What have we learned regarding RC/27 and Defense?--Final Thoughts

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
niles08
BBA GM

What have we learned regarding RC/27 and Defense?--Final Thoughts

Post by niles08 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:20 am

Now that the feature is done(this time correctly), I like to actually take a peek and analyze it trying to do my best Bill Nye and figure out how to do the math.

Here are some things that stuck out to me that maybe could be useful to those who actually still believe anything I say:
  • It appears that for every RC/27 you are over the average at that position, you can afford to have a negative 2.5 ZR. Look at it as for every 0.1 RC/27 you can basically be 0.25 under on ZR in order to grade out as average.
  • Likewise, going the other direction, for every RC/27 your player is under compared to the position average, you need to have a positive 2.5 ZR in order to make up for that, or a .25 over for every 0.1 RC/27 you are under.
  • Keep in mind these are one season averages and clearly will vary from one season to the next. For instance if Joe Bradshaw drops off next season to the average catcher output of 4.7 RC/27, he would be sitting around the production of the league average catcher.
  • If Mario Guerrer could field at first base, he would actually be ranked as the 12th best first baseman in the league rather than second to last.
  • Dong-Po Thum would have to drop his production by more than half at third base in order for Alex Ramirez to even be within 10 runs created from him.
  • Despite being the second-best right fielder in terms of RC/27, Pedro Huerta dropped down out of the top 10 because of his defense, while Antonio Cordero who has the best defensive ZR in right field finds himself in the top 4, despite an RC/27 of 4.8, 2.33 less than the league average in RF.
  • Tu-Fu Yong was one of the key guys that made me evaluate this entire thing. I have been playing him at SS, and I was curious just how bad he could be there to have it make sense with his bat. He is currently at an RC/27 of 6.4 which is higher than the position average of 5.132 by 1.268. Based on my math, I should be able to play him there as long as his ZR is around negative 3 ZR and his ZR sits at 3.5 in the study which is backed up by his output of -2.33 net runs created compared to the average SS. He is literally average there. He has 29.17 offensive runs produced with a negative 31.5. The math checks out nicely.

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: What have we learned regarding RC/27 and Defense?--Final Thoughts

Post by ae37jr » Wed May 13, 2020 11:17 am

This totally backs up my commitment to Cordero and Venegas this season, despite better offensive options out there.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Wed May 13, 2020 11:28 am

ae37jr wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:17 am
This totally backs up my commitment to Cordero and Venegas this season, despite better offensive options out there.
If Cordero can keep getting on base at a .350 clip, having the elite defense of an elite CF in RF is a big benefit.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Thu May 14, 2020 8:07 am

Well... mirrors TWC’s season this year.

Outside of Bradshaw, no superstars, but good guys in almost every position.

It’ll be fun to see if Bradshaw is for real the next few years or if he’s a flash in the pan.

Well done Niles
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

sjshaw
Ex-GM

Post by sjshaw » Thu May 14, 2020 11:37 am

If you get a chance, would you add links to the individual threads in your initial post, so I can just link this thread in my strategy compilation post?
GM, Louisville Sluggers, end of 2038 - current

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”