Spring Training Rosters Reveal Differences

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Spring Training Rosters Reveal Differences

Post by RonCo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Spring, while being the season that hope springs eternal, can also cut both ways—especially for players right on the edge of careers. You know who I mean, right? The young kid who might get a spot on the 40-man sometime soon, or the older guy who was recently passed by for Rule 5. Every February, these players sit on the edge of their seats and try not to look anxious as they wait for a phone call that says their teams are interested enough in them to take a look at them in spring camp.

Sometimes the phone rings, and other times it doesn’t. It’s hard for a guy not to take it personally either way, yet a new study suggests that whether that phone call arrives or doesn’t may well be dependent upon the fundamental approach of the organization he plays in.

Specifically, the StatsPlus BBA statistical crew has released a report on Spring Training rosters that shows wide divergence between teams’ approach to camp. While the study is 10,523 pages long, we’ll give you the meat of it right here in tabular form

Code: Select all

Team	ST	40-man	NRI
EDM	70	35	35
YS9	70	40	30
HAW	68	39	29
LV	57	40	17
BRK	50	36	14
ATC	49	36	13
CLG	47	39	8
SA	47	34	13
VAN	47	38	9
MEX	46	38	8
LOU	43	38	5
LBC	42	40	2
CAL	41	40	1
RCK	41	28	13
CCJ	40	29	11
NSH	40	38	2
MAD	39	38	1
NO	39	39	0
MTL	38	36	2
OMA	37	37	0
SEA	37	33	4
TWC	36	36	0
BOI	35	35	0
PHX	35	34	1
DM	33	33	0
SFB	33	33	0
WIC	33	34	-1
HNT	32	36	-4
JAX	27	27	0
VAL	27	37	-10

THE CONCENTRATED APPROACH

Squads like Valencia and Jacksonville have stuck to a smallball approach, and have only 27 players in camp. Huntsville has 32. Des Moines, San Fernando, and Wichita ring in at 33—some of these teams (Huntsville and Valencia) even sending 40-man roster players back to their minor league camps rather than keeping them in the primary spring training facilities.

[ Ed: as a basic process, every player on a team’s 40-man roster is automatically brought to spring training, so sending a player back to minor league camp is an indicator of a specific decision to restrict the play’s activity. ]

Seven teams have constrained their spring camp to only/all guys on major league contracts (their 40-man rosters). This collection of teams is New Orleans, Omaha, Twin Cities, and the aforementioned Des Moines, San Fernando, and Jacksonville. Wichita is in the group, too, though their spring roster is now down a notch due to an injury to Sparky Anderson.

There are probably several schools of thought to this approach, the most notable likely being concern over keeping young players from being injured in the early games. Some could also be hoping for more intensive development for their big-league clubs, and acknowledging that more time shakes off more rust.

“We want to come out of the gate as hot as we can,” one anonymous team official said. “You can’t win a pennant in April, but you can lose one.”

THE BRING A BUNCH APPROACH

On the other side of the coin, twelve franchises have invited as many as 8-35 non-roster players to camp (these are the kinds of guys noted in the front part of this feature—kids and rookies and possible roster-stuffing vets.

Rockville, San Antonio, and Atlantic City invited 13 players each, Brooklyn 14. Vegas 17. And then we come to Hawaii who has 68 players in camp, and both Edmonton and Yellow Springs, who have full barracks of 70 players—the Jackrabbits inviting 35 players from inside their organization, and the Nine inviting 30.

“We’d have brought more if we could,” said YS9 assistant GM Phillip Watson in a recent interview. “But the league doesn’t let us.”

The logic here is as much of a mixed bag as the logic for the opposite approach. “We like to see the kids,” Watson said, “and we like the kids to see time with our big league coaches. We think it gives the coaches greater familiarity with the organization. And, sur, we ease our veterans into the season a little and restrict their opportunities of getting hurt.”

When questioned as to whether the limits on the veterans time may result in slow starts, Watson was philosophical. “Sometimes we’ve come out of the gate hot and other times not so much. Last year we had a horrible April, but we were also on the road the whole month. So who can tell?”

WHICH WAY IS BEST?

One is tempted to look at the collection of teams in each bucket and draw reference as to whether one way or the other makes a difference. But that way seems to lie madness.

Jacksonville and San Fernando are recent mega-teams, and neither of them bring full slates to their facility. Rockville, Las Vegas, and Yellow Springs have been highly successful teams lately, and they bring a bunch of players to camp. Similarly, California is a mega-team that invited only NRI, while Edmonton is a budding mega-team and invited the max. Yellow Springs is considered to have a deep farm system, so maybe this process helps them. But Jacksonville is also well thought of when it comes to prospects. So maybe spring training isn’t that big of a deal to this.

In other words, who knows?

All you can say for sure is that the study gives you an idea of how different general managers are taking different approaches. And that alone makes the topic fun to look at and think about.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Spring Training Rosters Reveal Differences

Post by recte44 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Spring Training records don't matter. Get your regulars in a few games, and check out some youngsters and borderline guys. Who knows, someone may surprise you.

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:37 pm

yup. even if just for the speed of learning a new position.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Gotta knock that rust off your regulars, too. For ST I generally put together my true opening day lineups and then assign backups to start every 3rd or 4th day. If it's a backup that I'm trying to teach a position to or a regular with a really bad injury history I'll bump that to every 2nd day. In the pitching staff, I go with a 6-man rotation and keep an extra arm or two in my bullpen. So, that's 2-3 extra arms in the pitching staff (6th SP + 1-2 bullpen arms) and 2-3 extra position players.

Stats in spring training mean nothing to me, so I never use it as an "audition" period. If there is a prospect that I'm not sure if they're ready for the majors, I send them to AAA and check in on their performance there around mid-May.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:28 pm

With our 2-sim approach to Spring Training I usually let the potentials play the first sim and then draft in the regulars plus any hopefuls that impressed in the first sim to play the remaining ST games. I only brought my realistic hopes to camp as we’ve a shitty minor league system, I’d have brought more up if I thought it would help but I like to get a lot of reps into the backups in the first sim
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:47 pm

I usually bring 27 hitters into camp(3 at each position) and play them every 3rd game. For pitchers I usually rest my starting 5 first sim, so I'll bring up some extra rookies/AAAA players there as well. Second sim I try to cut it down to 30-35 total and let them get the work in. If we had split squad/intra squad games like MLB, I would bring more. Once your over 55-60 though, they just sit on the bench anyway.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:17 pm

agrudez wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:43 pm
Gotta knock that rust off your regulars, too. For ST I generally put together my true opening day lineups and then assign backups to start every 3rd or 4th day. If it's a backup that I'm trying to teach a position to or a regular with a really bad injury history I'll bump that to every 2nd day. In the pitching staff, I go with a 6-man rotation and keep an extra arm or two in my bullpen. So, that's 2-3 extra arms in the pitching staff (6th SP + 1-2 bullpen arms) and 2-3 extra position players.

Stats in spring training mean nothing to me, so I never use it as an "audition" period. If there is a prospect that I'm not sure if they're ready for the majors, I send them to AAA and check in on their performance there around mid-May.
I agree on the stats. This is the reason I'd love to see a real spring training schedule. Most stats still wouldn't matter, but it would give you enough info on a prospect who might be ready or something.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am

Fat Nige wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:28 pm
With our 2-sim approach to Spring Training I usually let the potentials play the first sim and then draft in the regulars plus any hopefuls that impressed in the first sim to play the remaining ST games. I only brought my realistic hopes to camp as we’ve a shitty minor league system, I’d have brought more up if I thought it would help but I like to get a lot of reps into the backups in the first sim
this!!!
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Bumstead
Ex-GM

Post by Bumstead » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:01 am

For me, spring training is about knocking the rust of and making it to opening day healthy. So, much like agrudez, I use a 6-man rotation. However, I try to structure my bullpen in a way so that no single reliever gets crushed with innings or outings. As to the batters, I try to have a backup start at every position. I may use one or two of my better hitter at DH, just to get their bat going. Otherwise I play my starters every 2nd or 3rd day and let it ride. The only difference would be if a player is learning a new position. If I get to the regular season healthy, I don't mind my starters kicking the rust off in the first few games.

Of course, in Boise I guess it doesn't matter because they are all terrible, so I wasn't as strict about my normal process....I did find out why Mace was pitching so often however...7-day lineups were on....and, yes, I just noticed...for this reason alone I hate 7-day lineups...

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:11 am

The past 2 years I have been a bit strange in Spring Training. Ideally I would start with 40 players and wiggle my way down to what I feel is my opening day lineup and pitching staff, however I have found myself much more recently being wiggled down on day 1 with no real explanation unfortunately. I know I am missing valuable time where players could be learning positions as well which sucks..

Guess mark it down for next season...Again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”