Idea for Starter reward

Have a suggestion for the league? Bring it up for discussion here.
Ted
Ex-GM

Idea for Starter reward

Post by Ted » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:52 am

We've toyed with the idea of changing the starter award a few times, because it is never used. Largely, that's probably because it's hard to make an award that doesn't allow you to make super players or just too easy to make starters out of relievers, but is still useful. Also, the RP conversion makes sense. Happens in real life all the time, whereas hardly anyone every goes from reliever to starter. They were a reliever in the first place for a reason.

Still, maybe we've been going about it wrong. There's various frustration about the change up development in this game. Some comment that it is often a pitch guys struggle to learn in real life. I contend that it is stupid that it is more or less the ONLY pitch that gets stuck at a 1/10 rating. Some other ones don't quite cap now and again, but even that is fairly rare, whereas the game is littered with guys with a change stuck at 1 or 2. Some of you won't even draft a guy whose change is way behind anymore.

This gets me thinking, what if we made a reward to bump that underdeveloped pitch's development? It could be any pitch, but I'm thinking something like this. On guys that have 4+ pitches, you can remove (maybe just adjust) a particular pitch and dump its points into an underdeveloped one. I'm think of the guy with an 8/8 FB, 1/10 change, 5/5 slider, 6/6 fork, 6/6 curve. Just drop the slider and put the points into the changeup. You'd have to do it young enough that it would actually jump start development. I don't know if that would happen either. Also, in the case of changeups, this may not work at all because internally they require more points. This is rough math but essentially if the internal rating for a slider is 60 on the 1-250 scale, it's probably like a 5 slider, whereas 60 on the internal scale for a changeup is like a 3 change up. Those numbers aren't dead on, but you get the idea.

(*as an aside, I wonder if this is why the change is broken. You have to have a 40-50 or so before it even rates 3, and I wonder if the pitcher just can't get over the hump. Their other pitches get better, the change keeps getting hammered, so they stop throwing it)

Anyway, I don't even know if there are enough players around that this would work for to make it worthwhile. Another variant I thought of is taking the 5 or 6 pitch guy with lets say pitches rated 7/7/4/3/6/6 and telling him to scrap 3 of them and focus on the remaining three, maybe end up like 8/7/7. I'll play around with the math and make some players and see what pans out. I just wanted to get the idea out there before I forgot. I won't have anything soon because I'm kinda busy with podcast stuff at the moment.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

bschr682
Ex-GM

Re: Idea for Starter reward

Post by bschr682 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:19 am

If a pitcher has 4 or 5 or 6 pitches already, he is a starter so I don’t get what you even mean.
GM Vancouver Mounties

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:23 am

Its not a conversion of a reliever to a starter. It's more of a "fix a starter". Maximize their good pitches by either fixing a high potential broken/stuck one at the expensive of dropping a weaker pitch, or jettisoning the weaker pitches to focus on the good ones. I don't know if there are enough of the "right"players around to make it useful, and I don't know how the math would have to work out. I'll mess around with it to get some numbers, but I think it represents something that DOES happen in real life, and could be helpful.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Maybe call it a 'Focus on Pitch' award? But like you said, I don't know how much this will do in the end either, as even if you dump all of the points from a 4-6 rated pitch, it will only make a changeup about 2-3 points better.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:37 pm

I admit I generally like the idea of being able to make some kind of improvements to players like that. But I also think the league gets out of balance when there's no improvement to offensive players to off-set it some. This is a bit of a pitching-centric league as it is, including a grouping of ballparks that is gently swayed that way.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:45 am

Moved to Suggestions forum.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Suggestions”