Seriously, please find something for this!!

Have a suggestion for the league? Bring it up for discussion here.
cheekimonk
BBA GM

Seriously, please find something for this!!

Post by cheekimonk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:24 pm

The draft with OOTPOU has been impressive. It also has many "bells & whistles" that StatsLab didn't have (LOVE the "Performances" page for each sim).

However, StatsLab did...you know what, forget StatsLab. I don't even care what the name of the tool is or how we can get to it or use it. The problem is that OOTP's "local" data model is restrictive. We can only get the stat breakdowns/reports that the devs built into the game. We can only get the splits that the devs built into the game (and, to their credit, they built in quite a few). But it is beyond frustrating to go to OOTPOU and watch a Gametracker or something else, and then go back to manually parsing out how many runs/game my team scored in Sim #2 as opposed to Sim #5. Or whether Bob Stephan has performed better as a starter or as a reliever. Or getting Manuel Aguilar's stats from April 23rd to May 14th (Why? Because I want to...).

There HAS to be an analytical tool for OOTP out there somewhere. The data is in the league files...I know because I go to 12 different screens/reports and manually pull it out. In our previous web utility, I could see a players entire game log presented just like the "last 10 games" log on their profile page. Then I could see just from one date to another. This is not so much an OOTP bitch as a "software developer" bitch...and, in fact, a baseball fan bitch. Because telling me that there are stats somewhere but I can't see them the way I want to see them pisses off the developer AND the baseball fan in me at the same time. If someone were to argue to me that Andre Dawson was never the same after Eric Show smashed his face in with an upper-90s fastball it would take me 5 seconds to prove them wrong...or right.

My apologies ahead of time...it's just a rant and it's hard to imagine a better OOTP league. I seem to be the only one who brings this up which is why I open up Excel and keep my trap shut most of the time.
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2834-3334, .459 PCT (6,168 games, 47 seasons)
12 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship, 2 GM of the Year

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

blake
Ex-GM

Re: Seriously, please find something for this!!

Post by blake » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:46 pm

I dont even get into it that much. Sometimes I'll look at the last week stats or last two weeks or by month but I'm not that intense where I'm doing what you're doing. I wouldn't mind a reliever/starter split stat though. I can't believe that isn't in there. It must be difficult to put in.

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:08 pm

blake wrote:I dont even get into it that much. Sometimes I'll look at the last week stats or last two weeks or by month but I'm not that intense where I'm doing what you're doing. I wouldn't mind a reliever/starter split stat though. I can't believe that isn't in there. It must be difficult to put in.
That's the thing, though...I don't want to be intense. I'd rather have a thought in my head during my "OOTP time" about why a player is not performing or why my team is not doing better and be able to get the data about that quickly. I can look it up, make the change, and submit my roster. When you don't have the luxury of a loaded roster like Baltimore, Madison, or Cali, you have to search for the hidden things your team does very well and not have your team/players trying to do things at which they are the worst.

blake
Ex-GM

Post by blake » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Sometimes if I just wait it evens out. I think a lot of GM's make changes too frequently. They'll bench a guy after a month and then try this guy and then that guy and it just becomes a mess. Usually they end up near their ratings at the end I've noticed.

jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Post by jcrmoon42 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:59 am

I have frequently found myself equally frustrated over these issues. Every stat is in the computer somewhere. I want to be able to display it. There are too many things that are just too hard to find, although there are still a lot of things that are available. Still the most impressive game in statistical depth, but with some awfully big holes as well.

blake
Ex-GM

Post by blake » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:18 am

I don't know. Is there a point where you're over-analyzing? Theres a lot of data in there already.

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:52 am

blake wrote:I don't know. Is there a point where you're over-analyzing? Theres a lot of data in there already.
I would say so if you're creating new stats by combining others. But when you want to see the same ones just May 1st through May 27th and can't that's a problem.

mrbornac
Ex-GM

Post by mrbornac » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:13 pm

bateague wrote:I seem to be the only one who brings this up which is why I open up Excel and keep my trap shut most of the time.
I too do screen scrapes and dump lots of data into excel....... you are not alone grasshopper

:deadhorse:
General Manager
Buffalo Bison : 2002 - ?
Record 1,496 - 1,582 .486 (The wheels came off)
Twitter: @mbba_Bison

2017 Landis Memorial Champions
2017 Frick League Champion
2017, 2016, 2007, 2004 FLA Winner
2014, 2017 Frick League Wild Card Winner

Al-Hoot

Post by Al-Hoot » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:59 pm

stats
sims A,B,C for each month

first 1/3 of month = sim A or monthly total through Sim A
first 2/3's of month = monthly total through Sim B
middle 1/3 of month = Sim B
second 2/3's of month = Sim B + Sim C
last 1/3 of month = Sim C
whole month = monthly total or SimA + B + C

May 1 - 27 look at the game logs for each player :)

But I agree, Stats Lab offered more flexibility in setting dates ranges.
But I thought that this issue had been brought up before.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Ben, have you thought of going directly to the OOTP Forums with that request? Perhaps PM Markus?

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:47 pm

recte44 wrote:Ben, have you thought of going directly to the OOTP Forums with that request? Perhaps PM Markus?
The short answer is yes...although I haven't gone directly to Markus. When I posted there and got a ton of "welcome to the club" responses I figured I was barking up the wrong tree. Honestly, with most of my background in software development (even though I crossed the "line of no return" into management years ago), I can understand OOTP's position. The game engine is the bread & butter of the app and it's hard to think of a tougher sport to simulate than baseball (well, that's true in the amount of sheer numbers to manage, manipulate, and balance...sports like basketball, soccer, and hockey are probably much more difficult in the "freestyle" sense). Once you move the data from the transactional model needed to execute the game to an analytical one for robust reporting, then the focus has officially come off the "sim" part of OOTP.

So, I'm pretty certain Markus and team are aware of the limitations that come with providing only the canned reports in-game. Not only that, but if it wasn't limited there really wouldn't be a mod community...and that's what frustrates me about OOTPOU. If you're going to mod OOTP's online features, you can't avoid coming up against a decision regarding the default html reports. Where Statslab's answer was that they just couldn't leave the canned reports and be a fully-featured mod, OOTPOU obviously decided that what was there already was fine. It's just frustrating in that data mining is my first thought when trying to improve or make a decision of some kind.

recte44

Post by recte44 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:01 am

Perhaps a better angle would be for you to contact Getch (OOTPOU) or fhomess (StatsLab) and work with them to develop a better model.

OOTPOU has limitations because it's CSV based. StatsLab has multiple possibilities as it's built on from game mySQL data, which is likely close to infinite in its possibilities.

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:09 pm

recte44 wrote:Perhaps a better angle would be for you to contact Getch (OOTPOU) or fhomess (StatsLab) and work with them to develop a better model.

OOTPOU has limitations because it's CSV based. StatsLab has multiple possibilities as it's built on from game mySQL data, which is likely close to infinite in its possibilities.
This I did not know...and that's a game changer. I did think about reaching out to Getch, but he's pretty good at laying out his priorities and looks like he has plenty coming up that even I would agree is more critical than an open analytical model.

recte44

Post by recte44 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:40 pm

I strongly suggest you get with fhomess. Maybe YOU can be the guy to bring StatsLab back and improve upon it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Suggestions”