2037-2038 Opt Out Decisions Part 3 - What Are They Asking For?

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
agrudez
Ex-GM

Re: 2037-2038 Opt Out Decisions Part 3 - What Are They Asking For?

Post by agrudez » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Most leagues that use a cap use AAV, not year X salary as the hit. MLB, while not having a cap, does the same (including signing bonuses) when assigning a number against the luxury threshold.

To me, when you say that the cap is 110, it means you should be adhering to 110 dollars worth of intended player contracts. Having Player X on a 30-10-10-5 contract means that in year 2 they count 3.75M less than you "meant" them to and in year 4 they count 8.75M less than you "meant" them to. The issue is so black and white to me that I'm very surprised to see an argument for gray. At the end of the day, all you can do is what you are comfortable with - and I'll keep using "square" pieces of the puzzle because I'd feel guilty doing anything else. If that puts me at a willful disadvantage then it wouldn't be the first time. With my roster construction strategy I could go sink my RHB HRs in my stadium mod to .8 and probably win a handful of extra games a year for free, too, but that is as clearly a gamey thing to do as the original topic of this thread - to me.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:49 pm

agrudez wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 pm
Most leagues that use a cap use AAV, not year X salary as the hit. MLB, while not having a cap, does the same (including signing bonuses) when assigning a number against the luxury threshold.

To me, when you say that the cap is 110, it means you should be adhering to 110 dollars worth of intended player contracts. Having Player X on a 30-10-10-5 contract means that in year 2 they count 3.75M less than you "meant" them to and in year 4 they count 8.75M less than you "meant" them to. The issue is so black and white to me that I'm very surprised to see an argument for gray. At the end of the day, all you can do is what you are comfortable with - and I'll keep using "square" pieces of the puzzle because I'd feel guilty doing anything else. If that puts me at a willful disadvantage then it wouldn't be the first time. With my roster construction strategy I could go sink my RHB HRs in my stadium mod to .8 and probably win a handful of extra games a year for free, too, but that is as clearly a gamey thing to do as the original topic of this thread - to me.
I paid the guy 30 million in year one. He didn't make less money. His total money counting against the cap isn't different regardless of how you structure it. It just varies year to year. I dunno. I get the gist of your argument, but I don't really agree. THat's okay. Also, the fact that most major sports hold the same value against the cap every year does say something.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Details shift with every sport, but real GMs still use every tool they have (as long as they understand them, anyway). The BBA hard cap does what it does. If we used a luxury tax it would do what it does. We also share 35% of our gate...we could always mess with that, too. We could just turn off bonuses. Or adjust revenue streams...or...any one of lots of options.

So, we can do whatever we want, I suppose. But part of the OOTPness of the BBA is that, unless we want to manage big parts of our financial system outside the game, we account things as OOTP accounts them. I've been in a very good league that managed all aspects of FA and finances outside the game. It was fun, but quite different in how you'd need to manage. It's a lot of work, though.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:48 pm

All that said, I keep coming back to the fact that this is one of the healthiest competitive environments of any league I've seen in that it's very, very hard to build a true dynasty over the years, and lots of different teams keep churning up into the playoffs. So we must be doing _something_ right.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”