Is Fernando Moreno Clutch?

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Is Fernando Moreno Clutch?

Post by RonCo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:22 pm

My ears perked up while listening to the guys talk about Fernando Moreno on one of the latest 2036 overview podcasts. Ted focused on the idea that Fernando Moreno is clearly a “clutch” player in the post season. This is, of course, always an interesting conversation—first, whether the skill exists in real life, and second whether it exists in OOTP (and if so, what is it?)

For fun, I’ve been playing some acrobatics with Moreno’s numbers.

I should note here that I’m not attempting to prove anything, nor am I saying Ted is either right or wrong. In fact (to steal my own thunder a bit), while you’re encouraged to think about the information I’ll present however you want, it doesn’t tell me the answer in any firm form at all. Some says that Ted’s suggestion could be right, but other bit throw doubt. So, instead, please take this as me playing with numbers in fun and interesting ways.

So, let’s start, shall we?

THE PROCESS:

Here are steps I took:
  • I put Moreno’s regular season numbers next to his post-season numbers.
  • I compared where his AVG/OBP/OPS numbers were better or worse in the post season
  • I also tallied up his totals in Huntsville and California

Here’s the spreadsheet:
Moreno-clutch.PNG
Let’s look at them one at a time:

Year-By-Year Comparison

Moreno went to the post season eight years with Huntsville. If we look at his first four seasons, his slash was better in three, and worse in one. This might suggest that Moreno is clutch, though I note that the random nature of coin flips says that if his skill is no different in the post season as in the regular season, the chances of this 3:1 split happening is something like 49% (the chances you’ll get exactly three better and three worse is about 37%).

The next few seasons in Huntsville, we see Moreno split his performance, with OBP dropping below season expectations more often than being above it. I should note here that the sample sizes are quite low in some cases. 2029 (an “up” year for Moreno’s post season numbers) consisted of only 5 games, while 2031 (a down year for his OBP) was made in only 5 seasons.

Scanning down the numbers, it’ shard to miss his bloated SLG. Looking at the cause, well, Moreno hit a tone of homers in the post season. So you could say that in Huntsville, it looks like Moreno dialed up the power in the post season. Of course, his walk-rate dropped.

But look what happens in California.

He’s been to the post season four times with the Crusaders. In one of those seasons, his slash has been worse. In one it’s been better, and in two it’s been split (in 16 games last year, and 5 this year). On the whole, the slugging percentage again rises, supporting the idea that Moreno may be focusing on hitting the ball out of the park in California, too. But, on the whole, Fernando Moreno has not appeared to be particularly “post-season clutch” in his years in California.

So, we’ve got a mixed bag.

COMPOSITE NUMBER COMPARISONS

I then tallied up career numbers in Huntsville and in California.

Bottom line, while in Huntsville, Moreno slashed .271/.380/.528 in the regular season vs. .305/.376/.681 in the post season. This increase is palpable, and shows in both power and BABIP—though the stats are made in only 351 AB, so one has to say it’s still subject to significance questions.

Especially given that his numbers in California (.243/.354/.489 vs. .238/.330/.554 … 101 AB) don’t show the same results—including the fact that his BABIP variance in California is harshly down.

SUMMARY?

Bottom line is that Moreno has been to the playoffs 12 times. Five of those seasons his slash/BABIP has been solidly better than his baseline. Two of those seasons, it’s been solidly below, and five other seasons it’s been mixed—all the while leaning toward positive SLG.

One thought here…is it possible that “clutch” exists as a hidden rating, but that it ages like other ratings? Moreno certainly appeared more clutch in Huntsville than he has in California, but his time in California was not at his prime.

Another question that strikes me is to wonder about the impact of ballparks. Huntsville was/is a beastly park for LHB HR, and in Moreno’s last two seasons California’s is likewise. Given that Moreno’s post-season BABIP numbers have been all over the map relative to his regular season performance, how much of that SLG increase is because of some kind of “clutch” rating, and how much might be because his teams play more home games than away (Both Huntsville and California often carry the home field advantage, and the sample sizes are not large…how do you weight park factors into playoff clutch?)

Bottom line is, I don’t know.

There’s enough in Moreno’s data to say he’s clutch, and enough to discount the idea. Randomness alone would say that, by definition, there would have to exist some star players who perform better than average, and some who perform worse. It’s probably fair to say overall that Moreno’s post-season performance has been a tick up over his regular season performance, but how big that tick is, and why it is, will probably always be fun to debate.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Re: Is Fernando Moreno Clutch?

Post by Ted » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:29 pm

I don't truly know if it's repeatable, or just randomness. Someone has to win 8 round mvps i suppose. I can tell you that on a game by game measure last year, he was the difference over and over. Still, if you flip a coin 500 times, you'll gets runs of ten+ heads every now and again.

If I had to guess, I'd bet the game has some combination of internal ratings that add up to clutch. But I'm not totally sold.

I really don't think there's an argument whether he has been clutch though, whether by design or random chance. In 507 postseason plate appearances, his wRC+ is 34 points higher (175 to 141). That's just a ton. I'd rather have 1000 or so PA's. 507 is small enough to incorporate some luck, but it's not like it's a tiny sample size.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:45 pm

You could well be right, but knowing OOTP, I'd be worried to put too much weight into their calculation of post-season wRC+. Not saying it's not right, but I have no idea how they actually calculate it.

That he's been an 8-time round MVP is a nice number--though he's also been in (just guessing here) 30 rounds? Also, all 8 were between 2022-2028, which is really his peak age.

Either way, the conversation is fun. :)
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:56 pm

This is really a seat-of the pants thing, but if you say a super-star has about 10% chance to be named player of the round (which probably isn't a horrible guess), and that superstar plays in 30 rounds, the chances that superstar will win at least 8 player of the rounds is (I think) just shy of 25%.

If he's only 5% likely to win a player of the round, then that chance probably drops to 3-4%. Still possible to happen by chance, but quite a bit less likely.

Part of the miracle is that Moreno has been in that position so often. A strong point for clutch to exist is that he won so many of those player of the rounds in a smaller collection of years. Still...
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Interesting rate numbers for Moreno:

K/AB
-------

Regular season: .227
Post-season: .232

very similar...breaking it into teams (RS/PS):

Huntsville: .220/.234
California: .244/.228

Hard to call anythimg here

BB/AB
--------

Regular season: .145
Post-season: .103

If anything, Moreno clearly walks at a lesser rate in the post season.

Huntsville: .145/.100
California: .143/.114

This trait seems to follow him.

HR/AB
--------

Regular season: .073
Post-season: .102

Okay, now we're talking. That's a pretty big jump. No idea of its statistical significance, or as noted above, his park's influence...but that's a number that catches eyes.

Huntsville: .073/.103
California: .071/.099

It follows across teams, too--though I note the following in California due to park differences:

2033-2034: 2 HR/34 AB (.059)
2035-2036: 8 HR/67 AB (.119)

Regardless, this confirms Moreno has been less patient, but hit for considerably more power in the post season--whatever the cause.
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:38 pm

And this follows what I've felt like was going on. Fewer times on base, lots of homers. And pretty much hall post season dingers are huge by default.
Ted Schmidt

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 pm

I wish there was a way to know the number of home and away games he played.
Roster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:57 pm

That could make a difference, but for his California time at least it may be less important. I always benched Moreno against lefties. And people tended to pitch their lefties when they came to California. So this year Moreno actually had considerably more PA's on the road. It won't mitigate the entire difference, but it makes a dent.
Ted Schmidt

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Moreno HR/AB This Year: *

Home: .114
Away: .079

* I note now that some of my calculations are off a touch for this year because the HTML wasn't updated after Oct 23.

Anyway, this does suggest that if home games are skewed, it will affect the HR rate (duh), possibly to a considerable extent.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:58 pm

Ted wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:57 pm
That could make a difference, but for his California time at least it may be less important. I always benched Moreno against lefties. And people tended to pitch their lefties when they came to California. So this year Moreno actually had considerably more PA's on the road. It won't mitigate the entire difference, but it makes a dent.
Well, it would certainly make a difference in the rate stats.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Also just now seeing that Moreno's card does not include playoff stats from 2022 with Vegas (where he won his first Player of the round). Odd.
Roster

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Fernando Cruz is pretty clutch in the post season too. 346/.404/.607 in 441 plate appearances. 7 Series MVP and two more in the minors.

I definately believe that there is a hidden "clutch" rating in the game. I don't know if it's an actual thing or if it's a concoction of several things that inadvertently cause clutchness to happen. But it seems certain players do have it.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”