Head or Heart

Discuss the Brewster Baseball Association here!
7teen
BBA GM

Head or Heart

Post by 7teen » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:26 pm

The last two seasons have been a challenge to say the least. I wanted to offer my apologies to the league over my last few sims. I honestly think I've missed more exports this season than in the other 55 seasons (yeah, I've been here that long) combined. I prided myself in being an active GM and in fact it was what made things so much fun for me with this league and the previous ones I've been in. My articles and participation was typically near the top.

But as many of you know, I took a new job back in September as a High School Assistant Principal, Athletic Director, and Transportation Director. This first year has been full of challenges. Trying to get accustomed to the new job requirements alone has been difficult. But I've faced several other issues most administrators don't. Aside from having a senior son competing in his last season of HS baseball (He's batting .575 with a 1.40 ERA, gotta brag some) we've had some serious issues occur that have really strained my time.

In October, we had a young 7th grader collapse at the end of a basketball practice. I was at the end of practice because my middle son played. The kid was unconscious and I was the only one on the scene who had CPR certification and knowledge on AEDs. They tell you when you get licensed that they hope you never have to use it but it's good to have. I had to use my training as the kid was unresponsive. Unfortunately the young man passed away less than 2 weeks later from what doctors deemed to be a heart defect he had had that went undetected. The passing affected me and the community because of my involvement and it being my son's basketball teammate. Fast forward to this past week and another one of my son's basketball team mates had a 4-wheeler accident that also cost the boy his life. The mom of this young man is also a teacher at my school and helps coordinate many of our school functions like dances, proms, homecoming, etc... This one has also hit and affected things greatly. The sister of this boy is a participant of many of our school's athletic teams. So needless to say, my activity and focus here has been missing.

I've debated what I need to do here. If the league feels we need a new owner in Portland then I completely understand. I can't make any promises things will get much better on my end in the next few weeks. We have prom, graduation, completion of sports seasons, etc... coming in the next few weeks. My head has told me perhaps my time has come and I need to step down as GM of the Portland Lumberjacks. My heart says I've been in this league for 55 seasons and been doing online baseball for over 25 real life years. I'm married to this. It's hard to step away. My heart says give these next two weeks time to pass and hopefully when school ends I can devote some more time. My head says it's time to walk away.

I don't really know the full purpose of me telling everyone this other than letting the league know where I stand. Clearly, I don't know where I stand but at least you guys know I'm present to a degree but still uncertain. Again, Matt and the board, if you feel it's time to move on from me I'll understand completely. I do know summer is approaching and I 'may" have more time to devote but not making promises.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Re: Head or Heart

Post by jiminyhopkins » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:14 pm

Stick around here man. So much going on in your life, you need this escape for a couple hours a week. You'd regret leaving. Everyone goes thru periods of less activity in the league and everyone understands. Take care of yourself and your loved ones first, but just remember the BBA is there for a little breather every now and then.

No one has to write 100 articles. Just sign a few FA's, make most of your exports. It will work itself out around here. You have bigger things to worry about man but don't sweat the BBA. Keep your team and we'll all help out if we have to.

I for one volunteer to help with any export you need if your get too busy.

Stay strong brother.
GM, 2051 and 2053 JL 4TH WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2056)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:36 pm

Wow. My heart goes out to your community - that is just horrible to hear. Obviously this takes a backseat to any real-life problems, but we would love to keep you around. Several of us have had to take a step back from activity recently, for one reason or another, so you're not alone. I hope you will continue to use this as an escape of sorts and lower your own expectations. You're a great member to this community and we love your contributions!

Hope you stick around.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:41 pm

Heart wins. We’re all here for you and will help you through

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:42 pm

I second what @Dington and @jiminyhopkins just said. It would be a great loss to this league if a long standing member left the league. Use this as your escape even of just a few moments and everything else will sort itself out.

We're with you bud.
ImageImageImageImageImage

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:50 pm

Speaking as a guy who also felt a bit overwhelmed a few months ago and quit for a while, it's really okay to step away from the league for a while if that's what you think you need. I found that it wasn't totally out of my system yet, but I also wasn't willing to do as much as I used to do, either.

Just do what you think is right for you, right now. Like, there's only a 100% chance you're welcome back here any time.

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:19 pm

Take care of yourself, your family, and your community above all else. With 55 seasons under your belt, I don't think anyone would fault your if you had to run your team on a simmer for a season. I've only been here a few seasons and have seen a number of legendary GMs step aside and come back - or lay back for a bit. Take care!
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

neugey
BBA GM

Post by neugey » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:06 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about the tragedies that you and your students have had to ensure.

No matter what you decide, it seems like your son has all of our BBA players beat! :)

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

KJChmura
Ex-GM

Post by KJChmura » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:15 pm

Hope you can stay and even if it’s a lighter season. Support your decision either way. Here if you ever need someone to talk to.

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:29 pm

Chris - whatever you need we are here for you. I’m so sorry to hear about this. It is a heavy burden for anyone to bear. If you ever need to talk and someone to listen - hit me up on discord. Whatever you decide to do you’ve got our full support

👊🏻.

~Mike

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:55 pm

My God, I can't even imagine all that. Please take care and I agree. if you feel you can stay on, even at a lower level, please stay. and if you need to go, you know there's a seat anytime later.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

RT60
BBA GM

Post by RT60 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:38 pm

Very sorry Chris. I echo everyone's comments. This league is like a family.

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:14 pm

Terribly sorry to hear all of that, Chris. If there is anything I can do, let me know. We're all in this together. If you're looking for a vote, my vote is that you stay around forever.

Jess64
Ex-GM

Post by Jess64 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:22 pm

I have not had the privilege of getting to know you, but I have a good idea about what you have been going through. I was an EMT/Firefighter for almost 10 years and later became a high school history teacher. So I know how tough losing someone is and how those loses can impact the educational community.

Remember, you need a place to get away from real life sometimes. Especially if it is something that is positive.

I dont know what the final decision of the league will be, but I am here no matter what if you need someone to listen.

Hang in there and remember that real life is always more important than any sim world, but sometimes we need them both, just to survive.
GM Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers: Aug 2054 - Present

SFNE
Ex-GM

Post by SFNE » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:26 pm

Wow you have been here for forever! But in all seriousness, i'm sorry to hear all that, and if you need to take time off, everyone would understand. Hope everything gets better!

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Tue May 02, 2023 10:26 pm

You're a hero, clearly a pillar of the community and one helluva dad. You will be missed if you go, Chris, but hope you stick around. This can be a great distraction* and it's all about having fun, the relationships here and having an outlet from regular life, not the OOTP win-loss record or how many team stories you generate. We're all here for you in one way or another.

*My mom passed away in March and the reason I stepped away from the Brewster originally a few years ago was because of her health (plus a little pandemic depression and hectic work schedule) but while I still have a heavy heart and lots on my mind, I'm looking forward to returning because OOTP (and the BBA, the greatest damn league in the world) is such a great outlet and distraction and place for some fun.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Jess64
Ex-GM

Post by Jess64 » Wed May 03, 2023 6:54 pm

jleddy wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 10:26 pm
You're a hero, clearly a pillar of the community and one helluva dad. You will be missed if you go, Chris, but hope you stick around. This can be a great distraction* and it's all about having fun, the relationships here and having an outlet from regular life, not the OOTP win-loss record or how many team stories you generate. We're all here for you in one way or another.

*My mom passed away in March and the reason I stepped away from the Brewster originally a few years ago was because of her health (plus a little pandemic depression and hectic work schedule) but while I still have a heavy heart and lots on my mind, I'm looking forward to returning because OOTP (and the BBA, the greatest damn league in the world) is such a great outlet and distraction and place for some fun.
Sorry about your loss, my Mom passed away in February after a 9-month battle against cancer. I understand the feeling of loss. My condolences for your loss.
GM Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers: Aug 2054 - Present

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Chatter”