Batting Around and OBP

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Batting Around and OBP

Post by RonCo » Thu May 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Or, On The Power of On-base Percentage
Yeah, yeah, we all read Moneyball. We all get it. You only get so many outs, so don’t waste them. A walk is as good as a hit. As the King would say “et cetera, et cetera, et cetera”.

But really, do we actually get it?

Do we look at OBP the first thing, or are we still stuck in the idea of batting average first? I ask this because even though I like to think of myself as a convert, like to imagine myself as a modern analytical kind of guy, I have to admit to myself that my initial instincts (honed from years and years of reading baseball cards and whatnot) often lend themselves to scanning average before anything else. Tell me you don’t, right? I mean, maybe it’s a generational thing. But for me it’s a pure instinct. My gaze almost always goes to batting average first, and then my brain hauls its ass over to OBP and then OPS.

Anyway… this is a long way to go to state that somewhere along the line I asked myself a purely theoretical question that went like this: how does on-base percentage affect the number of times I can expect my team to bat around? In other words, if my team OBP is whatever it is, how often will my team send every player in the linep to the plate in an inning? It’s just math, right? And this is valuable to think about because I figure if my team bats around, they are guaranteed to score at least three runs even if every guy who gets on base gets on with nothing but a walk. If there are base hits in there, we’ll probably score more.

And yeah, crooked numbers are good.

THE PROCESS:

So I wrote a simple little script that let me set various OBP and a number of test innings, and then ran that number of innings, simulating outs and on base results. For those geeky enough to care, here’s the script:

Code: Select all

#/usr/local/bin/perl -w

$obp=.300;
$innings = 100000;

for($i=0; $i<$innings; $i++) {
	$hitters[$i] = 0;
	$outs = 0;
	while($outs < 3) {
		$hitters[$i]++;
		if(rand() > $obp) { $outs++; }
	}
}

$pa[$i] = 0;

}

$ab=$hitters[$i];
	$pa[$ab]++;

}

print "Number of batters in an inning if OBP is:" . $obp . "\n" . "Total Innings: " . $innings . "\n\n";

if($pa[$i] > 0) {
		print $i . "\t" . $pa[$i] . "\n";
	}
}

print "Close Screen? (Y/N): ";
$quit = <>;
See what I mean by “simple.” Only 41 lines of code, and that’ s counting blank lines and the little bit at the end that I put in to make the DOS screen stay open so I could gather data. Its output displays the number of times an inning consisted of a certain number of hitters.

For example:

Code: Select all

Number of batters in an inning if OBP is:0.3
Total Innings: 100000

3       34315
4       30646
5       18555
6       9272
7       4250
8       1795
9       750
10      264
11      92
12      34
13      16
14      3
15      3
16      3
17      1
18      1
Close Screen? (Y/N):
So, in this this test run of 100,000 innings, my team of .300 OBP hitters went down without a baserunner 34,315 times (34.3% of innings played). It batted around (sent 9 or more hitters to the plate) 1,164 times (1.16%).

Cool, right?

But I decided I wanted a little more context, so I converted those number to game played. Or, in other words, I asked myself If every player on my team has a OBP of XXX, how many games should I expect it will take before my team bats around?

Let’s look at that example. If my team can be expected to bat around 1.16% of the time, how many innings should it take, on average, before my team sends at least 9 guys to the plate? This is essentially saying that every inning I’m flipping a coin that’s weighted to land on heads only 1.16% of the time…how many times do I have to flip it to expect 1 heads? The answer is 1/X, or in this case I have to play 85.9 innings before I’d expect by random nature to send at least 9 guys to the plate. Divide that by 9 innings in a game, and the answer comes back that, if everyone on my team OBPs at a .300 rate, all other things being equal, my offense should be expected to bat around once every 9.54 games.

Of course, all things are never equal. But you get the point.

THE SUMMARY

All right. If you’ve made it this far, I commend you (or I worry about you, but you’re in this league, so the chances of you being a normal sane person are already low, so maybe I shouldn’t, eh?). Anyway, I ran this script several times, increasing the team OBP from .300 on up to .400, and captured off the data. Then did that simple math to arrive at a nice little chart that shows the base power of OBP.

OBP-bat-around.PNG
OBP-bat-around.PNG (13.03 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

If my team OBP is .300 I can expect to put up a crooked number about every 9.5 games. At .350 that drops to about 4.4 games. A .400 team would bat around about every 2.1 or 2.2 games--about four and a half more times than that .300 team.

So, yeah, OBP for the win, right?

Of course, my brain is probably always going to have to make my gaze scan across to OBP and SLG and OPS. But, hey, we all have our crosses to bear I suppose.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

sjshaw
Ex-GM

Re: Batting Around and OBP

Post by sjshaw » Thu May 23, 2019 2:42 pm

Love this stuff
GM, Louisville Sluggers, end of 2038 - current

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu May 23, 2019 6:00 pm

*cough* Nerd *cough* looks around the room to see who said that!

haha good stuff. As the GM of the team with the highest OBP in the JL, I wonder how many times we've batted around this season? I'm a big believer here and in RL of getting on base.

With that said, this whole thread gives me nightmares of my freshman year of college when I thought of doing computer science as a second major. After taking 1 programming class, I decided it wasn't for me. A buddy had to do all of my work there in exchange for me helping him with his history papers.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Now the question is, how often to teams full of .250 to .350 hitter bat around?

I don't think I've been all that concerned with average for over a decade now. I'd much rather see OBP and SLG/OPS than AVG. Some players are able to live on consistently high AVG/BABIP, but I rarely employ them. I think my only sub 5 EYE starters have been Vicente Chavez, David Noboru, and now Edgardo Encarnacion.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat May 25, 2019 1:05 pm

udlb58 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:39 pm
Now you're just going all pragmatic on me.
I don't think I've been all that concerned with average for over a decade now. I'd much rather see OBP and SLG/OPS than AVG. Some players are able to live on consistently high AVG/BABIP, but I rarely employ them. I think my only sub 5 EYE starters have been Vicente Chavez, David Noboru, and now Edgardo Encarnacion.
I always laugh at myself when I catch my eyes going to batting average, but I can't seem to break the instinct. I can be taught to reason, I suppose, but instincts are instincts. I suppose it doesn't help when most broadcasting of real baseball still focuses on batting average--which is still a fun little stat, but I still wish my gaze went the opposite direction. :bag:
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat May 25, 2019 1:16 pm

RonCo wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:05 pm
udlb58 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:39 pm
Now you're just going all pragmatic on me.
I always laugh at myself when I catch my eyes going to batting average, but I can't seem to break the instinct. I can be taught to reason, I suppose, but instincts are instincts. I suppose it doesn't help when most broadcasting of real baseball still focuses on batting average--which is still a fun little stat, but I still wish my gaze went the opposite direction. :bag:
Regarding the broadcasting, I've started over the last few years to get really annoyed when the graphic for the batter shows up and there's good ol' batting average, and usually either slugging or OPS (along with the obligatory HR and RBI). Two of the three pieces of info I need to know what is going on. Or you know, just give me OBP and SLG or OBP and OPS and that would be so much more helpful.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat May 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Yeah, I don't mind getting batting average, but it should come with a full slash line since ultimately that does a decent job of at least giving you an "at a glance" characterization of what the hitter is doing to create whatever productivity he's had. It's not that batting average is some kind of horrible stat, it's just that there's so much more to know.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat May 25, 2019 1:29 pm

Beating a dead horse...in these slashes, knowing what a guy's batting average is provides some useful context to understand what the player is doing, but if you had to have only one you'd take OBP, and if you had to have only two you'd take OBP and SLG.

.295/.343/.361, OPS=.704 (otherwise known as Juan Pierre's career slash)
.315/.343/.361, OPS=.704
.295/.385/.361, OPS=.746
.315/.385/.361, OPS=.746

But I'm an "and" kind of guy...why not just get all three? :)
Roster

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Sat May 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Guys, we're all overlooking a huge error in this article. Batting around requires sending 10 batters to the plate, not 9. Really disappointed in you, Ron.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat May 25, 2019 2:18 pm

Roster