Suggestion: antitank penalty

Have a suggestion for the league? Bring it up for discussion here.
avery

Suggestion: antitank penalty

Post by avery » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:52 pm

This is mostly just so there is an alternate suggestion to discuss.

We already have this rule:
Tanking

The act of tanking (purposefully attempting to lose games in the regular season to increase draft position) is very much frowned upon by the Governing Board and league as a whole, and GMs are highly encouraged to ‘tread carefully’ in this matter. As such, when especially egregious or repeated tanking occurs, the commissioner reserves the right to levy penalties against the perpetrating GM.
When a team is 17-65 at the all star break, and they finished with 44 wins last year, it is time to do something. I suggested 10 mild, inexpensive fixes. It involved no financial penalty. It involved no forced FA signings (I suggested signing one free agent RP which I would have paid $1 M towards.) It involved no forced spending to meet a certain Salary Floor. Because my main gripe is that YS9 is playing several players (including almost the entire pitching staff) that just shouldn't be there, and replacements were in the team's own Farm System, on the waiver wire, and, yeah, so that to me is egregious tanking. And it started last year with some of these same pitchers.

Proposed Bogus Player Penalty (what used to be called the the YS2022 Rule Proposal)
PROPOSAL: a GM or GMs that, in the view of the Commish/GB/league determines is/are fielding several players that have no place playing in the Majors, so that it negatively impacts the league, shall not benefit from the team's W-L record and that record will not be used in calculating the Draft Order Determination (DOD). Instead, a record of the commissioner's/GB's making shall be substituted, such as 81-81, because the three-year DOD rule was never meant to reward GM's.
Negatively impacts the league. This means, I mean this includes a ridiculous record (16-57) after a 44 win season last year. This means I think this is egregious and repeated. So you got a team that is not even a ML team. That's all I ask. Teams field a ML team. My suggestion is simply a penalty that the commissioner can use, or not.

crobillard
Ex-GM

Re: Suggestion: antitank penalty

Post by crobillard » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:44 pm

This can probably end now. No need for a rule on the matter. I like that the GB handles this.

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:39 am

I mean, it's so subjective. When I was rebuilding Marquette/Indy I could have acquired some aging and/or cheap FAs that would have slightly improved my W/L record, but that would have delayed by financial recovery for really no reason. I don't know where you draw the line on that without knowing the GM's bigger aim (and mine wasn't necessarily a "5-year plan" it was just to get my head above water).
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

avery

Post by avery » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:45 am

The rule or advisement we already have is incredibly subjective, but we have it, and it includes mention of a penalty. All I am doing is suggesting one possible penalty.

This means when we talk about "if someone is tanking", I agree that it is partly subjective. But when a team fields minor league players when better, inexpensive players are available,... I mean do we allow somebody to go 20-142? Teams should be fielding major league players is all I am saying and a look into YS seemed like it isn't.
Last edited by avery on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:51 am

There will be no rule adopted by the Governing Board on this, it will be handled on a case by case basis initiated by another GM reporting a possible tanking situation to the Governing Board.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Suggestions”