2038 BBA Trade Deadline: Contenders, Pretenders, or Crossroads

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
recte44
GB: Commissioner

2038 BBA Trade Deadline: Contenders, Pretenders, or Crossroads

Post by recte44 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:41 pm

The 2038 BBA Trade Deadline is here. So who are the contenders and what do they need? Who are the pretenders and what assets could they cash in? And what about those teams in the middle who are at a crossroads? Let's take a look.

JOHNSON LEAGUE
1. Rockville Pikemen
CONTENDER
Biggest Need: Power Bat
It's incredibly hard to find a need on this team. Even their one area of "weakness", power (13th in JL in homers) is a tricky one. Sure, they could USE another power hitter...but who would he replace? It's likely the Pikemen will either stand pat or make a move or two with their upcoming salary cap issues in mind.

2. Jacksonville Hurricanes
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: Middle Relief
Like the Pikemen, any "need" here is bordering on nitpicking. Most playoff bound teams would never say no to adding another power arm out of the bullpen. If there's one weakness on the Jacksonville staff it's the lack of true power arms in their relief corps.

3. Las Vegas Hustlers
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: Frontline Starting Pitcher
The Hustlers have gotten here on the back of a balanced offense and a lights out bullpen. Despite adding Mauro Flores in the offseason, their starting staff still shows considerable warts. Vegas was undoubtedly counting on Gerardo Fajardo to return and bolster the staff once again but he has regressed during his latest injury to the point where he is no longer an option.

4. Mexico City Aztecs
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: Third Base, DH
It was easy to point at their lackluster production from the designated hitter slot all season- sorry, but Augie Plascencia just isn't cutting it. They need a big bopper to come in and provide boost there. Now, they face another black hole with the loss of Jerome Delage for two months. So add a third baseman to the list.

5. Phoenix Talons
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: Shortstop
The loss of Voitto Stromberg really hurt the Talons, but at least it came before the Trade Deadline. Hyun-oo Yong is the only "viable" internal candidate and he's absolutely horrific. They need to grab someone to take this key position heading into the postseason.

6. San Antonio Outlaws
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: Catcher
I wrestled with calling them a contender or a crossroads club, but ultimately it's been a while since they've been in the drivers seat for a postseason berth so here we are. Jesus Gonzales has been a disaster at third base, but he's got that mega contract so they're stuck there. Let's look at catcher, where Mike can certainly find a player who will give them some kind of offense. They're getting nothing from their current duo.

7. Huntsville Phantoms
CROSSROADS

Trade Chips: Luis Barrera (C), Luis Gonzalez (SS), Norris Rutledge (1B), Esteban Velasquez (CL)
Sure, the Phantoms are technically still in the hunt for a Wild Card, but let's be honest...they're not. Vic took over the club and he's going to re-tool them. Their 9-15 record this month indicates where they're at right now. It's time to move some veterans, and above I've listed four very interesting ones.

8. Montreal Blazers
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Hank Brewer (C), Vicente Chavez (UT)
They've already traded away most of their interesting veterans, but you'd think they could get at least a couple of nice prospects for Brewer and Chavez. Especially Brewer, with his post-season experience and the need for catchers among the contenders.

9. Nashville Goats
CROSSROADS

Trade Chips: William Moreland (1B)
So they have made a lot of moves over the past couple of years, but it's still hard to see what "The Plan" truly is. One thing has become clear, apparently pitching was not part of the plan. So they've invested heavily via trade capital and cold hard cash in putting together a decent position player group but this team won't truly contend without multiple better pitchers. So it's tough to say which way they'll go, although they have indicated their interest in moving Moreland to a contender.

10. Atlantic City Gamblers
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Allen MacHugh (C), Ricardo Hernandez (OF)
The Gamblers look a lot like the Blazers right now, except without the quantity of promising youngsters on the big league roster. Not a lot to trade, but they can bring some return back with MacHugh and Hernandez.

11. Brooklyn Robins
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Juan Sweetworld (CF)
So like some of the other "Pretenders", Alan has already dealt just about anyone he has been able to already. There's not much but a bunch of role players left to deal, but Sweetworld is having a bit of a reclamation season and could be attractive if Brooklyn is willing to pay most of his contract.

12. New Orleans Crawdads
CROSSROADS

Trade Chips: Freddy Delgado (SP/RP), Joaquin Camacho (C), Yancy Cravat (1B)
For so long it felt like the Crawdads were never going to be under .500. The mere thought of it was laughable. But here they are, truly at a crossroads with the franchise. They've already traded Hector Amaral, and while they'd love to move guys like Alex Ramirez he just doesn't have much value anymore. It'll be interesting to see how the next few seasons in New Orleans unfold.

13. Charm City Jimmies
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Jason Morris (RP), Domenic Wyatt (RF), Rogerio Vazquez (SP)
Charm City hasn't been charmed much lately, but the good news here is that they do have several veterans who will attract suitors at the deadline. The primary chip is Morris, who I predict will garner much more in return than the Supplemental first rounder he is no longer eligible for.

14. Wichita Aviators
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Hiroyuki Rin (SP/RP), Esteban Sanchez (SP), Hirotada Miura (SP), Marcos Villegas (SP/RP), Gabriel Talamante (2B), Alvin Dickinson (LF), Don Logan (C), and on and on...
The Genius has tried to win now with a bunch of middling veterans on this recent expansion club. It hasn't worked. He has countless trade pieces but is he willing to do a complete and total rebuild?

15. Louisville Sluggers
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Shag Hopkins (C), Ken Bates (SP), Doug Clement (RP), Pepe Jaramillo (SP)
Louisville is a bit of a mess right now. There's not many talented veterans, but there's not a ton of blue chip youngsters, either. That's what makes Jaramillo an interesting name on this list- why not trade him now while he's still in arby years though already 28 years old? The return would have to be worth it, but he could be one of the bigger fish out there if made available.

FRICK LEAGUE

1. California Crusaders
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: Bats, preferably at the infield corners
The Crusaders have all of the pitching. They have sluggers and they take walks. When you're #2 in the FL in walks, you certainly shouldn't be #11 in OBP. They need some hitters at the infield corners. Luis Lucero isn't quite working out at third base and Drew Hair is nothing special at first base. Given that first base is one of the most bountiful positions in the BBA, that should be easy to upgrade. Third base is a bit trickier.

2. Yellow Springs Nine
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: Second Base
It's amazing to think that this team completely fell apart last season given where they are now. Not many needs on this well balanced team. An upgrade to second base is the most pressing fix, because Bob Frazier has been, well...horrible this season.

3. Edmonton Jackrabbits
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: Left-handed Reliever
I'm trying really hard to not match particular players to teams here, however I can't resist mentioning that Esteban Velasquez (CL) would be the perfect addition for Edmonton. The only other area that could be perceived as a weakness, and this is relatively minor, is that they have negative ZR's at the two most key defensive positions: shortstop (Fernando Martinez) and center field (William Wood). Hard to take their bats out of the lineup, though.

4. Seattle Storm
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: Pitching, Center Field
At first glance it's easy to say the Storm needs pitching. It'd be easy to say they need power but look deeper and you'll see Vincent Vanderhugen is filling that void. What would really help them is fixing the outfield defense. If they could find a TRUE center fielder, it would fix several issues at once. You could then move John Hickman to right field and Lionnel Crepin to DH, making Aurelio Lopez the top pinch hitter off the bench. Improving two defensive positions with one move, and therefore improving the pitching staff which has plenty of talent but middling results.

5. Valencia Stars
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: A PLUS Defensive Second Baseman
Speaking of solving multiple issues with one move, here's a perfect example. Right now Curt Love is hitting RHP but hurting the team out of position at second base. Meanwhile, Kiichi Suzuki is absolutely RAKING against RHP, but below average defensively at third base. Over at first base, Mike Ellis is giving good defense but not much offensively. Angel Zalapa is one of the BBA's brightest stars at shorstop. The smart move is to go find an awesome defensive second baseman, preferably one who can hit both lefties AND righties, move Love to third base, move Suzuki to first base (where he'd be a beast) and move Ellis to the bench against RHP and back in at first base against LHP. This is such an interesting team right now.

6. Long Beach Surfers
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: BATS!
They've already posted that they need a bat, position be damned. Truth be told, the only "lock" positions would be catcher, first base and third base. While they have a lot of flexibility for said bats, they also need to be careful not to mess up the defensive lineup that has led to their Frick-best BABIP.

7. San Fernando Bears
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: Catcher, Left Field, Relief Pitchers (preferably those that can control their pitches)
This is easily the most frustrating team that Randy has put forth in his excellent BBA career. Jayden Harsnett was a complete flop, so they need a left fielder. Their catching situation is perhaps the most pathetic duo of backstops I've ever seen. And outside of Carlos Delgado and Miroslav Tomanek (who btw needs to get some love for FL Egan) their bullpen has been consistently inconsistent. The good news? Solid core, and more cap space than teams this good usually have. Let's see what Randy decides to do.

8. Calgary Pioneers
CONTENDER

Biggest Need: Starting Pitching
One good starting pitcher can help the Pioneers leaps and bounds. The trickle down effect will help fix their middle relief issues. Carlos Rodriguez looks like a reliever to me with that control. Find someone to take his spot. You'll be glad you did.

9. Twin Cities River Monsters
CROSSROADS

Trade Chips: Duane Whitley, Jr. (3B), Steve Russell (RP), Albert Gaona (1B)
Scott has to be wondering how he got in this position. A few years back the River Monsters were poised to be the next big thing. Just need to upgrade the pitching. Now, he still needs to upgrade the pitching only he's saddled with the rotting corpses of Chris Limon, Xue-qin Man, and (to some extent) Ray Cooper. Add to that the free agent decisions coming up with no less than seven of the active 27 men up for free agency. So which way do the River Monsters go? Do they make a run for a Wild Card spot and see what happens? Or do they try to trade off their impending free agents like the two listed above in an attempt to add some younger, less expensive players to a team that will probably need them over the next few seasons. Stay tuned.

10. Boise Spuds
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Valeri Kharlamov (2B), Ken Gerhart III (RF)
They don't have much to trade anymore, and that's fine. I'll say it first- Boise is on the right track. Check their home record of 36-30. So they have a couple vets listed above that will bring back a lottery ticket or two and that's fine for the Spuds right now.

11. Madison Wolves
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Jon Mick (1B), Elroy Hinson (C), Enrique Gomez (SP), Ross Quicker (3B)
Straight from the horses mouth: "The Trade deadline is approaching so let's throw out some guys and see. Clearly we aren't heading anywhere this season so perhaps it's take to make a move and start really blowing this shit up or set ourselves up with a different plan."

12. Omaha Hawks
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Sergio Maldonado (1B), Max Hatcher (IF), Alfonso Olvere (RF), Manuel Orozco (SP)
What a disappointing season for the Hawks, who were hurt early by losing Orozco for the season and it went downhill from there. They are thirsty for more prospects right now and the above are interesting enough to get some lottery type specs into the system.

13. Hawaii Tropics
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Francisco Mejia (RP)
New GM Mike Branda has been eerily quiet and there's not a lot to trade off. Mejia would immediately become one of the best relief options on the block with multiple teams that should be interested.

14. Des Moines Kernels
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Jorge Rodriguez (LF), Gerardo Guzman (3B), Aaron Campbell (RP), Mario Villarreal (RP), Colt Anderson (RP)
The list of players on the block is as good of an example of what's wrong with this franchise than anything. No stars there, just older, more expensive, complimentary players. The kind of players that belong on contending teams in specialized roles. Not on a team that is going to lose 90-100 games anyway and should be stockpiling young players.

15. Vancouver Mounties
PRETENDER

Trade Chips: Pierre Cordona (RF), Jim Miranda (C), Ricardo Arellano (RP)
The complete opposite approach of the previous team. They've already cleared out most of the valuable veterans. The three above are only worthy of low level prospects, but even that will continue to add to the list of youngsters the Mounties are slowly creating. This is definitely a long burn rebuild. The one thing Taylor needs to determine is whether the rebuild is going to be long enough that it may make sense to block players like Rashardo Menne III at some point.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2038 BBA Trade Deadline: Contenders, Pretenders, or Crossroads

Post by RonCo » Mon May 13, 2019 7:10 pm

I have to read each team when I get a chance...finishing a story now. But I continue to love that Bob Frazier is considered horrible. The platoon of him and Sullivan have been worth 1.5 WAR with a month left in the season. He was 2 WAR last year. Not brilliant. But pretty danged okay. He's also a captain, so there's whatever that is.

That said, if we're going to "fix" him right now, it would probably be to bring up Dong-po Thum and move Padilla to 2B. I'm not sure the defense would make that a wise decision, though. Regardless, our finances make much of anything else tough.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:32 pm

Nice peice. If I had time I’d play matchmaker. Who has assets that a team needs?

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Mon May 13, 2019 7:38 pm

The Plan® has changed.... The offense got there this year but it has been a revolving door in the pitching staff. Time to re-adjust a little.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 pm

I doubt I'll be able to trade Sweetworld before deadline. I misread the market for centerfielders before trading for him. Most of the contenders have good ones. Hopefully next year. If I can't flip him then that trade made no sense for me.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 pm

It's funny how we see things differently. I'm perfectly happy with Lucero. He has an OPS over .800. Rookies often take a bit. This is fine for now. I am annoyed with Hair. And the horrible OBP out of my DH is annoying. Kobyahsi is getting a try at first. I hope Hair bounce back next season, but he may be done. But I'm first in the Frick. No reason to make any moves. An upgrade would cost prospect capital. There's very little chance that the slightly increased chance of winning the Landis from an upgrade will be worth what it would cost to add a reliable great player at first in the long run.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 pm

On the other hand, journalists gotta journal. :)
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Mon May 13, 2019 10:24 pm

1. Rockville Pikemen
CONTENDER
Biggest Need: Power Bat
It's incredibly hard to find a need on this team.
You totally missed that the ball guy who protects the bullpen in right field is a littl slow on the uptake.
2. Jacksonville Hurricanes
CONTENDER
Biggest Need: Middle Relief
Like the Pikemen, any "need" here is bordering on nitpicking.
The guy who lays out the towels in the visitor's locker room is said to be doing too good of a job. Time to find a replacement.
Roster

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Mon May 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Montreal only 3-1/2 games back in wild card and holding 8% chance of making playoffs. San Antonio and Huntsville struggling so anything possible. But we have a very tough schedule remainder of season. Based on all that your supposed to buy right? Well, we have decided to simply do nothing. When your 60-70 it don’t really make sense to add but when your 3-1/2 back of wild card it don’t make sense to sell. I can honestly say I have never had a record this bad and been this close to the playoffs awkward situation.

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Mon May 13, 2019 10:37 pm

3. Las Vegas Hustlers
CONTENDER
Biggest Need: Frontline Starting Pitcher
Welcome to the land of mortals. :)
4. Mexico City Aztecs
CONTENDER
Biggest Need: Third Base, DH
Calling Mark Dempsey? Calling Jon Mick?
5. Phoenix Talons
CONTENDER
Biggest Need: Shortstop
The loss of Voitto Stromberg really hurt the Talons, but at least it came before the Trade Deadline.
The Talons have more prospect power to deal. Will they want to give it up?
6. San Antonio Outlaws
CONTENDER
Biggest Need: Catcher
I wrestled with calling them a contender or a crossroads club,
Definitely contenders, but also one of those teams hoping to show up and see what happens. Gonzalez was high risk, but Mike had the door open and tool it. His budget is borderline to the point where with the use of a few PPT I wonder if it would be best to cut him in the off season and take the loss. Probably pretty tight, but at least it would open the salary cap again.
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 pm

handaspencer wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:34 pm
Montreal only 3-1/2 games back in wild card and holding 8% chance of making playoffs. San Antonio and Huntsville struggling so anything possible. But we have a very tough schedule remainder of season. Based on all that your supposed to buy right? Well, we have decided to simply do nothing. When your 60-70 it don’t really make sense to add but when your 3-1/2 back of wild card it don’t make sense to sell. I can honestly say I have never had a record this bad and been this close to the playoffs awkward situation.
I think traditional strategy says buy. I think smart thinking is what you're saying. Why scrape into the playoffs to hope that a first round win nets you the privilege of getting steam rolled by rockville in rd 2. May as well just stay the course.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Mon May 13, 2019 10:49 pm

7. Huntsville Phantoms
CROSSROADS
Trade Chips: Luis Barrera (C), Luis Gonzalez (SS), Norris Rutledge (1B), Esteban Velasquez (CL)
Maybe it's just me, but Esteban Velasquez is a perfect example of a guy who should probably have been given a player option in his last year in hopes that he'd bring Huntsville a draft pick. You're a winner either way in that case, if he doesn't execute it you still have a top-quality reliever...
8. Montreal Blazers
PRETENDER
Trade Chips: Hank Brewer (C), Vicente Chavez (UT)
I can't see many contenders giving Montreal much for Brewer while he's on the DL. And the Blazer's don't really have a great plan B in the organization right now.
9. Nashville Goats
CROSSROADS
Trade Chips: William Moreland (1B)
So they have made a lot of moves over the past couple of years, but it's still hard to see what "The Plan" truly is.
I think the plan is: make a lot of moves for a few years while you wheather the horrible financial decisions of your predecssor and figure some other stuff things out.
10. Atlantic City Gamblers
PRETENDER
Trade Chips: Allen MacHugh (C), Ricardo Hernandez (OF)
The Gamblers look a lot like the Blazers right now, except without the quantity of promising youngsters on the big league roster.
Interested to see what Joshua is going to do here. He might be able to get something for Derrick Kennedy, too.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 pm

Ted wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 pm
handaspencer wrote:
I think traditional strategy says buy. I think smart thinking is what you're saying. Why scrape into the playoffs to hope that a first round win nets you the privilege of getting steam rolled by rockville in rd 2. May as well just stay the course.
If you can find a perfect match/partner and buy very cheaply, then sure. The playoff cash and fan interest boost can help the financial stability. But no reason to go sell off something valuable for it.
Roster

usnspecialist
Ex-GM

Post by usnspecialist » Mon May 13, 2019 11:05 pm

Completely agree with pretty much all parts of mine
Randy Weigand

Havana Sugar Kings/San Fernando Bears: 32-50 (1608-1481)
Des Moines Kernels: 52-

League Champion- 34
JL Champion- 34
FL Champion- 36, 37
JL Southern- 34
FL Pacific- 37, 39
Wild Card- 33, 35, 36, 40, 43

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Mon May 13, 2019 11:12 pm

RonCo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 pm
Ted wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 pm
handaspencer wrote:
If you can find a perfect match/partner and buy very cheaply, then sure. The playoff cash and fan interest boost can help the financial stability. But no reason to go sell off something valuable for it.
If something falls in my lap I am open for business but with a system that needs built its counterproductive to deplete it to get beat in playoffs. We are playing good ball and have been for a couple months. With the struggles of others it might be enough. I do get Brewer back in a few weeks. Not sure how productive he will actually be. To be honest he really needs to be on a rehab assignment upon his return but due to timing that won’t happen.

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Post by Joshua Biddle » Tue May 14, 2019 12:37 am

Good read

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Tue May 14, 2019 6:41 am

Don't you have to think you're a contender to be a pretender?
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Tue May 14, 2019 6:46 am

My powerhitting is (and has always been) deceptive. My park reduces homers by a huge amount but improves batting average, so I've tailored my team over the years towards high contact hitters.

I suspect if I had a neutral park I'd be 5th or 6th in homers, but I also might not be playing guys like Xuan and Zang, so that might be much higher. (And I probably draft Angel Zalapa over Chip Puckett, which would be an interesting redo.)

Something to remember when you're giving me that draft pick for Mario Guerrer this summer is that he's probably been held back for years.

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Tue May 14, 2019 7:35 am

Sadly, Matt has pretty much nailed Huntsville’s position. We’re in contention for a wild card spot ... but not really. The fact that this team is remotely close to playoff contention of any kind is an abomination in the eyes of the baseball gods. I’m not sure a stopwatch exists that could measure the mere nanoseconds it would take to oust us from the postseason should we somehow stumble in ...

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Tue May 14, 2019 8:32 am

Yeah Madison was really hoping to make some moves on these guys I have and it appears there are guys who could use a Mick (1B/DH) or Hinson (C) but either they disagree or don't want to take on the salary.

I'm even willing to give Enrique Gomez away but his stats make him damn near undesirable at this point. Oddly enough he has the best WAR of any pitcher I have.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50