Stealing Home: June 2039

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Stealing Home: June 2039

Post by RonCo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:59 pm

There’s always some debate, right? What’s the most exciting play in baseball? Some say it’s the triple. Others say it’s watching Genius try to pick up chicks at Wichita games—though most consider that pastime to be more comedy than drama. There are suicide squeeze aficionados, and probably some hit and run guys out there (bless their sweet little souls), but for out money, give us the steal of home.

Part of it is the fact that it’s rare a team will even attempt such daring-do (there have been only 8 attempts so far this season, and we’re nearing the All-Star break). But mostly it’s the daring-do in itself. The chances of success are thin (only three have been successful), and rely on both skill and surprise.

Let’s take a quick spin through the eight attempts so far:

April 3:: With one out in the top of the 2nd and a 3-0 lead over the Des Moines Kernels, , Madison’s John Dundee attempts to steal home with Jerod Thealer at the plate. He’s caught for the second out. Thealer then grounds to second base to end the inning. No idea is Dundee would have scored on the ground ball if there had been an out left in the inning, but Madison will eventually win 12-5.

April 27: It’s almost a month later when Las Vegas is down 2-0 to Rockville early (bottom of the first). Quant Kouros attempts to steal home is caught, ending a scoreless inning with Carlos Camacho at the plate. Rockville will score 6 runs in the first four innings, and eventually win 6-1

May 1: It’s the bottom of the fifth inning, and Jacksonville’s Jesus Rojas has doubled and advanced to third on a batted out. Charm City is ahead of the Hurricanes by a score of 6-3, and, with two outs Rojas is caught attempting to steal. The move takes the bat out of the hands of Manny Gonzalez, arguably a decent gamble. Charm City will eventually prevail 8-3.

May 11: Up 8-1 over Long Beach in the bottom of the 5th, San Fernando’s Jesus Flores steals home to make it 9-1. A pitch later, a fly out ends the inning. At the time, it could be argued the Bears were rubbing it in, but San Fernando goes on to beat Long Beach 9-7, meaning that extra run gave them a bit of margin later.

May 25: Bottom of the 8th and down to New Orleans by the score of 7-2 with two outs, Mexico City’s Dan Floures steals home and is caught to end the inning, bringing Dashiell Fairborne’s plate appearance to an end. The game will end at that same 7-2 score.

May 31: with a 10-1 lead over Des Moines and two outs in the bottom of the 7th inning, Yellow Springs’ Dong-po Thum attempts to steal and is thrown out. The game will end that same score, and afterward the team’s manager and rookie will have a conversation about sportsmanship.

June 2: vs. Seattle, Quant Kouros steals home with two outs in the top of the first to put the Huslters up 3-0. The Hustlers will end up beating the Storm 9-3. Then, only a day later, the hustlers’ Miguel Rodriguez steals home in the bottom of the 7th against San Antonio. The steal makes the score 7-3 Outlaws in a game San Antonio would eventually win 8-6.

# # # # It is, perhaps, of interest that Las Vegas has three of the five steal attempts of home. It’s also interesting, maybe, that three of the attempts have come in the first two innings. And that, in general, they seem to come with two outs.

Does any of this help us in any way?

No.

At least I don’t think so.

But it’s fun, right?

It’s fun to imagine your guys taking that long lead and working to get the timing just right, fun to see them break for home, and take a slide up the line, trying to avoid a diving catcher.

Ah, yes…that not-so-fake baseball comes roaring in.

I only wish we had a way to know the career leader in this very fun little stat.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Re: Stealing Home: June 2039

Post by shoeless.db » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 pm

I'd love to read (or write) a stream of consciousness account of a steal of home one day in a team news... especially one where the team is up 10-1...
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:44 pm

As a HS baseball coach, I love the suicide squeeze. Wonder if any of these attempts were failed squeezes? I’m going to tell myself Thealer missed the bunt on Dundee or else Dundee is an idiot!!

On a squeeze note, I once called for a squeeze 4 consecutive times in a Middle School game this year. Our opponent failed to get any outs and we scored 6 runs. The final squeeze resulted in the pitcher throwing the ball into RF and we scored 3 runs on it.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:16 pm

Yup. Bottom of the 8th, 2 out. down 7-2. Steal home. Smart feller right there.

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:35 pm

shoeless.db wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 pm
I'd love to read (or write) a stream of consciousness account of a steal of home one day in a team news... especially one where the team is up 10-1...
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29356
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:46 pm

7teen wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:44 pm
As a HS baseball coach, I love the suicide squeeze. Wonder if any of these attempts were failed squeezes? I’m going to tell myself Thealer missed the bunt on Dundee or else Dundee is an idiot!!

On a squeeze note, I once called for a squeeze 4 consecutive times in a Middle School game this year. Our opponent failed to get any outs and we scored 6 runs. The final squeeze resulted in the pitcher throwing the ball into RF and we scored 3 runs on it.

There have been three squeeze attempts:

Omaha vs, Seattle: Jimmy Starks Jr attempted in top of the 9th, runners at 1st and 3rd, one out and one run down. The attempt failed, and the following hitter singled to laod the bases before a fielders choice ended the game:

https://statspl.us/brewster/reports/new ... g_180.html

Phoenix vs. Nashville: Pedro Gomez successfully squeezed in a run in the top of the 10th in a tie game. Bartolot Ortiz later homered to make the final margin 3 runs, but the squeeze put them ahead.

https://statspl.us/brewster/reports/new ... g_435.html

Brooklyn vs. Huntsville: Luzvimindo Arbizo fails to bunt in the top of the 10th, and Nico Eijpe is out stealing (this is an error in my scripot that I need to fix--it does not show up as a caught stealing). The next pitch is a wild pitch that moves another runner up (and would have scored the go--ahead run). Huntsville will go on to win in 12 innings.

https://statspl.us/brewster/reports/new ... g_934.html
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”