offensive player, so he was not included and the data set is the last 19 radial nerve compression surgeries to pitchers.

Here is the data, which is too big to post a screenshot:
RNCS analysis.xlsx
(21.81 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Findings:
  • Skills-wise, seven pitchers (37%) saw a drop in ratings when returning from surgery, while twelve (63%) did not see an initial skills rating drop, including five who experienced bumps. Ratings are volatile, so it could have just been the natural ebb and flow of ratings at the time of the snapshot. Fast-forward to a year after recovery (or anywhere from 16-21 months from the time of the injury), ten pitchers* (59%) saw a drop in ratings from their initial skills while seven pitchers (41%) did not see a drop. *Two of the nineteen pitcher have not yet reached a year since their return.
  • Potential overall ratings-wise, twelve pitchers (63%) saw scouts lower their potential overall ratings when returning from surgery, while seven (37%) did not see an initial potential overall ratings drop, with just one pitcher experiencing a bump. Fast-forward to a year after recovery, thirteen pitchers* (76%) saw a drop in potential overall ratings while four pitchers (24%) did not see a drop. *Two of the nineteen pitcher have not yet reached a year since their return.
  • Velocity went virtual unchanged post-surgery.
  • Several pitchers were starters at the time of the injury but became relievers afterwards. Was it due to stamina drops (see Carson Stoller)? Finding stamina ratings would admittedly take a little extra work, but it might be worth looking at.
  • Unfortunately for Browning and Louisville, we've never seen a pitcher of Browning's ability have to come back from this injury, however some notable names are on the list: Manuel Orozco (injury in 2039), Carson Stoller (2037) and Ken Bates (2036). For the most part, Bates was the only one to stay relatively the same pitcher a few years later, however all three pitchers are still pitching in the Brewster today.
  • Naturally, it seems younger pitchers tend to ward off lumping ratings better than pitchers 28 and up, so this does bode well for Browning.
  • While not noted in the spreadsheet, I would say 33-50% of the pitchers had injury ratings of Fragile or Wrecked. While we don't know if those health ratings were that way before the injury, it's something to note.
Conclusion: I think -- and hope -- Browning is going to be okay from a skills standpoint for the next two or three years, but beyond that, it could turn sour based on this analysis. I would not be surprised to see his stamina (currently 8) drop down a figure or two in the next three years. The biggest issue for Browning in general is his health rating and extensive history of arm injuries (three shoulder, two elbow and two other arm injuries, not to mention multiple back, ankle and blister maladies as well)

"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Hitting a (Radial) Nerve

Post by Dington » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:47 am

Ya hate to see it, even as a Heartland competitor. Great work.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”