Makeover Monday #12 - San Antonio Outlaws

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Makeover Monday #12 - San Antonio Outlaws

Post by CTBrewCrew » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:35 pm

Welcome to week 12 of Makeover Mondays. Where its now 2x in a row I drop a Makeover Monday on an actual Monday. For makeover #12, we move back to the BBA, and to the San Antonio Outlaws.

Founded in 1973 as the Birmingham Bandits, where it took them only 5 seasons to win their first division title. Over their 71 years of existence, they have had nine GMS, of which the current GM (Mike C) has been at the helm for 38 seasons. It was Calvaruso that moved the team in 2030 to San Antonio, into what was the Johnson Southern Division at the time. During their 71 year history the club has amassed over 5300 wins, and they post a .480 winning percentage. They have made 14 playoff appearances, have 6 division titles, have made the Landis 6 times, and have brought home 3 championships. Now onto the reason we are all really here, their look.

Let’s take a look at the old one.

Lets start off by saying, I like the logo, its a skull wearing a black cowboy hat and and bandit mask. Simple, but it doesn't really have a "baseball" feel to it. It kind of reminds me of chewing tobacco skoal bandit feel to it. Might have been while a lot of this was going on at the ballpark in San Antonio...

For those of you playing along at home, I'll Explain the rules again...

The Makeover had to meet these 3 criteria.
  • First, incorporate something into the new logo that has a baseball theme.
  • Second, use the teams existing color / uniform palette w/in the new look when at all possible.
  • Third, try to maintain a connection to the team’s history.
My design style is pretty simple. If the logo looks good in black and white, you have a good logo. Second, I’m a big believer in less is more when it comes to colors for unis and logos. Some of my favorite sports logos have this look. (I’ll leave my two fav sports teams off) - <wink>. If you look at the Raiders, Packers, and Colts in the NFL, each has two colors or 3 colors in their primary designs. The Yankees, Dodgers, and yes, even the Red Menace themselves, the St. Louis Cardinals. All have what I consider a classic logos / color scheme. I could go on, but just note, I am a card-carrying member of Uni-Watch 😉 and could talk about this for hours.

Any-who, with-out further ado… your 2043 Makeover Monday San Antonio Outlaws

Whenever I think of San Antonio, I think of one of my favorite leagues back in the 1980s, the USFL. One team in there was the San Antonio Gunslingers. As you can see in the new Makeover Monday version of the Outlaws brand, I decided to change their in-game colors / theme to be "USFL Gunslinger" themed. using Silver, Blue, and Green. My feature my rules ;).

The new design stays true to the teams name, but gives an updated look to their "Outlaw" by giving him more of a baseball feel, now swinging a baseball bat, and sitting on-top of a home plate. The teams font was updated also for more of a Texas/Outlaw type feel, with the shadow of a Texas sunset across the wordmark.

Now on to their Hats & Uniforms

Hats: -- They had one hat in-game, used for both home and away. Bi-colored hat. Red side panels with a white brim, and a red bill. The current bandit logo on the front.

New: -- Changed the hat up to be in-line with new team colors. Its now Green, with a Blue brim and the updated logo on the bill.

Home Uni: -- A white jersey with a thick red-and-white v-neck collar, red undershirt and collar. The teams nickname in current team font, spread out diagonally on the front of the jersey, with a different color O in the wordmark. Don't know why this is, but its not used in any other branding aspect of the current team.

New: -- Its now a cream colored jersey, with the teams wordmark in updated blue/green font across the chest with larger O and S letters. It has thin green piping on the jersey, and green and white sleeve stripes. The undershirt and collar are both team green. The right sleeve dons the teams updated brand, and on the left sleeve, as any good team from Texas should have, the Texas state flag.

Old:

Road Uni: -- Wow! I hope San Antonio's fans are color blind, because there is a lot of red going on here, and YES, the v-neck collar is back!!! The teams name is now spelled out in a arched format with no differentiating "O". Outlaws fans I ask you, What is best in life?!...and a really RED jersey (that was in the special edition directors cut laser disc edition).

New: -- Its a updated to now be a soft grey jersey, with green piping down the front, with reversed blue and white
stripes on the sleeves. The undershirt and collar are now green. It has the city name in team font across the chest, with the teams new logo on the left sleeve, and the state of Texas flag on the right.

Hats will be available soon in the BBA Shop

Enjoy!

Up next Mystery Team.....oooooo #13

bigmike13
Ex-GM

Re: Makeover Monday #12 - San Antonio Outlaws

Post by bigmike13 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:12 pm

LOVE IT!
Mike Calvaruso
San Antonio Outlaws 2030 -
Birmingham Bandits 2006-2029

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:33 pm

This is one where I like the old school look with the old one and wouldnt really mess with it too much.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:15 pm

I like the logo.

As a Texan, it would have been good to see the Alamo in there somewhere.
ImageImageImageImageImage

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Pee Wees bike is in the basement!

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:53 pm

Texas flag on the arm is a nice touch. I have something with the MD flag on the sleeve of our jerseys.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:50 am

I don’t know? The figure is great but the writing all seems to merge into the grey background. I think a better, more contrasting set of colours, would improve it no end. I’ve always been a fan of high contrast colours that really stand out
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

HerbD
Ex-GM

Post by HerbD » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:58 am

I'm a big fan of the old logo myself
Montreal Blazers(BBA) 2044~2047(353-295, .545 W%)
2045 Wildcard(lost in one round)
2046 Atlantic Champs(lost in one round)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”