2038-2039 Type A & B Free Agents: Where Did They Go?

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

2038-2039 Type A & B Free Agents: Where Did They Go?

Post by RonCo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Conversation about the number of comp picks this year got me interested in looking at how Type A and Type B Free agents did this year, and you know what happens when I get interested. Below, find a listing of all 23 Type A and B free agents. It identifies where they came from, where they ended up, how old they are, whether they took the straight FA route into the process or got their by opting out of a contract they already had, as well as what their last year’s salary was (including bonuses paid)—then lays out the contract they signed in free agency.

My goal was to examine, at the top level, how the process was working mostly from the perspective of the players—i.e., are they making more money. The quick answer to that question appears to be “yes,” with a caveat that I didn’t do this in advance like Ted did last year, so for those guys who opted out, I can’t say if they left money on the table or not--though I did go back into the last v19 file to check on earlier contracts in some cases.

Still, here’s the raw data…comments follow:

2039-TypeA-B-Signing.PNG

A few points:
  • Overall Value: Free Agency is a boon to players. All told, Type A players made base salaries of $106.3M in 2038, and will make $167.9M this year (a 57% increase). For Type B players, those numbers are $77.5 in 2038, $98.4M this year (a 27% bump). Not bad if you can get it.
  • In fact, though there are a few 1-season deals in here, each group of these players (Type A and Type B) will make more money in 2040 (next year) than they did in 2038.
  • Of eight players who opted out of their contracts, four will make more money in 2039, three will make less, and one broke even but is now guaranteed an extra season. The three who had pay cuts are (1) Alfredo Salazar ($16.5 - $15.5) … but Salazar is 37, and I happen to remember that what he turned down was $12.5M, so that represents a $3M raise. (2) Reece Wareham, who signed a 1-season $18.5M deal as a 32 year-old after making $21.5 last year (a number that includes bonuses paid), still made out, as his base salary was due to be $18M (per the last v19 file). (3) 35 year-old Sean MaGuire, who turned $17.M in order to take $13.5M, but the kicker here is that MaGuire’s deal gives him two more guaranteed years at $13.5 each…so he gave up $17.8M guaranteed in order to take $39M guaranteed. Hard to argue about that.
  • Alfredo Martinez’s opt-out choice left $7M of team buy outs on the table, which might have made his decision bad if it weren’t for Louisville’s Golden … uh … well, you can do a lot with $56M in two years.
  • Egbert Behner was the big winner, turning down a guaranteed $30M over three seasons in return for $50M over two.
  • Of the fifteen players who played out their contracts and became Free Agents, twelve received raises, two (Lloyd Braun and Leyli Yelmanian) took pay cuts, and Adam Parrish signed a minor league deal (which is, admittedly, odd). I’ll note that the most likely scenario in both Braun and Yelmanian’s case is that the were over-paid to begin with, and allowed to walk.
  • Three 27-year-old players entered the market, and all three got 6-season deals with some level of player control (CCJ’s Mario Guerrer has a team option at the end).
  • Note how many contracts are being let with player control (options/opt-outs) being included. I suspect this is because BBA GMs have gotten the idea that there’s value in draft picks, and that means it’s worth it to us to take some risk in planning, but that’s just my take.
Bottom line here is that “suddenly?”--after many seasons of lackluster FA seasons--this suggests that we’re seeing a robust process that is working in the player’s advantage right now.

Of course, time changes. This was essentially year three of this process, and we’ve yet to see the ramifications of where things will settle. For example, for the first time that I can remember we had two bigtime players (Jared Gillstrom and Luis Berrera) not sign until the first week of the regular season. Is that the new norm, or was that a dynamic created half in the game and half in the market that is the BBA. GMs learn. Yes, we do…sometimes slowly. But now that we know a guy like Gillstrom will take 1-season deals, will we jump there earlier? If so, would it make a difference in the OOTP algorithm that is one Jared Gillstrom?

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know.

The meat grinder can be a bit hard to watch at times, right? But, at least at the high level that this data is cut at, I can see a lot to like about what’s going on around the BBA in free agency these days--looking at it from the player's perspective, anyway.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 2038-2039 Type A & B Free Agents: Where Did They Go?

Post by jleddy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:31 pm

I wonder how many of these players would end up not signed until after the deadline if the BBA penalized teams for signing comp players by taking away their picks (à la MLB).

Also wonder if there would be less of a bidding war if this penalty existed, therefore possibly causing lower offers during negotiations (and final contract.)

Nonetheless, nice work Ron!
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:01 pm

The prices you put on free agents like that certainly change the dynamics. What di you think whould happen?
Roster

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:14 pm

RonCo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:01 pm
The prices you put on free agents like that certainly change the dynamics. What di you think whould happen?
Probably a few B Types might make their way to the season opener not signed if a team would be at risk of losing a draft pick. I'm only guessing since I've only experienced one off-season but I would think at the risk of losing a draft pick, fewer teams would be in the running to sign free agents and as long as a team doesn't poison the well by accepting FA's high offers (it only takes one overzealous GM), I think you'd see asking prices go down with fewer teams involved.

Not saying it's better but just an interesting causality under that dynamic.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:16 am

Have you seen that dynamic in other leagues? At question is how OOTP players lower their prices over time. Does lack of receiving offers crash prices quickly?

I'm not sure that's the case, but I haven't seen too many OOTP ladies that wind up creating good FA classes.

I'm also not sure that would be a good thing. I'm also not sure it wouldn't be good.
Roster

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Wareham definitely took a pay cut. He was scheduled to make $500k less in base salary, but he had something like $3m-$3.5 in easily attainable bonuses (AB and all-star). Also, didn't he opt out of multiple $18m seasons? He's going to have to stay heathy (a big question), keep enough range to stay at SS (a big question), and produce (despite drops in his contact rating) and hope someone will dish out $18m+ to a 33 year old SS next off season.

Behner was definitely the big winner, I think his pay increase accounts for nearly 20% of the total increase by all Type A players!! (and he's gone from underpaid to the highest paid pitcher the next 2 years)

Braun was my contract I believe. If I remember right, it was a long deal that was heavily back loaded (because I was confident he wouldn't be with us more than a couple seasons....turned out it was a couple of months)
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”