Predictions Pre-Schmictions

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Predictions Pre-Schmictions

Post by RonCo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Let's Have Fun With the OOTP Pre-season Projections, Shall We?

After seeing folks comment on the in-game predictions, I got to wondering…just how good are these estimates the game comes up with? Looking at the forum, I saw Recte posted this year’s predictions in the Sim #1 thread, and added a couple numbers together to have it dawn on me that maybe the predictions for last year were in the 2036 threads.

That’s right. I mean. You gotta get up pretty early to put one past me.

So, using last year’s data, I grabbed the most valuable and Excel-lent tool ever devised, and did some number crunching. How good are the predictions? How many are right or wrong? When they’re off, how far are they off? How many games do they miss? How do they look across the divisions? In other words, can they tell us anything about that infamous “which division is the best in baseball argument?”

As always, here’s the data…I’ll get to analyzing in a bit.
2036-projections-vs-actuals-teams.PNG

The Big Misses

Bottom line, the 2036 Opening Day predictions had some big misses both ways. The game under-estimated Atlantic City by 22 games to the worse, and Jacksonville by 16. In the Frick, it judged Seattle to be 21 worse than they performed. Going the opposite direction, the software scouts gave Phoenix the benefit of the doubt by 22 games, Calgary by 23 games, and Edmonton by 20. It expected Louisville to win 14 more than it did.

In other words, it missed seven of our 30 teams by 14-23 games.

Close Enough For Horse Shoes and Hand Grenades

On the other hand, the game did get 14 teams “right” within 4 games, and even called Mexico City at 95 right on the button. So roughly half the league it gets "right." Not horrible when you look at it that way, eh?

Of course, this and $5 will get you a decent book on Amazon if you look around close enough. No one knows which teams are "right" and which are "wrong" until it's tool late. I suppose this would be fun to do with our Media Guide predictions and team previews, too. How close are we vs. the program. Maybe I don't want to know. :)

League-wide Look:

Here’s the league/division breakdown. Again, data first.
2036-projections-vs-actuals-divs.PNG
2036-projections-vs-actuals-divs.PNG (10.39 KiB) Viewed 918 times
First, the big picture: The game does predict about the right number of wins (81 on average). So that’s good, And on the whole, the standard deviation of the estimator’s error calculated out to be about 10.9 games, suggesting that just under 70% of its guesses should be right to within 11 games. Yes, a pretty wide margin, but then we do realize that the game can’t really predict injuries of trades and other moves.

Look at the divisions, though.

How to read the data: Reading across the JLA, for example, the game projected the average JLA team would win 80.4 games, with a standard deviation of 17.1 games. That STDEV suggests that the game thought the JLA would be the least competitive division top-to-bottom (the spread between best and worst would be wider than the other divisions). The 2036 Actual results showed that the division was a little bit better than expected (83 wins), and, yes, at 16.2 STDEV, was not great, but it was better than the FLF’s 18.9.

Now that we’ve been through that, we can see that the game projected the division’s power rankings to be:

2036:
FLP – 84 wins (13.8 STDEV))
JLSB – 83.6 (13.0)
FLH – 83 (13.0)
JLA – 80.4 (17.1)
JLSE – 79.4 (7.7)
FLF – 77 (10.4)

In other words, for example, the JLSE was supposed to be the most competitive league top-to-bottom (it turned out to be #3). And it over-estimated the Frontier and Southeast by an average of 4.6 and 4 game each. The game under-estimated the Heartland the most (3.4 games), the JLA by a bit less (2.6), and the Southeast by only 2 games apiece. Its average error for the Pacific was a pretty reasonable .6 games per team.

Bottom line: the Heartland was the best division in baseball during the regular season, but the JLA and Pacific will be obviously right in lording their Landis appearances over the rest.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Predictions Pre-Schmictions

Post by RonCo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Of course, I have to jump in with a look at the divisions for 2037, right?

Here's the data:

2037-projections-divs.PNG
2037-projections-divs.PNG (5.95 KiB) Viewed 916 times

Bottom line, the game thinks the JLSB (87 wins) is the best division in baseball by a a large margin. The Pacific and Heartland are close together vying for second best, then comes the JLSE, the Frontier, and finally the JLA, who--per the game--has fallen on hard times. The game says the JLSE and Heartland will be the hardest fought divisions, and, again, the JLA to be romped through by Rockville.

Of course, we've seen just how far off the game can be.

So, yeah, let the fighting commence.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Post by jiminyhopkins » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:32 pm

I don't think OOTP predicted my pitching injuries last season.

OR DID IT?????
:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:
GM, 2051, 2053, and 2058 JL WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2058)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:14 pm

jiminyhopkins wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:32 pm
I don't think OOTP predicted my pitching injuries last season.

OR DID IT?????
:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:
Someone just flashed the Ben Signal!
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:22 pm

cool. thanks Ron
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:40 am

Good stuff here! I would be curious how well it evaluated the preseason predictions on the batters and pitchers as well and where those players actually ended up falling.

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:30 pm

Predictions are really just something fun to mess around with. Once you start throwing trades, injuries, rookies, and of course, the weather in Mexico City, into the mix, all bets are off.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:46 pm

This is really cool. As others have mentioned, it doesn't mean much, but it's fun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”