Makeover Monday #5 - Mexico City Aztecs

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Makeover Monday #5 - Mexico City Aztecs

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun May 17, 2020 11:05 pm

Welcome to week 5 of Makeover Mondays. Where I finally I drop a Makeover Monday on an actual Monday. For makeover #5, we move over to that OTHER division...the Frontier, and to the Mexico City Aztecs. Home to the freshest Banana Bread in the BBA, Morning Wood, the beloved June-September rain-outs. Also rumored to be home to Brett's secret GM bro-manse.

This is the only non-U.S. based Brewster franchise that is NOT located in America's Hat, or as some of you call it Canada. The team originally started in Omaha as the Barnstormers. They called Omaha home for 60 seasons, and then moved to Mexico City for the clean fresh air, along the promise of limited rainouts back in 2033.

In 70 years, they've had 11 GMs, made 28 playoff appearances, been to 2 Landis games, winning none. The Aztecs have been playing good ball the last few years, looking to make another run at the playoffs again in 2042. You know what else makes me run like a got a little of that "Montezuma's Revenge"? Their current logo.

Let’s take a look at the old one.

Well if we are being honest, it only took me almost a year and half to get their logo correct in my Viz's. What I saw in game was this...

Which in actuality, isn't correct. It was indeed this.... So Fred was either too polite to hurt my feelings, or he never looked at my BBARGOTW league features.
Image The logo is an Aztec chieftain, that looks to have been swallowed but what I can only say is some long lost relative of the
This guy.

For those of you playing along at home, I'll Explain the rules again...

The Makeover had to meet these 3 criteria.
  • First, incorporate something into the new logo that has a baseball theme.
  • Second, use the teams existing color / uniform palette w/in the new look when at all possible.
  • Third, try to maintain a connection to the team’s history.

My design style is pretty simple. If the logo looks good in black and white, you have a good logo. Second, I’m a big believer in less is more when it comes to colors for unis and logos. Some of my favorite sports logos have this look. (I’ll leave my two fav sports teams off) - <wink>. If you look at the Raiders, Packers, and Colts in the NFL, each has two colors or 3 colors in their primary designs. The Yankees, Dodgers, and yes, even the Red Menace themselves, the St. Louis Cardinals. All have what I consider a classic logos / color scheme. I could go on, but just note, I am a card-carrying member of Uni-Watch 😉 and could talk about this for hours.

Any-who, with-out further ado… your 2042 Makeover Monday Mexico City Aztecs

As you can see in the new Makeover Monday version of the Aztecs logo, I stayed with their primary colors of Straw (yes I looked up the hex code name) , Burgundy and Black. I added Turquoise, which after talking to my friend Google, was kinda a big deal color to the Aztecs, who knew!

The logo has the new ruler or "Huey Tlatoani", (thank you again Google) in front of a Aztec Pyramid, with a baseball setting behind it. This sits on a Turquoise circle (see how I did that), with the teams name laid out in new font. The entire thing sits on-top of a piece of Aztec gold, rumored to be just a valuable as the infamous Mexico City Banana Bread (more on that later).

Now on to their Hats & Uniforms

Hats: -- They had two hats, one for home and away. Overall not bad, just mirror opposite color schemes for home vs away. games.

Old Home:

A solid Burnt Orange colored hat, with a Straw colored brim, and a wisp of green on the outer brim, topped off with their current logo.

Old Away:

See above, but just flip-flop the colors...NT big difference...

New:

Again, I nixed the road hat. My feature, my rules. :D. Their updated home/road hat is Black with a Burgundy brim with a updated "Huey Tlatoani" as their logo.

Uniforms: - The Aztecs had the two uniforms in game, one home and one away.

Old Home:

Looking at the current home uniform it looks to be made of a mesh material, something from the 70s, in the teams primary colors, with a FULL 3/4 mesh sleeve and no undershirt. A first in Makeover Mondays! Looking at the font quickly, it looks like the team name says Azteos. The "C" gets lost in the font on that jersey, which could explain the strange chants from the Mexico City crowds during rally's. "GO AZTEOS!!!"

Old Away:

Again, made from your finest 70s polyester mesh material this jersey is laid out in the same style as their home jersey just with some color swaps of the sleeves, and jersey itself. The teams name is spelled out across the chest, in what looks to be a different style font-mark.

New:

I just streamlined the look a bit here. Staying with Straw as the primary jersey color, with burgundy piping on the jersey and sleeves, and undershirt & collar. Yes I removed the full 3/4 look. The teams name is now spelled out legibly in teams new font across the chest. The updated logo is on their right sleeve patch, but wait... what's that on the other sleeve?! Why its a loaf of that world famous Mexico City Banana Bread they serve at Ullamaliztli Field during the rainouts. Mmmmm.

Road Uni:

The road uniform was updated going with a Burgundy jersey color, a Turquoise undershirt, collar and sleeve piping. The teams updated logo is on the right sleeve, and that Ullamaliztli Field Banana Bread is on the left. Mexico City is written in team text across the chest.

But before we move on to next week, here a little known fact about the Mexico City franchise that our crack staff dug up while researching this weeks feature. As some of you may or may not know, Aztec current GM Fred Holmes made his fortunes in the lumber business before taking the job as Mexico City's GM. As an homage to Willie Stargells "Stargell Stars", GM Holmes is known to sneak around club house after games and leave his own version of these in players lockers for a good game or special achievement. We were able to get a hold of one of these, seen here for the first time.

Hats will be available soon in the BBA Shop

Enjoy!

Up next NEW ORLEANS!!

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: Makeover Monday #5 - Mexico City Aztecs

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am

Another great makeover.

You need to go get your $2.
ImageImageImageImageImage

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon May 18, 2020 11:36 am

Mike: shoot higher ... say $200.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Mon May 18, 2020 11:38 am

Nice! I like the color changes.
Last edited by GoldenOne on Mon May 18, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Mon May 18, 2020 11:38 am

It's nice work. Very slick. But other than the banana bread arm patch I admit I'm not as sold on this one as some of the the others.
Roster

CTBrewCrew

Post by CTBrewCrew » Mon May 18, 2020 1:31 pm

I'm looking forward to see some more of those "Morning Wood" patches being handed out in 2043!

FuzzyRawley
Ex-GM

Post by FuzzyRawley » Mon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Solid work Mike!
:cool: They say it don't be like it is, but it do!

CTBrewCrew

Post by CTBrewCrew » Mon May 18, 2020 7:49 pm

RonCo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:38 am
It's nice work. Very slick. But other than the banana bread arm patch I admit I'm not as sold on this one as some of the the others.
Ooooo YS9 just got bumped up the list buddy 😜

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Mon May 18, 2020 8:18 pm

Go for it...but you'll have to do something special if I'm going to move away from the iconic Nine guy. :)
Roster

Rubaboo
BBA GM

Post by Rubaboo » Tue May 19, 2020 9:47 am

Ha, the Morning Wood patch... Many of my games have 9 or 10 AM start times so that works on more levels than you intended I'm sure. Always appreciative of the banana bread love as well.

This is pretty neat. I'm awful at jersey making (hence the mesh [it gave the best logo color match]) so I appreciate your ability to take other teams' stuff and put out a decent finished article. Maybe I'll take a crack at a redesign at some point. I like the black.

My logo in game has been wrong for awhile, I like the 'A' as a secondary but my primary is the one on the hat. I've talked to Matt a few times about getting it corrected but have never followed through and gotten it done. With the changeover to 21, it's probably time.
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

CTBrewCrew

Post by CTBrewCrew » Tue May 19, 2020 12:01 pm

Your hat in the BBA shop even has a littl' Morning Wood on it.

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:03 pm

CTBrewCrew wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:01 pm
Your hat in the BBA shop even has a littl' Morning Wood on it.
A"Chubbie"?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”