The Call-Up: Sim #7-8, 2038

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
recte44
GB: Commissioner

The Call-Up: Sim #7-8, 2038

Post by recte44 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Edgardo "Colonel" Encarnacion 2B Jacksonville Hurricanes
Bats: R Throws: R
Height: 6'2" Weight: 180
Nationality: Salvadoran
POT: 8/8/2/4/9

It says a lot about what your organization thinks of you when you get called up as a 19 year old and immediately inserts you into the #3 hole against righties and the leadoff spot against lefties. It's even more impressive when that organization is Jacksonville. He was up to the task in the early going, batting .333 in his first 27 at-bats. "Colonel" is a classic contact hitter, who has great defense at second base (where his arm limits him to on the infield). He could also be useful in the outfield in spots.

Nathan Lee RHP Mexico City Aztecs
Height: 6'6" Weight: 195
Nationality: American
POT: 9/5/4 PIT: FB (9) CB (9) CU (1) STA: 10 VEL: 99-101 TYPE: GB

A starter throughout most of his professional career, the Aztecs moved him to a relief role last year in anticipation of his long term BBA role and saw flashes from him. Starting this year in AAA, he was excellent in 15 appearances (4-0, 1 SV, 1.82 ERA, 1.04 WHIP) and earned a promotion to the big league club. His big league debut was a three inning shutout save. Lee's control and middling movement will limit his ceiling but he could be a useful big league reliever.

Jack "Waddles" Moniker LF Des Moines Kernels
Bats: L Throws: L
Height: 6'2" Weight: 190
Nationality: American
POT: 7/4/3/6/10

Des Moines' second rounder from 2034 makes the show. He's a "ball in play" type, with great contact, good eye and outstanding ability to avoid strikeouts. He lacks both traditional and gap power. Defensively, he's an average left fielder with a plus arm. He strikes me as the type of player that is destined for a bench role but in Des Moines he will get every opportunity to be a starter.

Kidane Ata RF Nashville Goats
Height: 6'2" Weight: 185
Nationality: Kenyan
POT: 9/10/8/5/6

Whatever "The Plan"™ is, Ata is certainly a focal point of it. The Goats waited it out, bought themselves another year of service time, and now have Ata in their lineup in the midst of a surprising start. Right now he's miles ahead defensively in his development process than he is offensively, and it could be argued that it would have been wise to let his bat develop in the minors some more. He will struggle, at times badly, against RHP this season. But he's SO good defensively- the strange thing is Nashville's decision to put him in right field. The wise move would be to swap him and Kamade right now.

Francisco Salazar C Seattle Storm
Height: 5'11" Weight: 180
Nationality: Puerto Rican
POT: 7/8/4/6/8 CAT: 9 ARM: 4

When you draft a college catcher in the first round in 2036, you hope for a quick rise through the minors. Salazar may have gotten here quicker than even the Storm hoped he would. He hit at every level...up until this season in AAA where he couldn't hit a lick. Solution? Promote him to the BBA! His bat immediately ignited, he's batting .364 over his first 10 BBA games. He's got good contact, great gap power and outstanding plate discipline. That's the good stuff...now for the bad stuff. He's a righty, so there's the reverse platoon split. He doesn't have the strongest throwing arm, but that hasn't stopped him from being a borderline elite defender in the minor leagues. Personality wise, if you're expecting your catcher to be a leader you will probably be disappointed with Salazar. He's been called an "introvert" with high greed and low loyalty. If he performs, that won't matter.

bcslouck
BBA GM

Re: The Call-Up: Sim #7-8, 2038

Post by bcslouck » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:47 pm

NIce again. Agreed on Ata. If you're going to call him up when he isn't ready, you have to put him in CF. Only justifiable reason to have him up so early.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:05 pm

Nice bit again...

Encarnacion is going to be interesting to watch. Solid player, clearly ready.

I'm not sure what to make of Lee right now. That High Stuff, low Everything else profile is all the rage right now.

I think Monniker is a valuable enough platoon LHB with a good glove. I like that he can actually take a walk a bit. Not a championship leader kind of player, but a nice enough part. Better than what DM was playing. Either way, it's also clear he's as ready as he's going to get.

Ata...yeah...I love him, just not in the majors now. That said, a few other young guys have had good experiences recently, and I'm the guy deathly afraid of promoting Thum despite "good enough" ratings because I'm worrie he hasn't gotten close enough to peak. Maybe it's me who's wrong. And, remember, Brett is pushing hard for a playoff slot this year in hopes of financial salvation. Maybe it's worth it, anyway?

Salazar is going to be a solid catcher for years to come, though, he'll probably be streaky with the bat. Seattle will be happy with those streaks, though.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:26 pm

RonCo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:05 pm
Nice bit again...

Encarnacion is going to be interesting to watch. Solid player, clearly ready
I'm hoping Encarnacion can be Vicente Chavez 2.0 (with less defensive ability and hopefully fewer injuries). It's hard to remember now, but for about a 6 year stretch, Chavez was a 3-4 win player and he was barely 20 when he got the call-up.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”