Eight Managers on the Hot Seat

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Eight Managers on the Hot Seat

Post by RonCo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:15 pm

With the 2038 calendar turned to July and the early season sizzle settling, that hopeful scent that engulfs every team early in the season has given way to a duller sense of reality. Specifically here I’m talking about managers who are suddenly finding themselves perhaps on the hot seat. Last off-season saw eight of the thirty managerial seats turn over. The question today is, which teams are most likely to show their skipper out the door.

At top of the list might be Brooklyn’s Tomas Valdez. Valdez has been with the team for three seasons and has had a lot of success, which makes him an odd case to be at the top of the hot-seat list. And, indeed, earlier in the year the Robins were riding high, and Valdez looked safe. A crash in performance has dropped Brooklyn to the bottom of the Atlantic division, however, and with Valdez in the last year of a pricey $1.1M would suggest that the manager and the team might just prefer to part ways.

Montreal’s Kayne Grandage is 71 by his birth certificate but has been claimed to be at least ten years younger in the past. He’s got a solid reputation built from years at the Blazer’s helm, but he’s also got a $1.54M contract with a couple years left on it and a 110-123 record the past two seasons. Some are saying that he’s been found sleeping in the office, and say he’s on in-house retirement. Who can tell? That said, GM Kevin Spencer is beginning to put his stamp on the club. Some are wondering when or if he might give Grandage the boot.

The next target, New Orleans’s Jose Garcia, also has an interesting situation. Garcia was promoted from the club’s AAA Havana a month ago after GM Jim Roberts first Al Colbert. He has a solid and winning reputation within the franchise, but the team has been horrible under his guidance. Then, again, it was horrible beforehand. Garcia’s contract is up at the end of the season, and some are saying the team might look in other directions. Jury is out, though. Garcia’s work this summer might get him an extension.

Vancouver’s Jorge Aravalo
is 65, and not getting any younger. He’s got a season left on his deal that pays him just short of $1M, but, after he took over in the final days of the 2036 season, the team hasn’t really responded to his guidance. The team sits at 30-53, 24 games out of the Frontier Division lead. Fans are complaining that he’s a bit too bland. We’d guess that youthful GM would find another man at the end of Aravalo’s contract, but the bookies suggest reasonable odds on the end coming sooner.

At number five on the list is Charm City’s Tommy Welch. There 142 thousand reasons why Welch might stick around, but none of them have to do with talent or performance on the field. Welch joined the team two seasons ago as a no-name candidate, but was given a fecal matter sandwich to work with. To be fair, he’s polished that sandwich about as much as a guy could, but in the end it seems moderately clear that Welch may not be the guy to ride the club out of its rebuild. Then, again, there’s the $142,000 reasons to keep him around for at least that one more year. He’s cheap, and cheap is good for the Jimmies right now. And, you, never know. Maybe the team’s kids will come up and make the guy look better. Fans, however, are not so convinced.

Numbers 6 and 7 are a Heartland pair in Madison’s Millard Davis and Omaha’s Quentin Richardson. Both had a season left on their deals, Davis’s for $1.1M, Richardson’s for $886K. Both have been at the helms of their clubs for nearly a decade, and both have shown they can take teams to the playoffs. And, yet, it seems fans are grumbling as their teams keep falling short, and in both cases the fans see their front office working to bring players into the dugout who look like they should be able to win. So in the battle of the PR department, these two managers might wind up on the long end of a short plank.

Finally, there’s Hawaii’s Aurelian Guerin, whose $560K contract expires at the end of next year. At 45 years of age, he’s been with the club for four seasons. Admittedly, the roster has sagged for a lot of those seasons, but there’s been bits and pieces of talent, and Guerin hasn’t pushed the buttons particularly well with them. The club has won only 185 games over the past three years, and a fairly fast start this year seems to have fizzled. Given that fans are barking, and that the team’s front office is controlled by a new regime, we’d say it looks like a firing might be on the horizon.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

handaspencer
GBC GM

Re: Eight Managers on the Hot Seat

Post by handaspencer » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Due to recent rumors surrounding our long time manager gm Spencer has responded. “We are committed to our Manager for this season. We deny all reports that indicate otherwise”

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:38 pm

Otherwise known as the "Kiss of Death."
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:14 pm

I doubt I'm going to fire Tom Valdez. What we really need is a team captain. I thought I got one in McQuade but he is only a leader. Got a couple of guys causing a riff in the clubhouse. As usual, they are performing too well to cut. I might need to make a decision soo. I have some bad synergy on my BBA team right now.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:38 am

I won't be firing Davis. But he won't be brought back after his contract expires.

Perhaps explaining the team's poor play as the manager is pouting.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50