Kel Miper's 2043 Draft Review - Heartland Division

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Kel Miper's 2043 Draft Review - Heartland Division

Post by CTBrewCrew » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:54 am

Kel Miper here, resident self-proclaimed undisputed Brewster-verse draft guru. Since I've finished playing WoW for a while, I've decided to work on my second favorite pastime, <Pauses...MOM MEATLOAF NOW!>, and that's assigning arbitrary grades to professional sports drafts. Residing in the Baltimore area, you might think I'd be a Charm City fan, however my favorite player as a child was Hawaii's LF - Angel Perez. I remember my Dad taking me to a game in Hawaii when we were on vacation, and I fell onto the field during batting practice, and there was good ol' Angel to pick me up. 'll never forget the date. It was 8/23/2020, the day he started his 2 game hitting streak. I stayed after the game, and he signed his baseball card for me. I still have it hanging in my office/mom's basement to this day.

In my review of this draft, I will take a look at each teams first round pick, their biggest sleeper pick (10th or > Round), and then issue an overall grade.

Up First, the best division in the Brewster-verse, the Heartland.

Madison
First Round Pick - 23yo College P John O'Corgley - Picking at #10 in the draft they got the #2 SP left on "Kel's Big Board". The team past on Boaty McBoatface (8/5/5) who was #1 best available P on my boards when Madison picked. He looks to top out at 7/6/3 on my projections. He's a lefty though, something Madison desperately needs in its system, and perhaps the rumors of Boaty not wanting to play in Madison, could be part of the reason.

Sleeper Pick - 13th round pick Neal Smit. The kid legally changed his last name to remove the "H". Don't know why, but Kel loves this kids gumption. He is a 6/2/4 potential SP, with a 3 pitches being rated over 7. (Fastball 7, Curveball 9 & a Screwball at 7). He's worth a watch for a 13th round pick.

Overall Grade - C. Nothing really spectacular in this draft, no real studs >70 - just a draft of backups and role/filler players. Perhaps they get 2 full time starters from this draft.

Des Moines
First Round Pick - 18yo - HS CF - Chris McFadden. Picking at #5 in the draft, the Kernals got "Kels" #1 OF on the board. He's got 9/9/5/6/9 potential in the bigs. Kel projects him at a 60/65 rating in the BBA. The Kernals drafted for need here as they don't have a top 100 position player rated in the Brewster. McFadden will quickly become their #1 CF prospect over current AAA player Dave Dempsey.

Sleeper Pick - 18th Round - P - Kevin Campbell. OSA scouts have him at a potential 7/2/4 with a potential 9/9 fastball / slider combo topping out at 100mph. The "Mipe-ster" has him surprising a few folks, or he could be washed out in 2 seasons. <MA MORE MEATLOAF!!!>.

Overall Grade - C. They get the top OF prospect on the big board, but round 3 on, it was just all auto-draft by the draft-bot 2000.

Chicago
First Round Pick - 18yo HS - LF - Lee Stone. With the 18th pick in round 1 the Black Sox got themselves a good one. Looking to top out at 7/7/7/6/7 this kid (if he signs) will fill a need for the Black Sox in the future, as the Black Sox have no LF's in the top 30 of their org. Kel has him topping out at around a solid 55 rating. He will definitely need to improve his defensive skills, but he should be able to handle the offensive side of the game well enough. If his skills with the glove improve, he could be bumped to a 60.

Sleeper Pick - 13th Round - CF - Kade Methven. A sure handed reliable center fielder (8/7/9). He has good speed (9/9/6), and should find his way to a bench role / 4th outfielder for Chicago. Not a bad pickup in the 13th round.

Overall Grade - B minus - They may have found 3 legitimate BBA contributors in the first 3 rounds, in Stone, Pratt, and Winters.

Nashville
First Round Pick - 18yo HS - P - Bhu Zapanta. Picking at #22 in the first round, you need to make sure you don't miss, and this kid has all the tools to have a lengthy career in the BBA if he can hold off the injury bug. Projecting out at a (6/6/6), with a 3 pitch repertoire includes and excellent splitter, a curveball that will make good hitters miss, and a decent fastball. Kel, projects him to be in a bullpen role when he gets to the BBA. He was Kels #13 rated pitcher on my board, a good pickup at #22.

Sleeper Pick - 19th Round - P - Dagne Kipketer - Dagne as a projects to have a plus fastball and curveball (8/8), with a (6) sinker that give him good depth. If he works hard enough he could find his way as a rotational bullpen arm for the Bluebirds sometime in the future.

Overall Grade - B - With well thought out picks in rounds 1-8, Kel sees the Bluebirds getting a few starters and contributing role players from this draft.

Yellow Springs
First Round Pick - 23yo College C - Alastair Hall. Drafted #33 overall, This was Kels #2 C rated on my Big Board. This kid would have been gone early in Round 2 if Yellow Springs did not select him. With current their curten top rated Catcher already in the bigs (21yo Bruce McKinley), Hall should get the time and reps he needs to develop in the minors.

Sleeper Pick - 11th Round - P Clyde Garrison - This NJ Native HS Closer already had some nice developed Pitches (7 fastball & 8 curveball), with in-progress change-up. Currently a 5/2/3 rated, as will all Yellow Springs draftees, they will have the time they need to develop there skills in the minors to be ready when called upon to help out the mother ship.

Overall Grade - B +. With all but 3 picks selected by the Draft-Bot-2000, this teams front office continues to build quality depth, and seems to have a constant pool of talent to replace higher priced vets.

Louisville
First Round Pick - 18yo - HS LF - Scotty Beemeup - God Dammit Jim, I'm a self-proclaimed Draft Guru, not a doctor!. This kids got all the intangibles, he tested off the charts for Leadership, Loyalty, Intelligence, and Work Ethic. He wants to major in Engineering at Microsoft X-Sox college. It will be interesting what Louisville needs to throw at this kid to get him to sign. Kel's got him topping out at a 50/55 rating. He has all the qualities of a solid defensive outfielder, but he needs some time to develop his hitting skills. Does he do that in the Sluggers minor league system, or in College is the only question.

Sleeper Pick - 10th Round 10 - P - Mike Hatcher - Hatcher is an 18yo who hails from Ooooo.....klahoma.., where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain, and the wavin' wheat, can sure smell sweet, when the wind comes right behind the rain... sorry about that. Kel LOVES his showtunes! Kel says the kid will peak at about 30/40 potential, and he will need time in the minors to figure things out. He needs to improve on his below average stuff, projected at a (4/5/6). But with a fastball. splitter, changeup combo he's worth a shot.

Overall Grade - B+. Shockingly this teams front office usually loves the draft from all the BBA Podcasts that Kel has listened to. But something happened and the front office went dark after round 4, and left it up to the draft-bot 2000. Still they had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.
They did take SS Steve Herbert (#3 on Kels Big Board of SS) with their second first round pick, and (10 rated slider) CL - Joe Sims in Round 2, and a 10 rated Knuckleballer Ken Lee with their second pick in Round 2. If Beemeup signs, its a B+, if he doesn't B minus.

Twin Cities
First Round Pick - 18yo - HS C - Davenport "Rotten Tooth" Hinkle. Rated #1 on Kel's big board of Catchers, this is a huge specimen of a man-boy. At 18 he is 6-3 and 253lbs. Kel can't confirm but its rumored that he ate his twin in the womb. He's got both the defensive skills and offensive firepower to be a impact player for the River Monsters. (8/7) behind the dish and a (6/5/8/4/5) potential at the plate. He instantly becomes this teams #1 C prospect, surpassing their current three Catchers in AAA. Interesting pick, choosing Hinkle at a position of strength for the River Monsters, they currently have two high quality players in the bigs splitting time with former Round 2 selection in 2037, 25yo Parker Davenport and fellow 22yo first round selection in 2039 Joe Bradshaw

Sleeper Pick - 22yo - College P - Manny Mendoza - Hailing from San Jose Costa Rica he grew up idolizing BBA HOF Alfredo Martinez (class or '42). Costa Rica's first professional HOFer. He has a four pitch repertoire which includes a changeup, forkball, fastball, and slider. He will need to develop some in the minors before he could get the call. Kel has him at a potential 35/40 relief pitcher. Its life in the BBA bullpen for this one.

Overall Grade - C. Trailing only Madison in the number of pitchers selected in this draft with 9 (vs 11 for Madison), There is a lot of spray-and-pray philosophy when it came to selecting pitchers. They will need a few of these lower round guys to produce (at even the low end) in Twin Cities for this draft to be considered a success. With the news of injuries reeking havoc in the River Monsters minor leagues, some of these guys should be able to see significant action right away.

Omaha

First Round Pick - 18yo - HS 2B - Gehrig Jelinowicz - The rebranded Cyclones got Kel's #1 2B off my big board. Kel, likes him better than Coy Skinner, as Gherig is a better defender. The "G-Man", already has some good range at 6. He's smart on the base paths, even though he doesn't have eye-popping speed. He will provide above average defense for the Cyclones, and should mature enough at the plate to good contact hitter. Perhaps a few ASG appearances for this kid down the line. Kel has G-Man topping out at around a 55 overall. They got a good player at a position of need in their system, as they currently do not have a 2B currently in their top 30.

Sleeper Pick - 20th Round - P - John Oliver. What the hey, this guy plays for Kel's favorite breakfast cereal! And why not with the last player reviewed lets take a real longshot. Oliver's a 21yo lefty that hales from LA, and word on the street is he has some very raw untapped potential. He's got some good potential his 3 pitch repertoire, but is really lacking in his Stuff , Movement, and Control. Being a flyball pitcher in Omaha isn't a good look either. Nobody is giving this kid a chance to even make it to AAA. Kel says "F-Em Kid"! Lets see what he can do.

Overall Grade - C. Mel sees only 2 BBA future starters from this draft, Gehrig and their supplemental 2nd rounder midshipman - Jose Garcia.

Well that's all for this review....back to some WoW & Mountain Dew.
Last edited by CTBrewCrew on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bcslouck
BBA GM

Re: Kel Miper's 2043 Draft Review - Heartland Division

Post by bcslouck » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:12 am

I just started reading but like what I see. I don't even know if McBoatface will sign with me. I didn't check.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”