Rule V List

Have a suggestion for the league? Bring it up for discussion here.
handaspencer
GBC GM

Rule V List

Post by handaspencer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:17 pm

So this is my 2nd Rule V draft in this league and there is something I am having trouble wrapping my head around. Last year I thought I had guys on my list but they never got drafted but I couldn't confirm that. This year I took a picture of my draft list and noticed some on this list was saved at the last second and placed on the 40 man and spared. I don't understand how a list is not the real list. You basically have to select numerous guys and hope they don't get pulled. In the league I was in before this one the 40 man transactions was frozen for the draft sim and the list was legit and didn't change. This worked really well and in my opinion makes more sense than a list that is not really the list. I think it would be an improvement if we could also avoid a changing list and I wanted to make this a suggestion.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Rule V List

Post by recte44 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:18 pm

It’s always that way

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Unless I run an extra sim which I don’t want to do

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:57 pm

We could at least have a gentleman's agreement to get the 40 man roster set the sim before.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:26 pm

I would agree. Its the main reason I dont really even bother with the Rule 5 draft. I did my first season, put a whole bunch of research into it and got nobody. This season I just went after one guy and it was just on a lark. Most likely he ends up back in California before the season ends. I dont mean to create more work for anyone, thats for sure. But I would almost rather just do away with it than put some effort into it and those guys are not even an option when the draft comes.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:03 pm

All that would happen is people would scream and make a million ping commish posts that they forgot to add so and so right before the draft sim. It'd be comical...
GM Vancouver Mounties

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:16 pm

bschr682 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:03 pm
All that would happen is people would scream and make a million ping commish posts that they forgot to add so and so right before the draft sim. It'd be comical...
It’s really not that hard. They just reminded everyone anyone who appears on the rule V draft list cannot be pulled the day of sim no exceptions. Everyone respected it and agreed it was best to provide a legit list. I don’t remember anyone trying to get around it. If anyone said hey I forgot to add a guy the commish said sorry you missed deadline. It might seem awkward the 1st time but then everyone catches on and people come to appreciate a legit list.

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:25 am

handaspencer wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:16 pm
bschr682 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:03 pm
It’s really not that hard. They just reminded everyone anyone who appears on the rule V draft list cannot be pulled the day of sim no exceptions. Everyone respected it and agreed it was best to provide a legit list. I don’t remember anyone trying to get around it. If anyone said hey I forgot to add a guy the commish said sorry you missed deadline. It might seem awkward the 1st time but then everyone catches on and people come to appreciate a legit list.
I'd be on board, but is there a good way to see the rule 5 eligible players before the actual draft? I use the draft list to find my own players. I know I can look for guys with # next to their name, but that kind of sucks.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:28 am

On the flip side, in close to 20 seasons here now, I've never had a single rule 5 draftee I've selected matter for my team (haven't even bothered to make a list for 3-4 seasons) and probably 95% of players taken via the rule 5 have been returned to me. I've never missed a single player taken. Ever. At all.

Of course, this might be different if we followed Kevin's suggestion and the list of players available was actually useful.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Rubaboo
BBA GM

Post by Rubaboo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:33 am

This would be more of an issue for me but the Rule 5 list has no limit to the number of people you can have on it and there's no consequence for drafting a bunch of dudes. I put the guys I want on my list even if I know there's no way the good guys will be available. If someone messes up and you get a good guy and a normal rule 5 caliber guy at the same position you return the chump. I can understand Kevin's point but don't see a big enough issue with it to warrant additional manual management outside the scope of the game.
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:35 am

Ted wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:28 am
On the flip side, in close to 20 seasons here now, I've never had a single rule 5 draftee I've selected matter for my team (haven't even bothered to make a list for 3-4 seasons) and probably 95% of players taken via the rule 5 have been returned to me. I've never missed a single player taken. Ever. At all.

Of course, this might be different if we followed Kevin's suggestion and the list of players available was actually useful.
I am traveling at the moment so I can’t give exact instructions just going off memory but in the front office tab there is a drop down that shows rule 5 elgible players. This way you are not dependent upon the # or the actual list to see who is elgible. The rule V has very little impact on what we do agree with that for sure.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am

Yes, there's a list int he front office tab. It would be more useful if that list was exportable to csv/excel, or whatever.

When we were a growing team, we grabbed a guy in Rule 5 that started fro us all year in LF. I want to say we've picked up a fair back-up or two, and a pitcher who we buried in the bullpen so we could plug him into AAA the following year (that last was long enough ago that maybe it was in a different league). You're not going to find stars in the mix, but bit guys are always possible. I know I've lost a guy or three who went on to contribute to building teams for a little while.

When you're a top team, you'll probably rarely use it.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am

RonCo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am
Yes, there's a list int he front office tab. It would be more useful if that list was exportable to csv/excel, or whatever.

When we were a growing team, we grabbed a guy in Rule 5 that started fro us all year in LF. I want to say we've picked up a fair back-up or two, and a pitcher who we buried in the bullpen so we could plug him into AAA the following year (that last was long enough ago that maybe it was in a different league). You're not going to find stars in the mix, but bit guys are always possible. I know I've lost a guy or three who went on to contribute to building teams for a little while.

When you're a top team, you'll probably rarely use it.
I think we snagged our starting SS or 2B this year in Michael Lambert unfortunately. Garcia will probably be returned as I wasn't expecting to get both of them. Unsure of what to do with Javier either since I both signed and traded for a reliever this sim.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Suggestions”