Why Valencia Will Win the Pacific Division

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Why Valencia Will Win the Pacific Division

Post by RonCo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:29 pm

I’ve been on the record as being upbeat on the Valencia Stars for some time, but only now am I willing to stand up and make a real-live, honest to Abe argument about why Lee Honigsfeld’s team is ready to step into the limelight and take the division title from the rest of the behemoths that populate it.

I suppose that in this case, one should make the anti-argument first. I mean, when I say the Stars will win the division, aren’t I also saying that the California Crusaders won’t? Or that pre-season darling Long Beach isn’t going to get the job done? Or, holy freakin’ crap, that the San Fernando Bears’ rough start is real and that they, too, the defending Frick League champion, will fail to take the Pacific Ring? And, of course, there’s the upstart group of Tropics that’s been making the division interesting. By saying the Stars will win the Pacific, aren’t I saying that Hawaii’s hot start is nothing but pineapple and Luas?

And, if so, how can I say all that?

Well, let’s start with the easiest case: Hawaii. The Tropics are certainly an interesting team this year. Led by newcomer Michael Campbell, they’re thumping the horsehide pretty well. But the club isn’t deep, yet, and it has zero team speed. Beyond that, while it’s got the markings of a solid enough bullpen, its starting pitching is Stephen Taub and Luis Torres, and that’s it. I mean, Zak Johnson is good two years from now, but it’s 2038 and we still don’t have a time machine, so let’s just not go there.

Hawaii will fade because they have to.

Give this team a year or two, though, and let's see Zak Johnson become what he's supposed to become and maybe things will be different. Time moves forward, after all. And the future sometimes comes more rapidly than we think it will.

Which then brings us to Long Beach, a team that loaded up on old pitchers in a Free Agency season that had a few. Jimmy Greenwood and Chris Rios have rewarded the Long Beach front office with 5.90 and 5.16 ERAs, respectively. The “next-man-up” bullpen approach that is a Long Beach trademark is working well enough, though, that the club is winning (31-25 as we speak). But the offense has been a bit anemic, and to be honest, with only Michael Best at 23 being a young guy, I strain to see it getting much better. Worse, Best is already hitting .344/.387/.601. I don’t think he can do much more. In the meantime, fan fave Carlos Gonzalez is showing his 33 years, and co-face of the franchise Mark Simpson is also struggling. Newly signed Hotha Popo is also already doing what Hotha Popo does. I do suspect Simpson to break out of it, but I’m not so sure about a lot of the rest.

So to me, Long Beach will win a lot of games, but they will not win the Pacific division title because they are showing signs of age creeping into the marrow of their bones.

Of course, there’s San Fernando that still needs ruling out. After posting a historic offensive season, the Bears are suffering a helluva relapse. I mean, talk about your mean regression to mean.

Lets face it, though, he Bear’s offensive regression is a bit over-stated mostly because we’re so used to lumber-loaded onslaughts from this team. The San Fernando offense is still upper-third in the Frick. Kid third-sacker Juan Mendoza (.386/.452/.614) has been brilliant. Luis Maldonado is still a big deal in right field. At 33, Jared Gillstrom is still a solid enough player, though he’s maybe taking a gentle step backward. And last year’s big acquisition of William Moreland is, like the rest, still being productive, just not quite where he was in 2037. So, yeah, the Bears are hitting—just not where they hit in 2037. And that’s the thing. I suggest that this is about as good as it’s going to get. Maybe we’ll see 27-year-old 1B Tai hoi Wie hit an accelerator, but even if he does, there’s not a whole lot more top-end to wring out of him.

The issue here, though, is a pitching staff that may finally be coming home to roost. Ace Feliciano Rafael is still prime rib, but that’s about it now. Ernie Kinney is 27 and injury prone, Alfredo Perales is a walking back cramp, and Sergei Hopkins, as good as he should become, was up two years too early in 2037, which means he’s still a year away from being really ready…and it’s all showing in the numbers.

In other words, if you think the San Fernando Bears are going to win the division, you have to think the club is going to get starting pitching from someone other than Rafael, and I don’t think that’s going to happen.

But, you say, what about the beastly California Crusaders?

Well, hmm. Here’s the thing about California: They are really, really good. So good it’s almost impossible to predict against them. Their rotation was already the best in the league before they went out and got Manuel Andres, and Andres (4-3, 4.31) has been everything you could ask of a fifth starter in third starter’s skin. Their bullpen ERA is first in the league. They’re first in defensive efficiency. I mean, there’s a reason the Crusaders stand at 34-23, first in the division as I write this. But here’s the thing. Luis Gracia is 32. Cisco Morales is 30. Jaime Mercado 28. Their number four, Miguel Ramos is 26.

I don’t know who it’s going to be, but someone’s going to get hurt. And then they’re going to need some offense.

And the bottom line here is that the California offense doesn’t score a lot of runs. Don’t get me wrong. The Crusaders have some professional hitter on their roster, starting with young stud Raul Hernandez and his 19 homers at first base. Nico Eijpe is a solid lefthanded batter at third base, and Esteban Cuervo is a real contributor in left field. Veteran Claudio Defazio can still get on base. But the team stands 8th in the Frick when it comes to runs scored right now, with seven teams better and seven teams worse.

Perhaps we’ll see a tick up, but most likely not a big one.

There’s something else here, too. Something I’ll get to in a bit.

But first, let me finally get to the Valencia Stars, who currently sit at 33-25, two games back of California.

I mean, holy cows, this is finally an exciting team to watch play ball.

At 22, shortstop Angel Zalapa (18 HR, .309/.382/.623) is now a true star in every way. A year older, 3B Curt Love (12 HR, .329/.413/.651) is a tick behind. At 26, outfielder Frank Mahaffey is an old-timer with 14 homers and a .37p OBP. He’s flanked by two more kids with bonafide star quality in 24-year-old RF Wilton Rivera and 21-year-old CF Ramon Pagan.

Oh, did we mention that the team added solid contact guy 1B Mike Ellis in Free Agency, and that catcher Jose Moleno, while not elite, is one of the upper third of offensive catchers.

There’s a reason this team leads pretty much every offensive category in the Frick league: first in batting average, on-base percentage, slugging, extra-base hits, home runs, and runs scored. The club is second in overall hits, partially because, despite the slugging rate, they rarely strike out (5th lowest K total in the league).

Yes, you can turn the lenses on the pitching and say its not very good. But there are bright spots here that make us squint past the ugliness. First and foremost is closer Luis Ortega, who is the closest thing to a lock-down you can get. If the Stars bats have staked the team to a lead late in the game, Ortega isn’t going to lose it. The rest of the pen has been a bit “meh,” but to my eyes has been under-performing, suggesting they should (key word, should) bounce back.

Same for the starters, really. The big argument against the Stars is that there’s no Mauro Flores kind of ace here. But Lee McHone is a professional pitcher, and scouts say both Zhi-xin Chien and Luis Salinas have room to grow. Niall Hanlon has three quality starts in his last four outings, and if that keeps up, it’s all the Stars probably need. Add in that swing man Jose Martinez has been throwing decent baseball, and that at age 24 he’s got room to grow, too…well.

Maybe it’s asking too much, but at the end of the day the Stars pitching looks like it will get better, and with those bats hanging around, they don’t need to get too much better to make a big difference.

And there’s this, too. Taking a look at that fancy StasPlus thing, we see this (the “one other thing” I mentioned in the California bit).

Of the real contenders in the Pacific, the Stars’ schedule remaining by base runs is .495.. California, for example, will face a schedule expected to finish out at a .503 clip. Long Beach is at .504. San Fernando can be hopeful at .492 (the weakest of all), but they’ve got four and a half games to make up on the Stars. To close out here, Hawaii’s projected schedule rings in at a doable .494.

So, yeah, there’s my case. The Valencia Stars will win the Pacific division because they’ve got the most scintillating young offense in the division, and because the pitching will improve in the last four months—not a ton, of course, but just enough to take the Pacific crown.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: Why Valencia Will Win the Pacific Division

Post by Lane » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Interesting. Bold.

I think they don't have enough pitching, but I do think that the offense is scary.

Then again I thought I had enough pitching before Greenwood forgot that he's an elite control guy and Rios decided to have a super unlucky first two months.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Why Valencia Will Win the Pacific Division

Post by RonCo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Lane wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:24 pm
Interesting. Bold.
Hey, what's life without a little bold. :)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”