Draft Suggestion: Force accept slot - TEMP withdrawn pending testing

Have a suggestion for the league? Bring it up for discussion here.
Trebro
BBA GM

Draft Suggestion: Force accept slot - TEMP withdrawn pending testing

Post by Trebro » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:08 pm

I realize this is not ideal (and maybe not even possible) but until OOTP fixes the draft budget issue, either by removing it OR by allowing teams to re-allocate freely anytime during the season, I would propose that we go to hard slotting. That way people will know how much to budget OR opt to budget less, knowing what their total costs would be.

It's not ideal, but as things stand now, even teams with budgets into the 140s will be forced to guess in November if they want 120 million in cap space, 5 million in IFA space, or enough $$ to go for it in the draft. That's just not healthy. GMs need the flexibility to go between those items as they wish to build their team.

Fixing the draft costs isn't ideal, but it would help everyone to know "okay, I can either put 7 million and draft everyone or make it 5 and draft lower quality players."

As it stands now, they'll have to guess if enough quality players come to them in the draft if they allocate high, and then if they don't, the owner gets the difference. I don't think anyone wants that.
Last edited by Trebro on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Draft Suggestion: Force accept slot

Post by BaseClogger » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:30 pm

I agree that we need some sort of solution. You didn’t even mention the need to set a player development budget too.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

breum
BBA GM

Post by breum » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:51 pm

I personally would argue against this. Your statement that "GMs need the flexibility to go between those items as they wish to build their team." seems to indicate you think they don't. However, you are given the option to budget however much you wish. If you budget $0, you can offer up to slot. You are asking for us to not allow anyone to offer OVER slot. This also means no risk involved. It removes an element of strategy and if anything reduces flexibility for GMs. If I want to draft aggressively, I have to allocate additional funds. That is an opportunity cost that is removed from spending it elsewhere. That is a tradeoff that has to be made. In my opinion, it limits flexibility by forcing draft equality when not everyone values the draft equally. Some people would prefer to focus their money on competing now and some would prefer to invest in the future, and you are not allowing that flexibility at all.

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:13 pm

breum wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:51 pm
I personally would argue against this. Your statement that "GMs need the flexibility to go between those items as they wish to build their team." seems to indicate you think they don't. However, you are given the option to budget however much you wish. If you budget $0, you can offer up to slot. You are asking for us to not allow anyone to offer OVER slot. This also means no risk involved. It removes an element of strategy and if anything reduces flexibility for GMs. If I want to draft aggressively, I have to allocate additional funds. That is an opportunity cost that is removed from spending it elsewhere. That is a tradeoff that has to be made. In my opinion, it limits flexibility by forcing draft equality when not everyone values the draft equally. Some people would prefer to focus their money on competing now and some would prefer to invest in the future, and you are not allowing that flexibility at all.
And the current plan forces teams to waste money and unless you're a team like yours, you can't afford to lock in money you can't use elsewhere if needed. I get it that this reduces flexibility and again, this is only until OOTP fixes the problem, Because they can't just leave it like this. It's game-breaking. In no world is any company required to wall away money like that and lose it at the end of the year.

it's a bad situation all around, but leaving it as is basically tells all but the top 6 to 8 teams in the league "tough luck." It's guaranteed to eliminate any competitive balance.
Rob McMonigal

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:43 pm

I've done some testing and it appears that there are workarounds, so I am withdrawing this for now, pending testing by the Board. This is far from intuitive.
Rob McMonigal

joshd19
BBA GM

Post by joshd19 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:10 pm

Trebro wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:43 pm
I've done some testing and it appears that there are workarounds, so I am withdrawing this for now, pending testing by the Board. This is far from intuitive.
I'd like to hear more about the workarounds
GM, Des Moines Kernels, 2058-
GM, London Monarchs, 2057 (Denny's & Marko Worldwide Champs)
Esteemed extreme ironing coach & practitioner, GEICO, 2046-2056

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Suggestions”