Big Names Fall as Spring Training Begins

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Big Names Fall as Spring Training Begins

Post by RonCo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:38 am

Jared Gillstrom and Luis Berrera remain unsigned, though rumors of their sharky agents circling GMs camps abound. In the meantime, four big names have signed in the past few days, all to shorter term deals for buckets of cash.

“It’s a different world out there these days,” said one agent off the record. “It’s not as easy as just saying ‘hey, my guy is good, give me cash.”

The biggest news of the week came out of Boise, where new GM Joe Lederer flashed some of the cash the previous regime had left unspent, and signed both Egbert Behner—the top pitcher in the market—and future Hall of Famer Alfredo “Savage” Salazar. Behner’s is a two-season deal for $27M and $23M. Salazar’s is $15M this year, with an equal number next if he vests at 500 AB. Insiders suggest that Salazar’s age will make that unlikely (he’s Salazar, not Lazarus). At 34 (Behner) and 38 (Salazar), the structure of their contracts is interesting. Both players were known to have preferred longer contracts, but no one was biting on them. The Spuds arguably overpaid for both on raw value, but their coffers were full now, and by limiting the duration of the deals, Lederer minimized overall risk to the team’s future.

“Those guys make the Spuds an immediate contender,” said BBA Weekly Reporter Lenny Duval. “Or at least it’s got to raise eyebrows. The Frontier is a tough division, but when you can add guys like Behner and Salazar to the core they’ve got, you have to take notice.”

Boise won 74 games last season, and received the breakout kind of numbers they had wanted from young outfielder Dennis French.

But that wasn’t the only news of the week.

Atlantic City went out and added veteran shortstop Reece Wareham to their roster on a 1-season deal for $18M. Some suggest Wareham (32) is losing a step at shortstop, but he’s given consistent All-Star numbers over the length of his career, and he still gets on base with the best of them. With Lloyd Braun at shortstop now, one suspects Wareham will find time at third and second, as well as DH. While it’s a lot of cash to throw around, the addition of Wareham makes this club considerably more versatile. The deal may limit Gambler GM Joshua Biddle this year, that it’s for one season only shouldn’t cause ruffles in future plans.

Also singing this week was 27-year-old center fielder Willard Gagne, who inked a pact with New Orleans that, assuming it plays out, will pay him $26M over three seasons. Gagne has an option in year two, the team in year three. At one point some considered Gagne one of the top center fielders in the game (“some” meaning “me”). While those years are a bit behind him, Gagne is still likely to be above average, and we suspect the deal will likely play out. Still, I like the structure of this deal a lot as GM Jim Roberts is paying for play, creating a chance for landing a draft pick, and has a solid way out at the end if it doesn’t pan out.

Rumors, of course, are still surrounding a couple names. Though Spring Training is in full swing, veteran infielder and almost certain Hall of Famer Jared Gillstrom is still unsigned. His camp has suggested that he’s willing to discuss single season deals now, though his asking price is still high. At 34 years old, we’ll see if there are takers. “There are still a few teams out there who could add Gillstrom,” Duval said. “ California and Yellow Springs both look to have cash around, and teams like Charm City might not be done adding. Hawaii could be a dark horse—though they have budget issues. There are options for him, but mostly it looks like this newer breed of GMs have kind of moved on from him. A lot of their cash is allocated, and unless Gillstrom wants to drop the number, he could find himself without a job come April.” Publicly, at least, Gillstrom’s representatives are holding firm, stating they know what the player is worth, and expect to get it.

In a similar situation, 30-year-old catcher Luis Barrera remains unsigned. The story around Barrera is different in that he’s dropped his salary demand to some degree, but is still looking for the security of years. He’s met with the front offices of both Boise and Wichita, and each seems to have interest, but the clock is ticking.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Big Names Fall as Spring Training Begins

Post by jleddy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:50 am

RonCo wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:38 am
(he’s Salazar, not Lazarus)
I mean, talk about a line for the ages! Well done, sir!
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:04 pm

Brooklyn has roughly $20 million available this year, $55 next year and beyond.

I was trying to get Salazar and Dempsey to achieve my goal of maxing out Fan Interest(after it was in the 40's less then a year ago). And it's not really in my game plan to go after a Gillstrom like player/contract at this time. But with Salazar off the board and little to no competition, I'm thinking I'd be stupid not to even make him a lowball offer and give it a shot. Not many teams are capable of structuring a contract he will accept and some of the ones who can are stuck in the "Don't spend big and be mediocre forever" mode. So yeah, I'm about 75% certain I will put some sort of offer in.

I'll also accept B prospects and cash considerations from Randy to ensure he gets a comp pick. :P
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:56 pm

It's almost always helpful to spend as much of your budget as is practical as long as you're not extending out to the point that you get yourself into trouble.
Roster

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:14 pm

RonCo wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:56 pm
It's almost always helpful to spend as much of your budget as is practical as long as you're not extending out to the point that you get yourself into trouble.
I agree. That second part of your statement applies to us though. I'm still feeling the financial ripple of my "all in" years. Between this year and next I want to max out my cash and bonus funds so I have more resources when I eventually rise. I think more then anyone else in the league, I've shown I'm not afraid to use my financial resources to the max and beyond. :P
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:30 pm

True. But in your defense, that was your plan and now you're working your way out of it. I never, ever mind someone going into hock as long as they're going to gut out the ramifications...of course, that part can be fun, too.
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”