Buying Out the Contract of an EBA Player

Have a suggestion for the league? Bring it up for discussion here.
agrudez
Ex-GM

Re: Buying Out the Contract of an EBA Player

Post by agrudez » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Manny wrote:I'll be happy to hear ideas on those
I know my opening post, as usual, was a bit long-winded, but below I quoted the excerpt that most pertains to the innards of the proposal from a monetary standpoint:
agrudez wrote:The trick is making it both a 'tough' decision while not making it an 'impossible' one, so for a first cut I'd say a good number would be 50x the salary left on the player's EBA contract for an opening bid (and 20PP from the winning team of the bid, or something). Let's now take Sanguinacco as an example. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that would LOVE the chance to sign this kid. He has 1 year left at 280K, so the STARTING bid would then be 14M.

---

Bids for players with contracts through the 2010 season could be started as well, but the starting bid for a 280K salary would be 28M (50*2*280K), which means that these bids would be much less common (maybe some truly ELITE players would be sought after enough to warrant such a cash dump) – creating a naturally fluid flow of desirable players for auction each season.
I'll need to take a deeper look at both the range of EBA salaries (from what I've seen it is 200-300K) and the average league-wide financial profit (from cursory looks I've estimated 10M+ per team per season) to lock down a more concrete factor for starting bids, but I thought, for now, that 50 was a solid jumping off point in terms of making it a 'tough', but not 'impossible' decision (my main goal - finally making cash strategically useful in the league).

As for massaging of the schedule, there is currently only 5 real life days between the end of the championship game and the FA file date, which means that this idea would need to be condensed into 2 portions (3-4 days [1-2 sims] for the 'auction' and 1-2 days [1 sim] to sign the player) because it would NEED to be done before FAs file (or else it would become a logistical nightmare with out of game contract negotiations and numerous other idioms). I think the cleanest way to implement it would be to start the 'auctions' at the start of the playoffs and then have them end the first sim after the playoffs... that would give a week+ for the 'auction' and 2 sims for the contract negotiations.

Finally, for the misc stuff, I personally don't think artificial limits on the usage of the auction is needed. As Kestu pointed out, a team's internal finances will be enough of a delimiting factor to stop the rampant usage of such a process anyway.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Al-Hoot

Post by Al-Hoot » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:18 pm

50 what?

And, thinking aloud, the EBA free agency declaration date comes before that of the MBBA, by at least a few days.

Not sure where my 2nd point fits in here.

And, yeah, it is easier for me to read and absorb concise posts.

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:07 am

Al-Hoot wrote:50 what?
50x the remaining salary on the EBA player's contract. That is what I used in the example I put together.
Al-Hoot wrote:And, thinking aloud, the EBA free agency declaration date comes before that of the MBBA, by at least a few days.
This actually wouldn't affect anything because you would only be buying out players still under contract in the EBA at that time, not those about to enter the FA market.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:56 pm

:plus1:

This suggestion became the Rule 6 (EBA Rights) Draft.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Suggestions”