One of a Kind BBA Baseball Card Sells for Record Price

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

One of a Kind BBA Baseball Card Sells for Record Price

Post by RonCo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:13 pm

On a record setting night at the 2043 Goldin Great North American Trading Card Auction last night—a night that included a crinkled rookie card of Voo Fowler going for $908 and six ancient postage stamps with Betty Boop on them—perhaps the most remarkable moment of the night occurred when 13-year-old Abe “Moon-burn” Mantila revealed a prize of such unique merit as to draw $4.2M in open auction, a new record for trading card insanity.

“I knew its history when I found it in my sister’s collection of stupid TV shows,” Mantila said. “The whole pack was unopened. So, I took care of that. The gum was still fresh. But when I found it, my hand started shaking.”

When asked what he was doing searching though his sister’s dresser drawer, Abe turned red and stammered until he had to be taken away.

So, which Hall of Famer was on this card?

Kengos? Nebraska? Hinson or Gillstrom? Could it have been the rare rookie third basemen card that included Diego Moreno, Boone Carlyle, and Tim Parsons that had been printed with each in reverse?

No.

Although not a particularly legendary player, the guy in question is ex-Valencia Star and current Boise Spud pitcher Pepe Hernandez, who had been said to have taken a legendary photo for his card before his rookie on a dare from his teammates while in Valencia—a card that was then quashed by both the team and league officials before it could be released as part of the run. “I can’t say,” Hernandez has replied when asked in the past, which has been often. It seemed a reasonable answer, but conspiracy theorists were quick to note that this is what a player working under a non-disclosure agreement might say.

Now it turns out the conspiracy guys were right.

Pepe_Hernandez_BB_Card.png
Pepe_Hernandez_BB_Card.png (55.34 KiB) Viewed 446 times

The card, which was released as part of Big Bop series Z206 run, was apparently printed one time and only one time by a disgruntled employee who had been supporting the chief photographer at the time of the filming of the cards. “The rest of the team dared him to have his picture taken like he was fielding a come-backer to the nuts,” said Fed Kalinka, the photographer who came to the auction specifically when he heard what had happened. “At first, Hernandez wouldn’t do it, but he’s a rookie, you know, and the team said there would be fines to pay in the Kangaroo Kourt. Apparently the minimum salary only goes so far these days, so eventually he caved in and did it.”

Kalinka said the team had to hit several grounders off Hernandez’s nuts before the picture came out right. “It’s hard to get the timing on a ground ball just right, even with a high-speed camera. To the guy’s credit, he only puked after the last one.”

The prior record was set three years ago when a rare card depicting Manuel Aguilar’s triple crown in fetched $3.8M. On the night, over $9M was spent on trading cards.

“With the popularity of baseball growing around the world, the demand for high-grade vintage cards has really taken off,” said Dave Goldin, “so we expected a good night even before the Nuts Card showed up.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: One of a Kind BBA Baseball Card Sells for Record Price

Post by jleddy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:00 pm

That is awesome! One-time printing...so rare!

So I guess this treasured item from my card collection isn't as valuable as I had hoped...

"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Rubaboo
BBA GM

Post by Rubaboo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:15 am

Just gotta make the giant glove a big cast-iron skillet and you'll be right on.
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:41 pm

I love the story behind the "ball in the nutz" BB card. IRL he used to hand it out to his kids LL team.

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:13 pm

I wish we'd had baseball cards right from the start of the BBA, imagine how many wonderful examples we could now have
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”