BBA FINANCIAL OFFICE RELEASES GATE SHARING DATA?

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

BBA FINANCIAL OFFICE RELEASES GATE SHARING DATA?

Post by RonCo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:54 am

If you’re a fan of the Brewster Baseball Association, and who the heck isn’t, you should consider tipping your hat to fans in Seattle, Yellow Springs, Calgary, and California. Yes, you’re looking at three division winners and a fourth that lost in a game 163, but we’re not suggesting that you thank them for cheering on great baseball. No, we’re suggesting you thank them for their cash.

That’s because the league uses Gate Sharing as one of its primary tools for controlling the environment, and I’ve created this little spreadsheet to breakdown how I think this sharing is affecting the league’s finances overall. This is a bit of a peeve of mine as, while OOTP finances shows how final revenue sharing would work (which is a tool we don’t use, and one I would not recommend we use), the game doesn’t actually let you see the guts of what’s happening around Gate Sharing.

TLDR:

The TLDR version is that you don’t have to actually know anything here other than the fact that I think the OOTP “Gate Revenue” is the final answer after that gate sharing is calculated.

For some stupid folks like me, however, that’s not quite enough.

I want to known how the finances of the game are working and who is paying for what. I want to know why gate sharing is the best choice for our world, and how it’s helping. I want to know why teams like Seattle, Yellow Springs, Calgary, and California are…um…helpful. [grin]

THE DETAILS:

Digging into it, these four teams are acting like a big-ole money pump, pushing cash from their fan bases out into the coffers of much of the rest of the league.

The report details how Seattle, for example, is sending the league $15.3M in gate. Yellow Springs is next, cutting a virtual check for $11.8M. Calgary and California follow along at $8.8M and $7.7M respectively.

Here’s the data, sorted by average ticket price:
2035-BBA-GATE-SHARING.PNG
”The league’s guidelines are that 45% of gate revenue is shared between all teams,” reads the report. This means that at the end of each season, every team sends 45% of their receipts to the league’s central finance office (*), and receives a common amount back. This season, 2035, the combined total for gate receipts was $662M, meaning $298M was submitted as shared revenue, and divided up into 30 packets of $9.9M each. Using Seattle as an example, the Storm actually created $56M in gate revenue, sent $25.2M in as “shared, and then received their $9.4M check. It results in a $15.2M redistribution of wealth into the rest of the league.
* I think the league documents said 35%, but I needed to make it 45% to match Randy's evidence of $15/ticket)
An example on the other end shows Hawaii wound up $7.95M richer. They created only $4.4M in gate revenue (folks in Hawaii apparently preferred the beach), so proffered only $1.98M of that for sharing. In return they received that $9.9M check from the league, adding up to that $7.95M.

You can look through lots of other teams yourself—you might see, for example, that JLSB champion Mexico City was still a “taker” in the Sharing game (receiving $352K), whereas San Fernando’s Wild Card team donated $4M to the cause. Omaha failed to make the playoffs, but are a giver at the $452K level. Nashville gets $6.3M to add to the plan, whereas Des Moines gets only $1.7M.

OVERALL EFFECT: FRICK DRIVES CASH MACHINE

Across the board, $63M in funds were transferred from big revenue teams to those with smaller cash intake. Of that $63M, $43M (68%) came from the big four noted above.

One major affect of this dynamic is that when you add it up, is that it becomes obvious that the Frick League is where the money is. Teams in Frick pump some $30M from its coffers into those of Johnson League teams.

COMPETITIVE BALANCE MAINTAINED

That said, this “$30M pump” is certainly a transient effect. As outlined in the report’s footnotes, the league uses this financial dynamic along with a salary and cash cap to ensure the competitive environment is relatively flat. No team can stockpile financial resources to such a degree as they become a perpetual machine, and no team is so destitute that they can’t ever recover from dire moments. ”Gate receipts are used in defining the league’s future budgets, whereas other schemes do not, so gate sharing is a considerably greater evening of the playing field than other revenue sharing methods.”

Yellow Springs GM Ron Collins commented on the use of Gate Sharing and the disproportionate share that the Nine provide at a local community outreach. “We think it’s fantastic. We can’t play exciting baseball if we don’t have great teams to play against and the goal is a healthy league, so we’re happy to contribute more than our share right now. Someday we might need the extra boost—actually, we needed it on our way up—that’s how the world works best in a lot of arenas, not just baseball. If we do this right, everyone makes enough money, and nobody dies.”

HOW TO READ THE REPORT

OOTP provides us the “final” gate revenue (which I include in column I, and which is the revenue each team gets after gate sharing). It also gives us attendance (Column B) and Season Ticket Revenue (Column D). Unfortunately, it does not provide public data on the number of season tickets sold, but we can work around that a little.

To determine the actual gate for each team (Column E), we need to calculate the amount of revenue each team shares and retains for themselves (Columns G and F). We do this through an odd little process.

1) Calculate the team’s revenue sharing check received by summing up all gate receipts across the league, and multiplying by 45% (which I’m pretty sure is our sharing rate…though the constitution said 35% at one point). We do this in Column I, and get $9.9M—which we distribute in Column H.
2) Calculate the amount of each team’s actual gate retained (Column F) by subtracting their “sharing check” of $9.9M from their OOTP gate.
3) Determine how much revenue each team throws into the sharing pot (Column G) by the equation (Shared = Retained/(1-Sharing %)-Retained)
4) Calculate true team gate revenue (Column E) by adding retained and shared revenue.

The TOTAL TICKET REVENUE columns (J & K) show the overall effect of all ticket revenue (Including season tickets) before and after sharing. Seattle, for example, actually brought $80.27M in through their coffers, but after gate sharing that drops to $64.98M. That difference is the overall effect of Gate Sharing, and is shown in Column N.

I also use this information to calculate what I think are the actual Average Ticket Prices each team enacted throughout the season (season tickets, and price adjustments). In this case:

1) Average Ticket Price (Column L) is Total Ticket Revenue Before Sharing (Column J) divided by total attendance (Column B).
2) Estimated Ticket Price (Column M) is the estimation given by using (OOTP Gate + Season Tickets)/Attendance ([Column I + Column D]/Column B
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Re: BBA FINANCIAL OFFICE RELEASES GATE SHARING DATA?

Post by scottsdale_joe » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:13 pm

I am a little confused by this.
I confuse easily. :shrug:
Here’s a little more info that may or may not help.

First off, there are three possible OOTP settings for “Revenue Sharing”: 1) No Revenue Sharing, 2) Luxury Tax, or 3) Percentage.
I think you are saying that for BBA it is set to “No Revenue Sharing”

The other percentage on revevnue that comes into play is home vs away gate revenue split.
I.e., gate sharing
I believe it is set for BBA at 65% / 35%.
I wanted to prove that

I keep a spreadsheet by sim of Vancouver financials.
So I looked at the sim from 6/30 thru 7/7 this year.
I chose this sim because all six Vancouver games in this sim were home games.
I calculated the following from values off my spreadsheet:

Vancouver has 18,834 season ticket holders
Attendance for the sim: 160,280 (from my spreadsheet)
Gate Revenue for this sim: $554,299 (from my spreadsheet)

Can I calculate that amount?
Yes.
Revenue for season tickets is NOT gate shared (assumption)
Non-season ticket holder attendance for the sim: 47,376 (160,280 less (6 times 18,834)
Ticket price during this sim was $18. (*)
Non Season Ticket gate revenue for this sim: $852,768
Vancouver portion of that revenue at 65%): $554,300.

I set Vancouver’s ticket price at $18 when I took over after about a month.
It was set at $16 during season ticket sales and for the first few sims (before I took over)
There was one sim when my ticket price inadvertently got set at $44 when I accidentally set the ticket price at $44 before exporting. (Not sure how I did that but I noticed it based on poor attendance during that sim.) It got changed back to $18 for the next sim.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Yes, it's a little confusing. I thought it was 35/65 also, but based on a forum conversation a couple days ago, I needed to make it 45/55 to fit Randy's reported situation. So bottom line is that my numbers would be wrong if 45% isn't right.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:21 pm

scottsdale_joe wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:13 pm
I set Vancouver’s ticket price at $18 when I took over after about a month.
It was set at $16 during season ticket sales and for the first few sims (before I took over)
There was one sim when my ticket price inadvertently got set at $44 when I accidentally set the ticket price at $44 before exporting. (Not sure how I did that but I noticed it based on poor attendance during that sim.) It got changed back to $18 for the next sim.
This pattern seems to support the $16.18 average ticket sales that my process reports, though.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Using 35% runs your average ticket price up to $16.99 in my spreadsheet.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:40 pm

And the Vancouver raw ticket sales seem to be:

Season Ticket (individual games): 1525554
Gate Tickets Sold: 642930

So the weighting should be heavily slanted toward the Season ticket price...especially if the regular gate was at the season ticket price for some time.
Roster

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:09 am

I continue to look at this.
Aren't there some inherent flaws in your spreadsheet analysis?

1) You are including both season ticket revenue and daily gate revenue in your analysis. From everything I have seen (and kind of proved in my math in my earlier post), season ticket revenue is not shared 65/35 like daily gate revenue is. It isn't shared at all. Vancouver sold 18,834 season tickets at $16/ticket = $24,408,864. It retains all of it.

2) Your approach seems to say every team benefits equally from shared gate revenue at a macro level. That isn't true at all. The sharing is done on a game-by-game basis with the two teams involved. It is factored into each team's gate revenue after each game. Thus. for example, this year Vancouver benefits much more in sharing Seattle's large daily gate revenue than does Wichita. Vancouver plays Seattle 12 times (6 in Seattle). Wichita plays Seattle three times this year and all three of those games were in Wichita. Thus Wichita gets none of Seattle's big gates at home.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 am

scottsdale_joe wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:09 am
I continue to look at this.
Aren't there some inherent flaws in your spreadsheet analysis?

1) You are including both season ticket revenue and daily gate revenue in your analysis. From everything I have seen (and kind of proved in my math in my earlier post), season ticket revenue is not shared 65/35 like daily gate revenue is. It isn't shared at all. Vancouver sold 18,834 season tickets at $16/ticket = $24,408,864. It retains all of it.
I'm not applying sharing to the season ticket revenue at all. In my study, the $9.9M sharing is based on Gate only...but...
2) Your approach seems to say every team benefits equally from shared gate revenue at a macro level. That isn't true at all. The sharing is done on a game-by-game basis with the two teams involved. It is factored into each team's gate revenue after each game. Thus. for example, this year Vancouver benefits much more in sharing Seattle's large daily gate revenue than does Wichita. Vancouver plays Seattle 12 times (6 in Seattle). Wichita plays Seattle three times this year and all three of those games were in Wichita. Thus Wichita gets none of Seattle's big gates at home.
Yes, you're right there. This is a hole in my logic. I'll have to think about that. Without getting game-by-game logs I don't know how to do better. Perhaps I'll add that to my game log script...hmmm.
Roster

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:09 am

This info is helpful... Hopefully we can release this info after each season is completed. I understand keeping it somewhat private during the season, though I wouldn't mind it being available all the time.

Edmonton is really a fabulous deal for family outings.

It's a little crazy seeing teams pull in $30 million more than Twin Cities with comparable season attendance.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:19 am

Among the points here is that the data is not private at all. This spreadsheet is calculated using only the three columns of data that is published on the public league finances page, so it's all embedded there. Similarly, if I were to pull game log data on attendance, it's all public. Just like it would be public to real teams. The only issue is that OOTP currently requires you to (1) actually know gate sharing is used, and (2) do some fairly heavy lifting to do the math.

Thinking about it, attendance is probably not that hard to pull out of the logs. I'll have to mess with it sometime.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:22 am

RonCo wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 am
Yes, you're right there. This is a hole in my logic. I'll have to think about that. Without getting game-by-game logs I don't know how to do better. Perhaps I'll add that to my game log script...hmmm.
That said, the San Fernando data lines up perfectly based on what Randy's reported. So I'm not sure what's real, yet. It's possible Markus is not doing that on a game-by-game basis. You're still probably right, but I've been around long enough to know I shouldn't make any definitive statements until I actually know what I'm talking about.
Roster

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:36 pm

RonCo wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:22 am
That said, the San Fernando data lines up perfectly based on what Randy's reported. So I'm not sure what's real, yet. It's possible Markus is not doing that on a game-by-game basis. You're still probably right, but I've been around long enough to know I shouldn't make any definitive statements until I actually know what I'm talking about.
:shrug: It's pretty definitely going in game by game.
It's easy enough to see it going in game by game (or sim by sim) if you track financials on that level. I proved it to the $ (in the post above) in a sim where where I had no road games. My gate revenue for that sim was exactly non-season-ticket attendance times ticket price times 65%. I track home attendance, road attendance, gate revenue, and lots of other data (merchandising income, player expense, staff expense, etc. etc) by sim in a spreadsheet. I also do my own projections for the remaining sims in the season (based on expected approximate values for things).

I cannot, of course, calculate preciously Vancouver's game income for a sim with road games because, while I do know the attendance for my road games, I do not know how many season tickets the other home team has sold (and therefore do not know the attendance less season tickets for road games) or what he charged for season tickets or what his ticket price was at the time of the games.

As an aside, I can sometimes figure out what a team charged for season tickets and how many they sold based on fallible but logical assumptions. E.g. from the html finance pages, I know Seattle had season tickets sales of $24,224,589.00 (from the html finance pages). That works out to $299,069 per game (81 games). If I then plug in different even dollar numbers (a reasonable but certainly not guaranteed assumption) to figure out how many season tickets that might be, I find that if they charged $23 per seat per game for season tickets, that would mean they sold exactly 13,003 season tickets (with no decimal fractions). If I plug other ticket values (e.g., $20, $21, $22, $24, etc), then the number of season tickets sold does not come out to an even number with no decimals. So $23 is a logical assumption for their season ticket price. I have never used this for any purpose other than to figure what the they might have charged. I could, also, of course plug in dollar and cent values for season ticket seat cost and see what results in an even number of seats. I have never bothered to do that.

With this final post in this thread, I end my participation in the discussion of this subject. I have my spreadsheet and I am happy with it. Btw, I manually maintain it. It is not grabbing any figures from any data files or game files or anything like that. It has taken me a lot of years to perfect it to my liking. It's fun and helps me figure out what I am doing. My SS all started in Visicalc (which is the application, imho based on 35 years in IT, that popularized the PC for the masses.) That was on one of the first IBM PCs ever sold (when they were actually made by IBM). I morphed my spreadsheet into Supercalc so I could use it on an Osborne computer (which ran the CP/M operating system, a one-time competitor to DOS). It then morphed into Lotus 1-2-3 which eventually became the business world's spreadsheet of choice when Visicalc failed to keep up. And finally it moved on to Excel which may be the spreadsheet that is the only one some people have ever used..

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Post by Joshua Biddle » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Interesting

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”